Absolute rip off

coxyhog

Just another dramatic example how things have changed.

I think I probably paid $14 for the show in Iowa City, Ia. when I saw him, Carlos Santana, and John Mclaughlin play together.

Back in the day bands would cut an album and then go on tour. The idea was the tour would be a promotion in order to generate album sales. The cost of the tours would typically break even, if that. 

Nowadays hard to say how they are making money, so they've jacked ticket prices through the roof as a source of revenue.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Nowadays hard to say how they are making money, so they've jacked ticket prices through the roof as a source of revenue.

Today it is the other way around. Nobody except Japan buys records or cd's anymore. The only income artists get is stream and radio royalties.

Spotify pays the artists on avarage 0.004$ per stream. I suppose other streaming services such deezer, youtube, apple music etc pay about the same. Sure if you are a top 5000 artist in the world you could generate enough that way to pay for your rent. Otherwise no. Concerts is the only way to generate income. Lots of musicians now a days have day time jobs - The female vocalist of german band Umbra et Imago works/worked as a domina, as an example.

• Like 2

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fans-of-the-rolling-stones-arent-happy-with-ticket-costs-2249456

Fans of The Rolling Stones have reacted with anger after it was revealed that the most expensive tickets will set back fans an extortionate £450.

The eye-watering cost of seeing the rock icons in the flesh this summer was revealed on Ticketmaster’s official website after their first tour in five years was announced yesterday.

For their show at the London Stadium on May 22, fans can expect to pay £399.95 for a premium standing ticket, along with a booking fee of £52 that brings the total cost to £451.95.

The ‘Gold Circle’ option is similarly pricey, with fans expecting to pay up to £282.45.

The seating option, meanwhile, will see fans forking out up to £203.

3 hours ago, fforest said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/fans-of-the-rolling-stones-arent-happy-with-ticket-costs-2249456

Fans of The Rolling Stones have reacted with anger after it was revealed that the most expensive tickets will set back fans an extortionate £450.

The eye-watering cost of seeing the rock icons in the flesh this summer was revealed on Ticketmaster’s official website after their first tour in five years was announced yesterday.

For their show at the London Stadium on May 22, fans can expect to pay £399.95 for a premium standing ticket, along with a booking fee of £52 that brings the total cost to £451.95.

The ‘Gold Circle’ option is similarly pricey, with fans expecting to pay up to £282.45.

The seating option, meanwhile, will see fans forking out up to £203.

I'd get more value just going to the local nursing home and betting on who was shitting in their knickers at the time.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Lirchenfeld said:

Today it is the other way around. Nobody except Japan buys records or cd's anymore. The only income artists get is stream and radio royalties.

Spotify pays the artists on avarage 0.004$ per stream. I suppose other streaming services such deezer, youtube, apple music etc pay about the same. Sure if you are a top 5000 artist in the world you could generate enough that way to pay for your rent. Otherwise no. Concerts is the only way to generate income. Lots of musicians now a days have day time jobs - The female vocalist of german band Umbra et Imago works/worked as a domina, as an example.

Streaming pretty much pays nothing. Merchandise is the biggest earner for most smaller bands. Unless you’re charging top dollar like the biggest acts there’s not much money in ticket sales after expenses are paid.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, galenkia said:

Streaming pretty much pays nothing. Merchandise is the biggest earner for most smaller bands. Unless you’re charging top dollar like the biggest acts there’s not much money in ticket sales after expenses are paid.

Plus the big acts can get absolute rock-bottom rates from the venues they play....Like the Rolling Stones....Who have sold-out shows for decades.....

But if your not Elton John, or U2, or AC-DC, or The Who......Its rough... 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, galenkia said:

Good point. I remember when working some of the bigger shows back in the late 90's and into the 2000's. It seemed like the managers biggest concerns were sale of counterfeit merch. We used to assign teams to go after them, and the we would have guard assignments to protect the money takers. And boy did some of them haul in the green.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

@coxyhog  Fully agree Coxyhog...Last May I went to see Paul McCartney back in Calif. Most I have ever spent face value for any event. But....it was worth every penny. There are few "legends" in my mind that are worth that kind of money you know? No since in being the richest corpse in the cemetery? Not that I have to worry about that LOL!  Just my opinion of course. 

DSC01747.JPG

DSC01550.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, Yessongs said:

@coxyhog  Fully agree Coxyhog...Last May I went to see Paul McCartney back in Calif. Most I have ever spent face value for any event. But....it was worth every penny. There are few "legends" in my mind that are worth that kind of money you know? No since in being the richest corpse in the cemetery? Not that I have to worry about that LOL!  Just my opinion of course. 

DSC01747.JPG

DSC01550.JPG

There has to be a limit on how much some people are or willing to pay Mike. I know a couple of guys who have forked out thousands of pounds following every single night of a British tour by certain bands. Plus one of them even went into Europe and spent even more money. 

Their money of course and I'm not critical of that. 

I had plans to see Roger Waters on his cough cough, " farewell tour" in Copenhagen with a friend of mine here in Sweden. He's backed out because of the cost. So, as I've seem Waters live before, so have I. 

Tickets.... Appx £135.

Travel..... £72

Hotel in Copenhagen.. Appx £90. 

That doesn't include food or drink or my friends day from work. 

As a one off, I would only contemplate spending that amount of dosh on a concert if it was something very very special. And right now I can't think of a single artiste that would warrant me spending shit loads of money to see them live. 

That said, if Kate Bush was back to her early 20s... I would have paid top dollar to have her fart in my mouth. 

My soon-to-be 11-yo daughter suggested she wanted to see the K-Pop girl group 'Twice' for her birthday.

She said the tickets cost $1000(us). She added that the "nosebleed seats were only" $225.

I told her to get her mother to take her. 

. . .

Twice_-_Dickies_Arena,_2022_(cropped).jpg

Edited by lazarus
@@
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, lazarus said:

My soon-to-be 11-yo daughter suggested she wanted to see the K-Pop girl group 'Twice' for her birthday.

She said the tickets cost $1000(us). She added that the "nosebleed seats were only" $225.

I told her to get her mother to take her. 

. . .

Twice_-_Dickies_Arena,_2022_(cropped).jpg

That pop group would have to pay me to go see them. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Aqualung said:

That pop group would have to pay me to go see them. 

Sir... How dare you say this......

These girls make some of the finest candy-coated, brain-dead, soul-less, auto-tuned, sickly-sweet, K-pop   fluff music around..... lol

Edited by fforest