Trip Report Cambodia and Vietnam Photos from my trip and thoughts

Yesitisdakid

Thanks for the write up @Yesitisdakid really enjoyed the read. Pictures are absolutely brilliant, you guys really did cram a load into a very short time. I'm just too damn lazt😀

Later this year I will follow your advice and use the Giant Ibis bus, BKK-SR-PP. 

Hard to believe HCMC city is even cheaper than Cambodia, that's piqued my interest. Might give that a shot, only been to Hanoi and wasn't fan

55 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

Thanks for the write up @Yesitisdakid really enjoyed the read. Pictures are absolutely brilliant, you guys really did cram a load into a very short time. I'm just too damn lazt😀

Later this year I will follow your advice and use the Giant Ibis bus, BKK-SR-PP. 

Hard to believe HCMC city is even cheaper than Cambodia, that's piqued my interest. Might give that a shot, only been to Hanoi and wasn't fan

Some things are more expensive in ho chi Minh but I found things to be slightly less expensive than Phnom Penh of course everyone else is mileage may vary.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recently went from Siem Reap to HCMC where the plan was 7 days there and then to Vung Tau for another 7.
I stayed 2 nights which I had pre-paid for then got on a plane back to Siem Reap as I couldn't stand HCMC. Almost certainly my fault as I stayed in District 5. No bars but hundreds of coffee shops and I found the people to be unfriendly and not at all welcoming. I doubt that I could have bought a smile which after the Khmers was a big surprise.
I will return to Vietnam but try Hanoi and Da Nang or similar next time.

• Great Info 1

12 hours ago, karon steve said:

I recently went from Siem Reap to HCMC where the plan was 7 days there and then to Vung Tau for another 7.
I stayed 2 nights which I had pre-paid for then got on a plane back to Siem Reap as I couldn't stand HCMC. Almost certainly my fault as I stayed in District 5. No bars but hundreds of coffee shops and I found the people to be unfriendly and not at all welcoming. I doubt that I could have bought a smile which after the Khmers was a big surprise.
I will return to Vietnam but try Hanoi and Da Nang or similar next time.

Interesting.

Had a very similar experience in Hanoi 15s years back. Booked for a week, travelling with a pal. Day 2 we were in Air Asia office looking for the first flight out. 

Unfriendly, incredibly polluted. My pal went back and spent 2 months teaching there, said it didn't improve any. Guy had live and worked all over Thailand,  Singapore and HK. 

Have heard its improved in recent years, but interesting to hear your experience 

• Thumbs Up 1

I really liked Hanoi for 2 or 3 nights lots to do and see. Totally different vibe to HCMC and found some nice hairdressing shops eventually !!!! Food in Hanoi is much better too French influence.

Hue is my favourite city in all of Vietnam by miles loved it.

• Like 1

Hi Larry, thanks for the info. In Vung Tau which area would you recommend for a couple to stay for any night life? Been 4 times to Nha Trang, which we liked a lot but looking for a change. Also thinking about Da Nang. 

7 hours ago, biggles said:

Hi Larry, thanks for the info. In Vung Tau which area would you recommend for a couple to stay for any night life? Been 4 times to Nha Trang, which we liked a lot but looking for a change. Also thinking about Da Nang.

Vung Tau was just a little bit too slow for me I really like ho chi Minh I'm definitely going back there those are the only two places I've been in Vietnam so far what action there is in Vung Tau we found closer to front Beach so get a room in the front beach area and not the back beach area if you want a little more nightlife

• Thanks 1

Just a  word of advice for those thinking of going to Danang. Whilst l likeit and go there regularly, just got back from a week there last Tuesday, it does not have a great night life. Great beach, yes, very cheap, yes, great night life, no. If you do go stay in the An Thoung tourist precint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, andycoll said:

Just a  word of advice for those thinking of going to Danang. Whilst l likeit and go there regularly, just got back from a week there last Tuesday, it does not have a great night life. Great beach, yes, very cheap, yes, great night life, no. If you do go stay in the An Thoung tourist precint. 

Thank you very much for the tip on where to stay in denang much appreciated it's little things like that that can make or break a person's trip

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1