What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

3 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Got up early to have breakfast with a couple of mates that left today, decided to lie back down on my bed as feeling very tired.

Slept all day FFS.

Now catching up on a few emails and deciding where to go for a bite of food.

Still in Bangkok ? How long are you spending there in total ? 

I need to stay longer there on my trips , so much to see and do 

Edited by Stillearly

4 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

Still in Bangkok ? How long are you spending there in total ? 

I need to stay longer there on my trips , so much to see and do 

Flew back in on Weds for a 3 month trip.

Going to be traveling around this time!

I am enjoying Bkk, once you get by the entertainment areas there is so much to explore.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Flew back in on Weds for a 3 month trip.

Going to be traveling around this time!

I am enjoying Bkk, once you get by the entertainment areas there is so much to explore.

Not really seen much of Bangkok, done the long boat down the river, the Palace and Jim Thompson House but that's about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

Just reading today's advice given to the people living in a town still affected by the bushfires. My friends own one of the 2 pubs in this town of 2,000 people. They have been evacuated twice already. I hope it ends soon.

🔶Tumbarumba Town Meeting 12/1/2020 1.30pm (please share)

The meeting will be held at 1.30pm every day unless there is a threat.

🔹Supplies:
* The donated items at the RSL hall are primarily for those directly affected by the fires - homes burnt down.
* It is not a shop and open for others, only for those who need the support
* If you still have your house and not directly affected then do not use these supplies.
* IGA is open for everyone else
* Council representatives and Father are running food packs to outlying areas only.

🔹Communication:
* Mobile phone service - Telstra is attempting to be operational today. So far you can’t receive calls or send picture messages but you can send a txt message - very minimal operation
* Optus is working in the township only
* Landlines are working if you have this in homes.

🔹Fires:
* Active fire is in the southern part of town. It is concentrated at the Tumba creek and in hardwood forest.
* So far it is within containment lines
* Along the properties Banool, Camoo and The Point.
* Firies are trying to stop it getting into farmland and potentially spreading.
* There is currently back burning underway, around Mt Gardland Trail in 12 month old pine plantation - this has had lots of water bombing to maintain control.
* RFS have planned the back burning as weather is favourable to combat the main front.
* Spotting has occurred close to town at mcclellands lane and the Tumba Mill side of Camden park road
* Yesterday the RFS advised police to door knock to make people aware of the fire situation. Usually this is a mobile txt but it was not working (and still unreliable)
* Currently the police are acting under section 44 legislation - advising and letting people make their own decisions based on information given. (Not forcing people to leave homes, just providing current information)

*** Police Advice: If you do not need to be in Tumbarumba then you do not need to be here.
Update:

1. The fire will eventually make its way to Tumba. It is currently 10kms away at the moment. The RFS have been trying to stop it but still not controlled. The weather should be kind this week so they can focus on strengthening containment lines and back burning.
* Crews are currently holding the lines.
* One bad weather event and the fire will impact the town.

2. We can’t drink the water - see boil water alert from SVC.

3. Power is still out on outskirts of town with over 200 poles needing work. The power has been redirected from Holbrook and is ‘stable’ but may have issues with a higher load.

4. IGA delivery coming tomorrow. Limited options and minimal staff.

5. The hospital is closed, we do have 2 paramedics
(one from Tumba, one from out of town)
- Murrumbidgee health service is running out of RSL hall
- Not confirmed: 2 doctors to town tomorrow, one at Roth’s corner, one at murray street.

6. Stock are on the road everywhere. No fences are yet repaired. It is not safe driving around.
- A lot of native animals are around on the road too

7. Heavy plant are using road ways, which may take up the entire road. There is a large number of Firefighting equipment - trucks, fire and rescue vehicles, tanker pumpers all on the roads. Primarily doing property protection.

8. Hyne Timber - standby opening, possibly later in the week. They are not yet operational and havnt given a start date.

9. Carcoola and Tumboosh are operating at a limited capacity tomorrow. NOT open for the general public
- Services are only for families who are involved in the recovery period as they have skeleton staff
- They are also well prepared for what may come, and operating on a day by day basis only

10. Do NOT come back expecting the town is functional. When the town is back up and running you will be notified as you have been registered with Red Cross.

11. The town is likely to have ember attacks.

12. Please see Centrelink and use their service as many may be able to get assistance.

🔺Brad from the military spoke:
ADF (Australian Defence Force) Liaison Officer is one of many representatives at emergency centre in Tumut.
They have been tasked to clearing roads, distributing food and water for stock, Chaplin, medical teams, aviation helping in townships and creating fire breaks.
ADF is assisting in many ways and Tumbarumba has not been forgotten.
Use the help lines (I will add here)
The biggest challenge is that fire is close by.

Extra Info:
The Tumba Creek in town was dug out - the decision was in response to the reservoir dropping quickly. The police had to turn off taps and hoses people left on at their properties when they left town.
Raw untreated water is being pumped in, slowly filling the reservoir. However treatment can not be undertaken as usual and they are continuing to bypass this system so RFS has access to water.

**Stay out of Hammond lane as this is also still being used as a fill point.

🔹Social media:
Specifically - save tumba shire - political opinions and agenda’s is not the time to be throwing accusations around about how the operation is going or how the shire operates.
There may be politicians in the area and they are the ones who will be giving our town assistance so it is not necessary to cause issues or to create drama during this time as we do not want to jeopardise our towns recovery.

🔹Mental Health:
Look after each other, we are all working towards the same goal!
Look after friends, family neighbours
Look after your mental health, get assistance if under stress. If you see people upset and frustrated then talk to them.

🔹In Closing:
What the police know they are telling the community and they are trying to get that across to other people. The advice is being shared but may not be being delivered to you all so don’t be upset with them as they are trying to share with everyone the current circumstances. What organisations choose to deliver to you their own choice.

🔸You need to make your own decision based on the information given to you.
👉🏼If you do decide to return under these conditions then do not complain about what it is like in town. Do not ask for more than what is being done. Do not expect timeframes. If you are asked to leave again then be respectful of what is happening around town and the active fire that is there. Be prepared it is not like it was before you left and there will be ongoing issues and disruptions.

Please ask any further questions here and we will endeavour to get a response.
This has been undertaken in conjunction with our local police.
Thanks, Tumba Live.

Wow. That sounds awful

i do like the straight message at the end and well put.

i hope the situation improves soon

16 hours ago, galenkia said:

Not really seen much of Bangkok, done the long boat down the river, the Palace and Jim Thompson House but that's about it.

My previous visits were similar mate. It's an amazing place once you get past the party scene. 

Edited by boydeste
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

up early or late night .... ? 😉

Up early!

Luang prabang shuts at 11pm. Unfortunately, having satisfied the gf's need to give the monks rice, none of the coffee shops are open to satisfy my need for coffee...!!

• Haha 2