What are you doing right now..? (Threads Merged)

Lanzalad

Well, after having more snow on the ground in late November than we generally do by March, a big thaw hit yesterday as a major Pacific storm hit - the same storm that is presently causing disaster conditions in parts of southeast Alaska - and brought warm temperatures and rain. Sections of our main highways were closed for part of yesterday and my own yard turned to ice and slush before freezing again last night. Today is supposed to be just above freezing again but snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow - quite a winter so far this year. I didn't even bother leaving my yard yesterday and doubt if I will today, it's great to be retired and not be forced to go out in these conditions. Here's a photo of my driveway, taken at 11:45AM this morning - note how low the light is this time of year:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, maipenrai said:

Well, after having more snow on the ground in late November than we generally do by March, a big thaw hit yesterday as a major Pacific storm hit - the same storm that is presently causing disaster conditions in parts of southeast Alaska - and brought warm temperatures and rain. Sections of our main highways were closed for part of yesterday and my own yard turned to ice and slush before freezing again last night. Today is supposed to be just above freezing again but snow is forecast for tonight and tomorrow - quite a winter so far this year. I didn't even bother leaving my yard yesterday and doubt if I will today, it's great to be retired and not be forced to go out in these conditions. Here's a photo of my driveway, taken at 11:45AM this morning - note how low the light is this time of year:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Reckon you need some skates to go down there mate

Just watched a video on the BBC News Homepage on the political situation we can't discuss on here- so I won't provide a link.

Narrated by the BBC's long standing Bangkok based Asia correspondent Jonathan Head. It's currently the most watched video on the BBC site( click on news and scroll down "Change has arrived.....")

Nothing on the video, will be new to anyone following the situation, my feeling though is the BBC can smell big story and are possibly starting to raise the  profile of "events" with an 8 minute video.

Edited by Lemondropkid
  • Thumbs Up 1

It is december and getting cold, time to heat up a bit...

Ingredients:
Small handful of cloves
Small handful of star anise
Big handful of raisins
Big handful of almonds (blanched and peeled)
2 sticks of cinnamon
1-2  tea spoons of brown sugar
Peel from an orange.
3 decilitres of aquavit, vodka or köm.
3 decilitres of port wine or madeira
2 bottles of redwine

Part 1:
Mix all dry ingredients in a jar, add aquavit and port wine. Tighten a lid on the jar, and store in fridge for 24 hours.

Part 2:
After 24 hours, empty the jar into a cooking pot, add redwine, and heat - don't boil (Alcohol evaporates at 78c so keep it below 70c preferably). Remove cinnamon sticks, star anise and orange peel.

Part 3:
Drink while warm.

• Like 2

Wondering whether to go to see a doctor about my knee.

I have strained the ligament at the back of my knee after missing a step and coming down hard on my right foot.

Been taking ibruprofen for a couple of weeks now and using frozen gel compresses but it does not seem to be getting better. It takes pro footballers several weeks sometimes to get over ligament strains and they get treatment every day.

Standing does not hurt but as soon as I bend the leg much I get pain at the back of the knee where the ligament disappears. During my sleep I must bend that leg because I wake with pain which soon goes after I start walking unless I bend the leg much.

I wonder if a cortisone injection might be the answer?

On 12/4/2020 at 2:08 AM, maipenrai said:

Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

Man, I haven't been in snow for about 30+ years ...

2 hours ago, Jambo said:

Wondering whether to go to see a doctor about my knee.

I have strained the ligament at the back of my knee after missing a step and coming down hard on my right foot.

Been taking ibruprofen for a couple of weeks now and using frozen gel compresses but it does not seem to be getting better. It takes pro footballers several weeks sometimes to get over ligament strains and they get treatment every day.

Standing does not hurt but as soon as I bend the leg much I get pain at the back of the knee where the ligament disappears. During my sleep I must bend that leg because I wake with pain which soon goes after I start walking unless I bend the leg much.

I wonder if a cortisone injection might be the answer?

Go get a massage ... get some Tiger balm ... try that before you go see a Doctor ....

I "trashed" a ligament playing basketball in my left ankle years ago .. it has never been the same .. it swelled up so big I was in a cast for 6 weeks ... I am certain that kept me from playing pro ball .. LOL .. LOL .. LOL

I am serious about the Tiger balm ( it is magical ) and getting a couple .. three or four .. massages ...

Doctors are always my last resort ..... and I work at hospitals .. f**k me .. LOL

I have known this gal a long time ( now she is about 36 - 37 - 38 ) .. she came over last night .. a Muslim Thai gal .. she is honest and has a good heart ... she is still really good looking but about 15 years ago she was stunning .. really 

Yep .. she still puts on the Muslim garb every weekend ... yea, we used to f**k like rabbits .. but, I found beach gal and she was semi forced to marry a guy she doesn't really love ... she is a strong gal .. her Mom just died ... so we sat around and just talked .. being a good friend to her ... it is important I think ..

IMG_6019[1].JPG

Edited by code_slayer_bkk
  • Like 5

On 12/4/2020 at 2:04 PM, Lemondropkid said:

Just watched a video on the BBC News Homepage on the political situation we can't discuss on here- so I won't provide a link.

Narrated by the BBC's long standing Bangkok based Asia correspondent Jonathan Head. It's currently the most watched video on the BBC site( click on news and scroll down "Change has arrived.....")

Nothing on the video, will be new to anyone following the situation, my feeling though is the BBC can smell big story and are possibly starting to raise the  profile of "events" with an 8 minute video.

I saw that on the beeb website, really quite surprised it wasn't geo blocked here in Thailand.

• Surprised 1

A group of mini bikes fans at the resort since yesterday.

Obviously not poor people as they had their bikes trucked in from Jakarta. And here those things are not cheap to start with !

They plan to drive all around Bali during a week.

And, no I dont participate... Hell I would look like Pancho Villa on one of those things ....

20201206_105902_copy_768x1024.jpg

6 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

A group of mini bikes fans at the resort since yesterday.

Obviously not poor people as they had their bikes trucked in from Jakarta. And here those things are not cheap to start with !

They plan to drive all around Bali during a week.

And, no I dont participate... Hell I would look like Pancho Villa on one of those things ....

20201206_105902_copy_768x1024.jpg

Think they are just fold up bikes aren’t they?

• Like 1

A client has just messaged me saying that his girls are reporting getting electric shocks when using the showers ( in an old building in central Pattaya ). I've messaged him back saying DON'T USE THEM ! He's asking "Any ideas what would cause this as wasn't an issue before? Apparently its both rooms so we cannot use them until they are safe. Why would this happen all of a sudden ?"

To which I replied :-

It's a wiring fault somewhere. Possibly water got into the electrics.

From memory, the shower units are "basic" i.e. no inbuilt protection.

I haven't seen any protection built into the Consumer Units / MDB's - but then I haven't really looked.

From what I've seen of the wiring, fitting protection in the MDB's probably wouldn't work because of the poor state of the wiring. You'd be getting what are called "phantom trips" - trips for no apparent reason.

"Okay so best option would be?"

Electrical survey, which will probably prove what I already suspect.

If the existing cables are deemed adequate, upgrade the showers to ones with in-built protection.

If the cables are not deemed adequate, re-wire with protection provided at the MDB's.

"I can't afford that it will cost me a fortune. Sorry I need a safe repair yes but not a Rolls Royce solution."

What the f**k am I supposed to Say ? I have no interest in trying to do electrical work "on the cheap". Electricity kills, especially when combined with water.

31 minutes ago, Proffesor said:

A client has just messaged me saying that his girls are reporting getting electric shocks when using the showers ( in an old building in central Pattaya ). I've messaged him back saying DON'T USE THEM ! He's asking "Any ideas what would cause this as wasn't an issue before? Apparently its both rooms so we cannot use them until they are safe. Why would this happen all of a sudden ?"

I haven't seen any protection built into the Consumer Units / MDB's - but then I haven't really looked.

From what I've seen of the wiring, fitting protection in the MDB's probably wouldn't work because of the poor state of the wiring. You'd be getting what are called "phantom trips" - trips for no apparent reason.

If the existing cables are deemed adequate, upgrade the showers to ones with in-built protection.

If the cables are not deemed adequate, re-wire with protection provided at the MDB's.

"I can't afford that it will cost me a fortune. Sorry I need a safe repair yes but not a Rolls Royce solution."

What the f**k am I supposed to Say ? I have no interest in trying to do electrical work "on the cheap". Electricity kills, especially when combined with water.

A bloke I used to know has a guesthouse and said to me one morning that a bloke staying there had complained that girls were getting shocks from the shower and could I have a look as he knew I'd done a couple of houses in the UK. Sure enough there was a slight leak onto the electrics and a quick tighten up and it was sorted.

Then I saw that the shower had been wired into the light fitting and suggested to him he may want to get it checked and sorted by a decent electrician. He said along the same lines as your bloke that it'd cost too much and it'd be alright.

1 hour ago, Sangsom said:

Think they are just fold up bikes aren’t they?

IMO yes, considering the folding wheel. But seeing the size of the wheels I called them mini.

I had a look, and seeing the quality and finition it are definitively not some Chinese shit.

Will try to make a few closer pics tmrw.

1 hour ago, Proffesor said:

Or someone just came along and stole the earth stake.