What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

13 minutes ago, Lanzalad said:

Be good to see the inside... 

Every time i've stayed on Koh Sumet its been a complete let down.

Funny you say that. I left the hotel (shack) booking to a mate of mine when I last went to Koh Samet and on arrival the outside looked worn but OK. Inside though was disgusting, holes in the sides of the walls where anything could crawl in, basically a bare shell with an iron bed and really bad quality bedding and furnishings (not much). The girl I was with even turned her nose up, I was not pleased. Due to the lateness of arrival had to stay the night but next day I was looking for better accommodation.

I have always booked my own accommodation since although the outside of the pictured room looks OK.

1 hour ago, Lanzalad said:

Be good to see the inside... 

Every time i've stayed on Koh Sumet its been a complete let down.

I know what you mean. I was a bit disappointed in Samed Cabana on Vongduen Beach last last year. I am at Tonsak Resort atm on Sai Kaew and the bungalows are solid inside and out. Not tired at all considering the age of the place. Only 1.5K a night here and worth every satang IMO. I will snap some pics of the inside of the hong before I leave. There are plenty of posh places out here for 5-6k a night, but I like the simplicity of this place. Plus,  I am in a jungle-like environment but only a 5 minute walk from the town center with loads of restaurants. 

1 minute ago, jcolorado said:

Cursing AND swearing??????? Sounds serious. Wish I knew what a conveyancing solicitor was. Oh yeh - google is my friend.

A conveyancing solicitor is a fully qualified practising solicitor who can undertake the conveyancing process on your behalf, and generally will also have wider training and experience in other aspects of the law. This additional expertise may be useful if you are dealing with other financial and legal matters at the same time as buying your new home, such as drawing up or amending your will. In England and Wales all practising solicitors are registered with the Law Society and the profession is regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

11 hours ago, Baldylocks said:

Good luck Phil, I hope it goes well mate

Same here....

I had an interview a couple years back for a part time job (just something to keep me occupied). After conducting them myself over years and years it was kind of awkward for me being on the other side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stillearly said:

My house sale goes through on Friday .... 🤞

I'm supposed to be buying one on Friday.... after 5 months of seemingly drinking coffee at my expense and doing nothing unless I've pushed her, my solicitor has just presented me with some problems with the lease.... or rather, shes given me the lease to read through and find the problems myself... 

Good luck with your sale

Edited by Painter
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Painter said:

I'm supposed to be buying one on Friday.... after 5 months of seemingly drinking coffee at my expense and doing nothing unless I've pushed her, my solicitor has just presented me with some problems with the lease.... or rather, shes given me the lease to read through and find the problems myself... 

Good luck with your sale

I spoke too soon , the buyer's lawyer is dragging his feet ( holidays .. ) , however that helps me out , my house clearance company let me down today  as well ... so looks like next Friday now ..  fun and games , just glad it's not a chain 🙂 

12 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I spoke too soon , the buyer's lawyer is dragging his feet ( holidays .. ) , however that helps me out , my house clearance company let me down today  as well ... so looks like next Friday now ..  fun and games , just glad it's not a chain 🙂 

Sorry to hear this.... glad it's not just me!

No chain involved in my purchase either. The latest in my saga.... because I raised an issue with the lease that the solicitor didn't see,  and because there now isn't time (because they have dragged their feet so much) to produce a deed of variation on the lease, my solicitors want me to sign a disclaimer to say it's my fault if down the line things get difficult! If I hadn't raised it, they would be none the wiser...

If it wasnt a rather nice sea view apartment I'm getting at a knock down price, I'd pull out...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Painter said:

Sorry to hear this.... glad it's not just me!

No chain involved in my purchase either. The latest in my saga.... because I raised an issue with the lease that the solicitor didn't see,  and because there now isn't time (because they have dragged their feet so much) to produce a deed of variation on the lease, my solicitors want me to sign a disclaimer to say it's my fault if down the line things get difficult! If I hadn't raised it, they would be none the wiser...

If it wasnt a rather nice sea view apartment I'm getting at a knock down price, I'd pull out...

Just spoken to a couple of friends in law and mortgages.... the lease on the place I'm buying makes the property un-mortgagable. Not a problem for me as I'm buying with cash, but a problem should I wish to sell.

All advice is to withdraw, as the seller wont agree to arranging a deed of variation . Oh well.... it was a nice thought!

14 minutes ago, Painter said:

Just spoken to a couple of friends in law and mortgages.... the lease on the place I'm buying makes the property un-mortgagable. Not a problem for me as I'm buying with cash, but a problem should I wish to sell.

All advice is to withdraw, as the seller wont agree to arranging a deed of variation . Oh well.... it was a nice thought!

That's a shame , but with such a big purchase, no point going into it unless you are 100% sure ... terrible that it's taken five months to find this out though ... 

Edited by Stillearly
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

That's a shame , but with such a big purchase, no point going into it unless you are 100% sure ... terrible that it's taken five months to find this out though ... 

5 months, plus costs....

But agree, better to be 100% certain ...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Painter said:

5 months, plus costs....

But agree, better to be 100% certain ...

Did your solicitor not have an obligation to point out the problem in the lease to you? 

Professional negligence? Complaint to the Law Society?

I certainly would be considering whether or not I should pay the solicitors' fees.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Did your solicitor not have an obligation to point out the problem in the lease to you? 

Professional negligence? Complaint to the Law Society?

I certainly would be considering whether or not I should pay the solicitors' fees.

I have pointed out to them that it was me that raised the issue with the lease, and that if I hadn't done so they would, seemingly, be in the dark about it. I'll wait and see their response...

7 hours ago, Painter said:

I have pointed out to them that it was me that raised the issue with the lease, and that if I hadn't done so they would, seemingly, be in the dark about it. I'll wait and see their response...

Agree with Bazle here. God luck and I’d push the sellers agents too as this is an issue raised which should now be disclosed to any subsequent buyer. If o was the seller a deed of variation would mean nothing as they would be gone- doesn’t make sense to me 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just awaiting my wife to tell me if she has leave for 17 days covering the school holidays over Christmas/New Year.  If she doesn't have the leave I am going to go to Thailand and the Philippines anyway.  Will also be staying in Pattaya over New Year as have been invited to a good friends house in Siam Royal View for New Year celebration. Used to go to his house most New Year's eves when I lived there.

I have already booked my hotel in Pattaya at a very good rate, I am sure the rates will rise but my rate is such that if I fail to arrive I can take the hit.

Will also be dropping off my daughter (and wife if she gets the leave) after arrival in Bangkok before heading to the Philippines for a week over Christmas.

Just made myself feel a lot better by organising this. Was going to go last 2 weeks in August but the travel with my inability to carry anything heavier than 10 lbs will make that trip difficult. Christmas I should be fit and capable of even holding up a few San Miguels or walking a few hours around the bars.