Absolute rip off

coxyhog

23 hours ago, Aqualung said:

There has to be a limit on how much some people are or willing to pay Mike. I know a couple of guys who have forked out thousands of pounds following every single night of a British tour by certain bands. Plus one of them even went into Europe and spent even more money. 

Their money of course and I'm not critical of that. 

I had plans to see Roger Waters on his cough cough, " farewell tour" in Copenhagen with a friend of mine here in Sweden. He's backed out because of the cost. So, as I've seem Waters live before, so have I. 

Tickets.... Appx £135.

Travel..... £72

Hotel in Copenhagen.. Appx £90. 

That doesn't include food or drink or my friends day from work. 

As a one off, I would only contemplate spending that amount of dosh on a concert if it was something very very special. And right now I can't think of a single artiste that would warrant me spending shit loads of money to see them live. 

That said, if Kate Bush was back to her early 20s... I would have paid top dollar to have her fart in my mouth. 

Steve, fully agree with your assessment for sure. For me for McCartney, he is one guy for some reason that I have missed for many years and many tours here in USA. He is 80 years old now and with us leaving USA to come back here, I just WAS NOT going to miss seeing him. I was just so livid thinking that he was only playing one show as the first one sold out in 39 minutes. I got in line, verified fan on Ticketmaster, I was like the 1,700th person in line waiting for the first show. When my turn came up, it was sold out. I just knew somehow, that he would add a second show. He did, and I  scored the tickets. He is the ONLY guy at this point in life I would pay top dollar to see. It is amazing though, what people will pay if they want to see their " favorite"  

23 hours ago, lazarus said:

My soon-to-be 11-yo daughter suggested she wanted to see the K-Pop girl group 'Twice' for her birthday.

She said the tickets cost $1000(us). She added that the "nosebleed seats were only" $225.

I told her to get her mother to take her. 

. . .

Twice_-_Dickies_Arena,_2022_(cropped).jpg

Matt, these K POP girl bands are huge..I had no idea that they were all that big! Ever heard of "Black Pink"? Bet your Daughter knows how they are. Another K POP girls  band, lead singer is Thai. Moved to Korea, speaks fluent Korean and is now a national treasure here amongst young girls. This band is " headlining" at the Coachella Festival in April. I kid you not. They are doing a huge world tour, 2 shows at Rajamangala Stadium Bangkok here in May. Crazy huh? 

Well things could be worse I guess....if you wanted to see Taylor Swift. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another aspect.... Tribute bands. 

Some of them are well worth seeing live, especially for the greats that are no longer performing. The cost can still be expensive ie... Brit Floyd who I think are or were connected to the Australian Pink Floyd. 

Once upon a time they were playing to a handful of folks in local theatres etc. Now, they are selling out or near as damn it arenas here in the UK. 

Seen the Australian Pink Floyd a few times and well worth the money. Top notch. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Another aspect.... Tribute bands. 

Some of them are well worth seeing live, especially for the greats that are no longer performing. The cost can still be expensive ie... Brit Floyd who I think are or were connected to the Australian Pink Floyd. 

Once upon a time they were playing to a handful of folks in local theatres etc. Now, they are selling out or near as damn it arenas here in the UK. 

Seen the Australian Pink Floyd a few times and well worth the money. Top notch. 

Seen AC/DC UK, Motley Crude, Poizon, Panteras 101% and Megadeth UK all in the last 9 months or so. All were top tier and tickets around £15 each.

Great budget way of seeing the closest thing to the original.

• Thumbs Up 5

At least one band is doing something about the high fees charged by Ticketmaster.

The Cure forced Ticketmaster to refund fans a portion of "unduly high" fees

Fans of The Cure who bought tickets to their US tour on Ticketmaster could see between $5 and $10 paid back into their accounts.

Robert Smith, the band’s co-founder and lead singer, tweeted to fans on Mar. 16 that he was “as sickened as you all are” by exorbitant fees on Ticketmaster ticket sales. The British rock band had deliberately kept ticket prices low—“I felt like I was spending 1989 money today to buy these tickets,” one user tweeted—and only opted for the Verified Fan program, which allows them to partake in an advance sale. The intention of the program is to fight scalpers, who use bots to purchase tickets in bulk to resell them at higher prices.

But despite the band’s best efforts to keep tickets affordable, Ticketmaster added various fees that, in some cases, exceeded the cost of the ticket itself. Outraged fans started sharing the evidence on social media. For instance, one screenshot showed a $11.65 service fee and $10 facility charge per ticket, plus an overall order processing fee of $5.50, being levied for those using Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan program. The total cost for four $20 tickets amounted to more than $172.

After the band frontman’s pointed protest, the ticketing company agreed to the refunds. By the end of day yesterday, Smith said the company would debit money into accounts of ticket buyers, and lower fees on future sales

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Seeing the above article reminded me of another case years ago when a group took on Ticketmaster. That was Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam: Taking on Ticketmaster

DECEMBER 28, 1995

If Pearl Jam couldn’t do it, who can? America’s most powerful rock band thought it had Ticketmaster in its sights this year. By swearing off the ticketing giant during their summer tour, Pearl Jam tried to crack Ticketmaster’s dominance in the concert business. By year’s end the corporation was more powerful than ever, but the Seattle rockers had given the company a public-relations nightmare by bringing some of the industry’s back-room dealings into the light. As a result, a previously rigid Ticketmaster started bending its service-fee policies so that other alternative-rock bands could mount low-cost tours without fleecing their fans.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Seeing the above article reminded me of another case years ago when a group took on Ticketmaster. That was Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam: Taking on Ticketmaster

DECEMBER 28, 1995

If Pearl Jam couldn’t do it, who can? America’s most powerful rock band thought it had Ticketmaster in its sights this year. By swearing off the ticketing giant during their summer tour, Pearl Jam tried to crack Ticketmaster’s dominance in the concert business. By year’s end the corporation was more powerful than ever, but the Seattle rockers had given the company a public-relations nightmare by bringing some of the industry’s back-room dealings into the light. As a result, a previously rigid Ticketmaster started bending its service-fee policies so that other alternative-rock bands could mount low-cost tours without fleecing their fans.

All this was going on when Pearl Jam was at their peak of popularity.....A huge number of millions must have got flushed down the toilet back then.....They did good but it was not easy...

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

At least one band is doing something about the high fees charged by Ticketmaster.

The Cure forced Ticketmaster to refund fans a portion of "unduly high" fees

Fans of The Cure who bought tickets to their US tour on Ticketmaster could see between $5 and $10 paid back into their accounts.

Robert Smith, the band’s co-founder and lead singer, tweeted to fans on Mar. 16 that he was “as sickened as you all are” by exorbitant fees on Ticketmaster ticket sales. The British rock band had deliberately kept ticket prices low—“I felt like I was spending 1989 money today to buy these tickets,” one user tweeted—and only opted for the Verified Fan program, which allows them to partake in an advance sale. The intention of the program is to fight scalpers, who use bots to purchase tickets in bulk to resell them at higher prices.

But despite the band’s best efforts to keep tickets affordable, Ticketmaster added various fees that, in some cases, exceeded the cost of the ticket itself. Outraged fans started sharing the evidence on social media. For instance, one screenshot showed a $11.65 service fee and $10 facility charge per ticket, plus an overall order processing fee of $5.50, being levied for those using Ticketmaster’s Verified Fan program. The total cost for four $20 tickets amounted to more than $172.

After the band frontman’s pointed protest, the ticketing company agreed to the refunds. By the end of day yesterday, Smith said the company would debit money into accounts of ticket buyers, and lower fees on future sales

As much as I love the Cure, they don’t keep ticket prices low. I saw them at Wembley Arena in December and face value tickets were £60, but I had to buy one from some rip off c**t on Viagogo for £122 as it sold out instantly. 
Gary Numan at the same venue last May was £45.

Same rip off cunts are asking £200 for Gary Numan at the Electric Ballroom if you can even get one for next month.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

Going to see a Motörhead tribute band in July in Reading. By all accounts they are top notch.

Lemmy,....He liked Whisky and cigarettes for breakfast..And if anyone did not like it too bad....He lived life his way...You got to respect the guy.....

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, fforest said:

Lemmy,....He liked Whisky and cigarettes for breakfast..And if anyone did not like it too bad....He lived life his way...You got to respect the guy.....

image.jpeg

Remember reading about how his doctor told him to not stop taking speed as the shock to his body would probably kill him as he’d been doing it for so long.

Sounds like my kind of doctor.

😀

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Mate of mine went to a virtual Roy Orbison tribute show recently ..said it was amazing ??!!

That’s becoming more regular for artists that have passed away.Ronnie James Dio and Whitney Houston off the top of my head. They used holograms. Be interesting to see.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hoping to go and see Francis Rossi in Neath in May. Billed as 'Tunes and Chat' , it's an acoustic session but I would like to see him. First saw Status Quo at the Royal Court in Liverpool in March 1973 so 50 years since my first experience. £30 for standard seating. VIP for meet and greet at £80 so not too pricey.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, Horizondave said:

Hoping to go and see Francis Rossi in Neath in May. Billed as 'Tunes and Chat' , it's an acoustic session but I would like to see him. First saw Status Quo at the Royal Court in Liverpool in March 1973 so 50 years since my first experience. £30 for standard seating. VIP for meet and greet at £80 so not too pricey.

Interesting, seen SQ twice at Wembley Arena, just love em and their music, a real rocking night. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:59 AM, galenkia said:

As much as I love the Cure, they don’t keep ticket prices low. I saw them at Wembley Arena in December and face value tickets were £60, but I had to buy one from some rip off c**t on Viagogo for £122 as it sold out instantly. 
Gary Numan at the same venue last May was £45.

Same rip off cunts are asking £200 for Gary Numan at the Electric Ballroom if you can even get one for next month.

Viagogo... Better known as touts online. 

Got done over ( my late naive mate) by them once for Roger Waters tickets at Manchester Arena. Face value £75... We stumped up £125 . 

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask! 

• Thumbs Up 1