The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

7 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Where's the perfusion index and heart rate variability numbers?

SpO2.jpg

Are you an elite athlete? 47 bpm is excellent resting heart rate. There was a time when I had the same, but that was decades ago. Now it's usually around 55.

Why do you guys use a pulse oximeter? I would think it would be useful if your respiratory system was compromised, but from your posts I gather you and @Yessongs are the picture of good health.

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Are you an elite athlete? 47 bpm is excellent resting heart rate. There was a time when I had the same, but that was decades ago. Now it's usually around 55.

Why do you guys use a pulse oximeter? I would think it would be useful if your respiratory system was compromised, but from your posts I gather you and @Yessongs are the picture of good health.

Elite athlete, not any more - if ever. But when I decided to do something about my high blood pressure, the whizzbang meds of the day, ACE inhibitors and calcium channel blockers did SFA. But the old school Beta blocker (Metoprolol) did the trick. It also lowers heart rate. I'd probably be in the 50s without it but with high blood pressure.

Second question. Didn't everybody get a pulse oximeter during the great pandemic?

36 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Second question. Didn't everybody get a pulse oximeter during the great pandemic?

I thought about buying one, but found one of decent quality and precision was more than I wanted to spend on something that would provide minimal benefit. I reasoned that if I caught Covid and was having trouble breathing, I wouldn't need a gizmo to tell me that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

I thought about buying one, but found one of decent quality and precision was more than I wanted to spend on something that would provide minimal benefit. I reasoned that if I caught Covid and was having trouble breathing, I wouldn't need a gizmo to tell me that.

From memory the finger tip ones, even the cheap ones, usually quote an accuracy of +/- 2% in the 80-100% range.

SpO2 below 90% is usually considered bad. Going blue in the face, cyanosis, doesn't become evident until the 70-80% range.

The finger tip one also agrees pretty well with my O2 ring.

Wellue O2Ring Oxgyen Monitor Smart Ring Sleep Apnea Monitor

This is an SpO2 recorder. More convenient than the finger glove and wrist watch style recorder. Records your SpO2 and heart rate every 4 seconds. Detects sleep apnoea, even has a vibrator that you can set to alert you if SpO2 falls below a certain level. Sleep apnoea is associated with some forms of heart disease.

https://getwellue.com/pages/o2ring-oxygen-monitor

Edited by fygjam
  • Great Info 1

Just now, Zambo said:

That's a good record. I have a Garmin watch with "connect" software. If that app would allow data input for BP it would be even more useful as stress and pulse are already there.

The app has a range of other types of summaries and charting etc - that feed off the data you tap into the app.

It can export or import data, but I cannot see any reference to "connect" software, but it is simplicity itself to tap in daily data or a range of historical data via a csv file.

Just show it to my Doctor once a year etc.

16 minutes ago, Zeb said:

The app has a range of other types of summaries and charting etc - that feed off the data you tap into the app.

It can export or import data, but I cannot see any reference to "connect" software, but it is simplicity itself to tap in daily data or a range of historical data via a csv file.

Just show it to my Doctor once a year etc.

Connect is Garmin's software that allows downloading of GPS logs and heart rate data from their watches and handheld GPS products.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 9:23 AM, forcebwithu said:

Well.....like alot of us, I am not getting any younger for sure. Just trying to play the odds a bit and stay in shape.Been doing this same routine for many years now. Like I said, yearly physicals and blood tests to check all the vitals are important. 

I enjoy a little "debauchery" from time to time, AKA Swensen's Chocolate Mint Ice Cream LOL!  Just try to balance those things out with a regular routine. These are the times when I really miss Calif,  not being able to jog outside at the High School track you know? Not a real fan of wifey's indoor treadmill, and neither is she, but...at my age, there is no way I can run outside in this humidity and especially with the air quality here. 

I really like the gym I joined 5 months ago....nice girls work out here and are friendly.....even to me 👸

Hope everyone can have good health and nothing but the best. 

IMG_3099 (1).jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Well.....like alot of us, I am not getting any younger for sure. Just trying to play the odds a bit and stay in shape.Been doing this same routine for many years now. Like I said, yearly physicals and blood tests to check all the vitals are important. 

I enjoy a little "debauchery" from time to time, AKA Swensen's Chocolate Mint Ice Cream LOL!  Just try to balance those things out with a regular routine. These are the times when I really miss Calif,  not being able to jog outside at the High School track you know? Not a real fan of wifey's indoor treadmill, and neither is she, but...at my age, there is no way I can run outside in this humidity and especially with the air quality here. 

I really like the gym I joined 5 months ago....nice girls work out here and are friendly.....even to me 👸

IMG_3099 (1).jpg

aTreadmill.jpg

This is how I fight treadmill boredom, a good music video or a good action movie. Yesterday I watched ELO at Wembly Stadium, for a great fast paced 90-minute workout.  

In Thailand I rent a treadmill for my Condo and watch movies/concerts on my laptop with a pair of bluetooth stereo speakers tethered. 

Edited by CalEden
  • Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, Yessongs said:

IMG_3099 (1).jpg

Is that gym in Pattaya mate?

41 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

Good decision, well I am going to suggest to wifey that we put a 65 inch TV on the wall right in front of this now LOL!  Dam ELO was a great band, saw them in 1976....all the original members at Winterland. 

No buddy, I live in Minburi at wifeys home. This is "Fitness First" Promenade Mall. 20 minute drive to get there. $14k baht all in for a 1 year membership. By far, the best gym I have been at. 

IMG_1320 2.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324 2.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3011 2.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

My TV is 43 inches and right in front of treadmill, for that close that is about the largest you would what. Any larger you would have to turn your head to see fullscreen side to side.  

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Good decision, well I am going to suggest to wifey that we put a 65 inch TV on the wall right in front of this now LOL!  Dam ELO was a great band, saw them in 1976....all the original members at Winterland. 

No buddy, I live in Minburi at wifeys home. This is "Fitness First" Promenade Mall. 20 minute drive to get there. $14k baht all in for a 1 year membership. By far, the best gym I have been at. 

IMG_1320 2.JPG

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324 2.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1326.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

IMG_1328.JPG

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3011 2.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

Looks class, though wearing masks at the gym :default_cry:

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, galenkia said:

Seeing as all the posts on these subjects seem to get spread around various threads, I thought I’d start one where we can keep them all together in one thread.

Anyway, picked up my medication this morning. This is what I’m on, 5mg a day to start with.

BP was 158/109 this morning and will take it again this evening. Need to do this twice a day for the doctor to see.

Also did 8415 steps or 4.15 miles while out earlier.

774DB1FF-EC50-43CF-9E4A-12F5F50D7588.jpeg

Today I started on the same & have an appointment tomorrow for blood & urine tests plus an ECG.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, coxyhog said:

Today I started on the same & have an appointment tomorrow for blood & urine tests plus an ECG.

I had bloodwork and ECG at the hospital, no urine test. 

Due to see my GP shortly to see if she wants to increase the dosage or continue as I am. Need a prescription refill also.

• Thumbs Up 5

My knee has been giving me jip over the last few days ... I first hurt it 30 years ago , trying to play golf ... on the driving range , first ball .. as I swung through I dislocated my knee cap , it popped back into place after around a minute.. was carted off in a ambulance and A&E told me I had only stretched the ligaments .. it always felt a bit weaker after that and in cold weather I would sometimes get pain using stairs ... 

Then in 2015 , I was out taking pictures on the last day of Songkran , I twisted my knee again on a wet drain cover  ... it took me an hour to limp back to my hotel from Soi 8 , whilst getting soaked 555  This time I had an MRI and the doctor told me I had no ACL , but it wasn't a recent injury...

I have done as much as I can over the years to strengthen the muscles around the knee , and I felt great when walking about Bangkok ... but the last few days it's been giving me a lot of pain when using stairs ( Kink was a nightmare ... twice 555 ) , or just standing up after a long period of sitting down ... no idea how I did it or wether it was an over vigorous massage girl 555

trying this stuff 

E70AD437-ABA1-420F-B70A-3B3B1DBBEF47.jpeg

• Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

My knee has been giving me jip over the last few days ... I first hurt it 30 years ago , trying to play golf ... on the driving range , first ball .. as I swung through I dislocated my knee cap , it popped back into place after around a minute.. was carted off in a ambulance and A&E told me I had only stretched the ligaments .. it always felt a bit weaker after that and in cold weather I would sometimes get pain using stairs ... 

Then in 2015 , I was out taking pictures on the last day of Songkran , I twisted my knee again on a wet drain cover  ... it took me an hour to limp back to my hotel from Soi 8 , whilst getting soaked 555  This time I had an MRI and the doctor told me I had no ACL , but it wasn't a recent injury...

I have done as much as I can over the years to strengthen the muscles around the knee , and I felt great when walking about Bangkok ... but the last few days it's been giving me a lot of pain when using stairs ( Kink was a nightmare ... twice 555 ) , or just standing up after a long period of sitting down ... no idea how I did it or wether it was an over vigorous massage girl 555

trying this stuff 

E70AD437-ABA1-420F-B70A-3B3B1DBBEF47.jpeg

This shit works great on inflammation... 

voltaren 1.jpg

volteren 2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Great Info 1

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Called Volterol in the U.K. , I've used before , but thought I'd try something different 👍

Anything that works man.   Fortunately I have never experienced any joint injuries. I do have aches and pains.

I have found that exercise and keeping the weight off are the only real way to deal with them.

Consistency is key. But when I was heavier in weight I lowered the impact exercises. Biggest key is dropping weight.

• Thumbs Up 3