Renewing A Thai Driving Licence - a few questions.

Horizondave

I have both a Thai car and Thai motorbike licence. It runs out on 09 July 2023.

I am aware that you can renew it around 3 months before and up to a year after without causing issues.

My first question I think I can answer but - it is true that you need to attend a licence centre to renew it, this can not be done by somebody else?  Reason I ask is that I really wasn't coming to Thailand this year so would love to know if it can be renewed without attendance. If I do need to attend I may travel for 1 week in August to either Khon Kaen or Pattaya. Khon Kaen because that is where the licence was last renewed against my wife's Housebook, Pattaya because it allows me to enjoy some entertainment during my short stay.

Second question - are there any companies that I can use to assist me to get this done quick. i.e. they will help me get the paperwork done which I assume includes an immigration letter confirming address (is a hotel OK because I am just visiting) and go with me to the licence centre (preferably Highway 36). I presume I will still need to do the practical tests (reaction, periphery vision etc.) and watch a video. My concern is if it needs to be a residential address on the immigration letter then do I need to be in Khon Kaen or get a copy of the Housebook.

Really, I just want to come to Thailand, day after arrival go to a licence centre and have my licences renewed then spend 4-5 days enjoying my trip. I have renewed these licences twice before.

What are my options guys and what would be likely costs involved using an agent if possible.

33 minutes ago, fygjam said:

Wouldn't you need a doppelganger to do it for you?

As I recall, the photo is photographed directly onto the license (at a licensing centre).

Part of the reason I believe it is mandatory for personal attendance. Wondered if they could just take the old licence and reprint with a new date, same photo. Probably need to be in Thailand so looking for agent assist info and if staying in a hotel is an issue.

you have to physically go.  no one lese can do for you

you could pay someone to hold your hand, but its pointless.  make an appointment.  go to immigration, pay 100 baht ish and get a letter saying where you live, you dont need the housebook, and bobs your uncle

two copies of everything, 1 for bike 1 for car

Don't these days you have to do some sort of online test. I also think there may be a need to book an appointment date to do the renewal and not just turn up.

Just looked and both of my licences expire next month. I was not planning a trip in the near future but don't want to go through the whole licence process for a third time.

Edited by thegrogmonster

2 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

Don't these days you have to do some sort of online test. I also think there may be a need to book an appointment date to do the renewal and not just turn up.

Previously I have just turned up and done the practical tests and video, no need to do the online test again.

2 hours ago, tommy dee said:

you have to physically go.  no one lese can do for you

you could pay someone to hold your hand, but its pointless.  make an appointment.  go to immigration, pay 100 baht ish and get a letter saying where you live, you dont need the housebook, and bobs your uncle

two copies of everything, 1 for bike 1 for car

I understand that my presence will be required sadly but I was thinking of getting an agent to hurry up the process and help get an immigration letter. I was wondering whether being in a hotel will prevent me getting the appropriate letter and therefore (like with visas) getting an agent may assist with the whole process without dealing with jobsworth immigration officers etc.

I will be on a short 5-7 day trip so looking to hurry up the process and ensure I don't get told at the licence centre that I am too late or come back tomorrow. Assuming an agent will get it all sorted when I want it sorted!

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

I will be on a short 5-7 day trip so looking to hurry up the process and ensure I don't get told at the licence centre that I am too late or come back tomorrow. Assuming an agent will get it all sorted when I want it sorted!

In days gone by, the TGF of the time used to go to the licensing centre in Rayong, said it was much quicker than the Eastern Verification Center.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

It used to be if you can wait until just after the expiration/birthday date, you can squeak out an extra year on the new license since the expiration date will be five years from your next birthday.

I think you are on the button there. I will be going to Thailand a month after expiry at the earliest so may work out well.

15 minutes ago, AJSP said:

Just an aside, I renewed my 5-year licences last April and had an arsey lady tell me I couldn’t get another 5-year as my visa was only a visitor/ on entry so she gave me 2 years

Unfortunately those are the rules. Think in years gone by they were more relaxed about giving out the 5 year license. If they were smart they'd continue to do so as it would significantly reduce their workload.

• Like 1

So had a look and my licence expires in April 2023 and the wife's licence in June 2023. The plan is now to go to Thailand in March 2024 and get them renewed in Udon Thani.

I have been caught out before not having the right visa when renewing the licence. It would be good in Thailand puts Australia on the e-visa program by then.

Edited by thegrogmonster

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2023 at 7:47 AM, AJSP said:

Just an aside, I renewed my 5-year licences last April and had an arsey lady tell me I couldn’t get another 5-year as my visa was only a visitor/ on entry so she gave me 2 years

As I am now booked to go in September (licence runs out in July 23), even though my licence might be renewed for only 2 years, do you know if that 2 years would be from my next birthday which would be 2 years from July 2024.

That would almost give me 3 years if I fail to get a 5 year renewal, that is not so bad.

I will probably get it done in Hua Hin (I think Pranburi for renewal) and will try to find an agent that would be able to assist in getting a 5 year on my 30 day entry. Of course I could try and get a 90 day visa (non O, if it is possible) to help get the 5 year.

Either way I will go to Hua Hin for 10 days, need a break.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Horizondave said:

As I am now booked to go in September (licence runs out in July 23), even though my licence might be renewed for only 2 years, do you know if that 2 years would be from my next birthday which would be 2 years from July 2024.

That would almost give me 3 years if I fail to get a 5 year renewal, that is not so bad.

I will probably get it done in Hua Hin (I think Pranburi for renewal) and will try to find an agent that would be able to assist in getting a 5 year on my 30 day entry. Of course I could try and get a 90 day visa (non O, if it is possible) to help get the 5 year.

My experience was negative but I think different offices will vary - May pay to get a non o in cardiff before travel if they still do it as you’ll stand a greater chance of a 5. Not sure they add months on anymore 

11 hours ago, AJSP said:

My experience was negative but I think different offices will vary - May pay to get a non o in cardiff before travel if they still do it as you’ll stand a greater chance of a 5. Not sure they add months on anymore 

The more I think about it I just think I will just go and get what I get given. Getting a Non O isn't simple, too many documents etc., and the extra travel to Cardiff or London isn't really rocking my boat.

I am not so worried about my car driving licence as I can use my UK licence with an International Driving permit. It is the bike licence I want to keep going as I do not have a reciprocal bike licence in the UK and I don't want to lose the Thai one.  If they give me 2 years I do expect to travel to Thailand at least every few years and may even retire back to Thailand in the future so sorting out things will be easier.  

• Like 1

Just now, Horizondave said:

The more I think about it I just think I will just go and get what I get given. Getting a Non O isn't simple, too many documents etc., and the extra travel to Cardiff or London isn't really rocking my boat.

I am not so worried about my car driving licence as I can use my UK licence with an International Driving permit. It is the bike licence I want to keep going as I do not have a reciprocal bike licence in the UK and I don't want to lose the Thai one.  If they give me 2 years I do expect to travel to Thailand at least every few years and may even retire back to Thailand in the future so sorting out things will be easier.  

Getting a visa is done online... no visits to Cardiff or London required

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Painter said:

Getting a visa is done online... no visits to Cardiff or London required

So you would just need to download documents etc. I had a quick look at the documents etc., and thought, oh blimey, all those to get prepared but I will have another look now. Maybe just a small inconvenience but maybe a better outcome for a 5 year licence renewal. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

So you would just need to download documents etc. I had a quick look at the documents etc., and thought, oh blimey, all those to get prepared but I will have another look now. Maybe just a small inconvenience but maybe a better outcome for a 5 year licence renewal. Thanks

From memory .... I applied 2 years ago.... I uploaded a pic of my passport 3 or 4 times. Can't remember what else was needed I'm afraid

1 minute ago, Painter said:

From memory .... I applied 2 years ago.... I uploaded a pic of my passport 3 or 4 times. Can't remember what else was needed I'm afraid

I think marriage certificate, finances etc., but I will check. 

Edited by Horizondave
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/19/2023 at 8:40 PM, Horizondave said:

In general, a two year license is two years from the date of issue. A 5 year license is 5 years out from your next birthday.

Oh, if you get the Non-IM O Visa here in Thailand, it is not as onerous if you use an agent. However, that would required that you are here in Thailand for close to a month. Several board members and myself use Maneerat on soi Post Office (13/2) in Pattaya.

https://www.facebook.com/maneerat.fon.0818630320/?paipv=0&eav=AfYi89DwtPsjyzwUU7vGZFElfuPJfiJSPmZJ0e9jDJJ-h7oa3dzyfkTULxzw6DGevnI&_rdr

Estimated cost is 25,000 THB.

Edited by ChiFlyer

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

In general, a two year license is two years from the date of issue. A 5 year license is 5 years out from your next birthday.

Oh, if you get the Non-IM O Visa here in Thailand, it is not as onerous if you use an agent. However, that would required that you are here in Thailand for close to a month. Several board members and myself use Maneerat on soi Post Office (13/2) in Pattaya.

https://www.facebook.com/maneerat.fon.0818630320/?paipv=0&eav=AfYi89DwtPsjyzwUU7vGZFElfuPJfiJSPmZJ0e9jDJJ-h7oa3dzyfkTULxzw6DGevnI&_rdr

Estimated cost is 25,000 THB.

I will stick to the 2 year licence, gives me a breather for a few years. 25,000 is not doable and I have heard that you can wait 3-4 weeks for issue, I am only there for 10 days.

I will probably go to Hua Hin and see if any agents can swing a 5 year licence on a 30 day entry. Got friends there who will check before my arrival but 2 years is OK as little hassle..

• 10 months later...

So we have booked an appointment at the Udon Thani DLT for 27th March 2024 to renew our expired 5 year driver's lincences. This gives us a day and a half to get the medical certificate and resident confirmation certficate from Immigration done. We have both done our online DLT tests.

We pass a doctor on our way to the wife's village house so this will be done on the 25th when we leave the airport. For the resident confirmation certificate is there a form you can pre-fill out and is everything just done at the immigration office.

Any information provided would be appreciated.

DLT.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thegrogmonster said:

So we have booked an appointment at the Udon Thani DLT for 27th March 2024 to renew our expired 5 year driver's lincences. This gives us a day and a half to get the medical certificate and resident confirmation certficate from Immigration done. We have both done our online DLT tests.

We pass a doctor on our way to the wife's village house so this will be done on the 25th when we leave the airport. For the resident confirmation certificate is there a form you can pre-fill out and is everything just done at the immigration office.

Any information provided would be appreciated.

DLT.jpg

In terms of Residence Certificate, that was the easy part for me. I went to the Immigration Office in Hua Hin with a passport offering a 30 day visa exempt entry and an Agoda Hotel Booking screenshot saying I was booked for 10 days. Didn't seem to faze the young immigration officer.

Took 5 minutes to fill in the form at the office, leave my passport and return in two days. No charge, no problem. I was given the form when I arrived at the immigration office, but would be easy to pick one up and return with it filled in.

Personally, my immigration officer was very helpful; I went there to ask whether I could get a residence certificate and 5 minutes later I was out of there after being told to return in 2 days.

Just need to say what you want the residence certificate is for; in my (your case), renewal of driving licence.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

In terms of Residence Certificate, that was the easy part for me. I went to the Immigration Office in Hua Hin with a passport offering a 30 day visa exempt entry and an Agoda Hotel Booking screenshot saying I was booked for 10 days. Didn't seem to faze the young immigration officer.

Took 5 minutes to fill in the form at the office, leave my passport and return in two days. No charge, no problem. I was given the form when I arrived at the immigration office, but would be easy to pick one up and return with it filled in.

Personally, my immigration officer was very helpful; I went there to ask whether I could get a residence certificate and 5 minutes later I was out of there after being told to return in 2 days.

Just need to say what you want the residence certificate is for; in my (your case), renewal of driving licence.

Hope they can issue the residence certifcate on the day we go there (26/03/2024). Maybe my wife can offer to buy them lunch.

• Thumbs Up 1