The Health, Diet and Exercise Thread

galenkia

Fucking Gout's back again. 

Not as painful or debilitating as last time, but a little bit worse, more painful every day. 

I was told this might happen when starting allopurinol, i stated them 12 days ago, just taking one 100mg tablet a day to start. And if it did, don't stop taking them, see it through.  I think hitting cadio at the gym hard again has compounded it, going by when it started, though could be just a coincidence. 

So taking  Colchicine again, Doctor gave me extra as well as the Allopurinol incase this happened, also the cherry extract. 

It's apparently the allopurinol starting to work, as they dislodge the uric crystals in the joints, eventually dissolve them. But the dislodge triggers the pain again, it's in the same place as last time. 

Hope it doesn't go on for too long, or get worse. At the  moment i'm still walking about, going to the gym, just a bit of 'prickly' pain around the joints in my big toe, and where it meets my foot. 

• Great Info 1

3 hours ago, Krapow said:

Not as painful or debilitating as last time, but a little bit worse, more painful every day. 

I was told this might happen when starting allopurinol, i stated them 12 days ago, just taking one 100mg tablet a day to start. And if it did, don't stop taking them, see it through.  I think hitting cadio at the gym hard again has compounded it, going by when it started, though could be just a coincidence. 

So taking  Colchicine again, Doctor gave me extra as well as the Allopurinol incase this happened, also the cherry extract. 

It's apparently the allopurinol starting to work, as they dislodge the uric crystals in the joints, eventually dissolve them. But the dislodge triggers the pain again, it's in the same place as last time. 

Hope it doesn't go on for too long, or get worse. At the  moment i'm still walking about, going to the gym, just a bit of 'prickly' pain around the joints in my big toe, and where it meets my foot. 

Touch wood I’ve been okay since stopping drinking and going veggie/vegan.

For my personal opinion diet is everything.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krapow said:

Try increasing your water intake, make sure it totals the recommended 2 liters daily.

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Touch wood I’ve been okay since stopping drinking and going veggie/vegan.

For my personal opinion diet is everything.

You could be right, only started kicking off again since my missus made a load of lamb Krapow the other day, then she made this yesterday, seabass in garlic,chilli and lime, which I devoured as I love it! 

Have to tell her she's not helping, at least wait until the Allopurinol starts to take effect :default_1087:

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, CalEden said:

Try increasing your water intake, make sure it totals the recommended 2 liters daily.

Yea, i try to do that.

Read a few places that coffee, vit C and cherries are the 3 main things that help. I drink a lot of coffee, eat plenty oranges, currently taking cherry extract and eating them as well.

20230317_185634.jpg

Edited by Krapow
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Krapow said:

You could be right, only started kicking off again since my missus made a load of lamb Krapow the other day, then she made this yesterday, seabass in garlic,chilli and lime, which I devoured as I love it! 

Have to tell her she's not helping, at least wait until the Allopurinol starts to take effect :default_1087:

image.jpg

That looks the dogs dangly bits mate

22 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

That looks the dogs dangly bits mate

Aye, it was tremendous. I kinda thought this could be dodgy with just starting the Allopurinol, but after the first mouthful, couldn't stop, was great, one of my favourite Thai dishes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krapow said:

Yea, i try to do that.

Read a few places that coffee, vit C and cherries are the 3 main things that help. I drink a lot of coffee, eat plenty oranges, currently taking cherry extract and eating them as well.

20230317_185634.jpg

Take cherry and vitamin C supplements daily, probably one or two coffees daily, seems to help me okay 👍 

2 hours ago, Krapow said:

image.jpg

That looks amazing ........... finally went to a doctor and got to treat my Gout about 9 months ago.

You and Gal don't drink ...wish I didn't still. 

Colchichine for 2 weeks ...then daily Allopurinol  or 2 tablets daily. Not had a trace since ..... YEEEEEEHHHAAAA !!

WARNING ----- does increase diarrhoea so if travelling Immodium is your friend.

Eat whatever I want including anchovies, liver, all the delicious bad stuff.

Worked for me Orangey hang in there its amazing and life changing..

My feet were getting arthritic ....... now leaping around playing tennis all the time.

f***d up my achilles now ...didn't stretch enough before exercise ...... when will they (I) ever learn?

In the words of Bob Dylan ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, nampla69 said:

That looks amazing ........... finally went to a doctor and got to treat my Gout about 9 months ago.

You and Gal don't drink ...wish I didn't still. 

Colchichine for 2 weeks ...then daily Allopurinol  or 2 tablets daily. Not had a trace since ..... YEEEEEEHHHAAAA !!

WARNING ----- does increase diarrhoea so if travelling Immodium is your friend.

Eat whatever I want including anchovies, liver, all the delicious bad stuff.

Worked for me Orangey hang in there its amazing and life changing..

My feet were getting arthritic ....... now leaping around playing tennis all the time.

f***d up my achilles now ...didn't stretch enough before exercise ...... when will they (I) ever learn?

In the words of Bob Dylan ...

Orangey :lol: 

So Sean, do you take 2, 100mg Allopurinol tablets daily, or 1?  Doctor started me on 1 a day, then check uric level in a month or so. Though 1 is certainly working, as the gout pain is back, though tolerable so far, kinda prickly pain.

And the Colchicine, did you take it for 2 weeks every day?  Says on my tablet box, 3 days max. But then i'm reading if starting allopurinol and that triggers an attack, you can take 1 or 2 colchicine ongoing for maybe 3 months if needed ffs.

If that's the case with Colchicine, would help i don't want this to get worse, going to Thailand in under 2 weeks time, and would take Colchicine twice a day so as not to ruin the holiday.  Had i known starting Allopurinol would definitely had brought this back, i knew there was a chance, i'd have waited until i came back. But like you, the last attack was long and very sore, knew it was getting worse, arthritic, and knew Allopurinol would get rid of it all over time, so wanted to start taking them for those reasons.  And i will hang in there, it was only getting worse. This way is short term pain for long term gain.

As Gal says, it's diet as well. My diet slipped back there to meat and fish, then this kicked off. Not sure if it was all to do with that, but certainly wouldn't have helped. I need to knock that on the head until i pass this point, then get where you are and happy days again. 

58 minutes ago, Krapow said:

So Sean, do you take 2, 100mg Allopurinol tablets daily, or 1?  Doctor started me on 1 a day, then check uric level in a month or so. Though 1 is certainly working, as the gout pain is back, though tolerable so far, kinda prickly pain.

And the Colchicine, did you take it for 2 weeks every day?  Says on my tablet box, 3 days max. But then i'm reading if starting allopurinol and that triggers an attack, you can take 1 or 2 colchicine ongoing for maybe 3 months if needed ffs.

If that's the case with Colchicine, would help i don't want this to get worse, going to Thailand in under 2 weeks time, and would take Colchicine twice a day so as not to ruin the holiday.  Had i known starting Allopurinol would definitely had brought this back, i knew there was a chance, i'd have waited until i came back. But like you, the last attack was long and very sore, knew it was getting worse, arthritic, and knew Allopurinol would get rid of it all over time, so wanted to start taking them for those reasons.  And i will hang in there, it was only getting worse. This way is short term pain for long term gain.

As Gal says, it's diet as well. My diet slipped back there to meat and fish, then this kicked off. Not sure if it was all to do with that, but certainly wouldn't have helped. I need to knock that on the head until i pass this point, then get where you are and happy days again. 

Google the words......   Etoricoxib gout

Etoricoxib may not cure gout......But etoricoxib is a hugely powerful anti-inflammatory....That might help.......A single tablet is all I need....I have taken it many times for inflammation...

6 hours ago, Krapow said:

One a day 100mg. Doc said to me take colchicine 2 or even 3 times a day for 2 weeks first..and I did.

Allopurinol has been life changing. Tried all the dietary cherries and stuff did not work for me.

I do think Vit C and coffee are good ideas however. Plus I try my best to reduce sugar intake as much as possible.

Meat and fish can eat as much as I want plus a few Guinness last night for Paddy's Day. 

Stick with the Allopurinol D. because gout is an evil illness to try and live with.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:45 PM, Krapow said:

Keep at it buddy. Fight through it.  Just from hearing the various comments about gout over the years.... I want nothing to do with it. Back pain is bad enough as it is, but that gout sounds like a real bitch.

13 hours ago, fforest said:

Google the words......   Etoricoxib gout

Etoricoxib may not cure gout......But etoricoxib is a hugely powerful anti-inflammatory....That might help.......A single tablet is all I need....I have taken it many times for inflammation...

Can't take NSAIDs, due to other medication i'm on, hence me taking the Colchicine. 

8 hours ago, nampla69 said:

One a day 100mg. Doc said to me take colchicine 2 or even 3 times a day for 2 weeks first..and I did.

Allopurinol has been life changing. Tried all the dietary cherries and stuff did not work for me.

I do think Vit C and coffee are good ideas however. Plus I try my best to reduce sugar intake as much as possible.

Meat and fish can eat as much as I want plus a few Guinness last night for Paddy's Day. 

Stick with the Allopurinol D. because gout is an evil illness to try and live with.

Yea, there's a GP i've got friendly with who does the same gym classes as me. Was talking to her this morning about this. She thinks it'll pass in a week or so, what with taking the Allopurinol and take either 1 or 2 colchicine a day for the week, only stop if diarrhoea. 

It's sore, but not the same pain as a full blown gout attack. I'll just see it out, hopefully gone by time i fly end of the month.

3 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Keep at it buddy. Fight through it.  Just from hearing the various comments about gout over the years.... I want nothing to do with it. Back pain is bad enough as it is, but that gout sounds like a real bitch.

Aye, it's intense pain, but hopefully in a week or so, that'll be it sorted now for life going forward.

I just had a bad fall,landed on my right elbow and it is well f***d,think the missus will have to cancel her flight to Thailand tomorrow & take me to A & E instead.Can't see me being able to drive or cook or anything.

ho hum....

• Sad 8

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Excellent article on how a wound can turn sepsis in this environment. No matter how small the wound, clean it and treat it with antiseptic, and at the first sign of infection spread, get it treated by a medical professional. 

Medical Bytes: Beware The Dirty Wound

Very nasty, I always carry antibiotic cream whilst fishing here and at home. Getting in the water with some of these fish can be dangerous. 

I got cut whilst in Phuket by a catfish. My cream was back in the hotel, so I used the antiseptic iodine they put on the fish to stop infection. Then treated it later back in the hotel. Fortunately it healed ok.

20230319_114109.jpg

20230319_114122.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Krapow said:

Can't take NSAIDs, due to other medication i'm on, hence me taking the Colchicine. 

Yea, there's a GP i've got friendly with who does the same gym classes as me. Was talking to her this morning about this. She thinks it'll pass in a week or so, what with taking the Allopurinol and take either 1 or 2 colchicine a day for the week, only stop if diarrhoea. 

It's sore, but not the same pain as a full blown gout attack. I'll just see it out, hopefully gone by time i fly end of the month.

Aye, it's intense pain, but hopefully in a week or so, that'll be it sorted now for life going forward.

Cheers mate... hang in there. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Krapow said:

Ironic that you mention Colchicine; today I was reading the notes on my antibiotics and it says 'do not take if on Colchicine as there could be serious side effects'. I am on Erythromycin for Sinusitis presently. Had the problem for 5 weeks so far and this is my second dose of antibiotics, getting on my bloody nerves.

13 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

Ironic that you mention Colchicine; today I was reading the notes on my antibiotics and it says 'do not take if on Colchicine as there could be serious side effects'. I am on Erythromycin for Sinusitis presently. Had the problem for 5 weeks so far and this is my second dose of antibiotics, getting on my bloody nerves.

Yea, ironically the reason i'm on Colchicine is because i can't take NSAID's like Ibuprofen, Naproxen etc which normally get given for gout, due to them interacting with Apixaban which i'm now also on.

The joys of getting old lol.

Still, big toe's still a bit sore today, still like a prickly pain, but more uncomfortable than intense. And this is after doing back to back HIIT and Circuits classes yesterday which would have proper 'worked it'. Physically i feel very fit and healthy despite the medication i'm on, and after a read up and brief examination, my GP gave me the all clear 'fit to dive' approval yesterday, form signed and stamped to give to the Dive School in 2 weeks, comply with Travel Insurance rules, and we're all good and on count down! 

Quite confident now this pain will have passed by the time we fly, after no after effects from the gym yesterday, and chat with the GP who i've got to know from the class, who said it should be :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

After over 2 hours in Watford A & E I gave up & went to Hemel Urgent Care Unit.Got a fractured radial but it should heal on it's own.

Much less pain now it's in a sling.

The doc was a nice Polish woman & we had a good laugh.She said take pain killers as reqd & when I said how about red wine she said that she uses vodka.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

After over 2 hours in Watford A & E I gave up & went to Hemel Urgent Care Unit.Got a fractured radial but it should heal on it's own.

Much less pain now it's in a sling.

The doc was a nice Polish woman & we had a good laugh.She said take pain killers as reqd & when I said how about red wine she said that she uses vodka.

Did wife fly - i do hope so as that reduces the impact.

Red wine and vodka seem very suitable. Beer also good in an emergency.

4 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I had a terrible sinus infection in Thaiand last October tried everything antibiotics etc.

Friend suggested what the Chinese do and found this 72 hours later on Amazon boomshanka .... all gone and take it with me now on trips. Hope it works Dave ....help to numb the pain of Chelsea's season too !!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1