Christmas 2023 Flights from UK

AJSP

I’m after some advice and this is possibly a ‘crystal ball’ type of question but I’ll ask anyway.

I’m looking at a trip for 3 of us 8th December to 2nd January and have been looking since Jan this year. Really want a direct flight but these are coming in at £1100 - £1400 per person in Economy. 

Are there any dates when flight prices change and in my case likely to go down. In price or is this the new price which we will have to put up with ?

• Thumbs Up 1

when u return on 2nd will add to the pricebeing so high.xmas has always been high priced u can wait it out a bit.it may go down soem but not much.i payed 1100 when i went out 22nd dec last year for 5 weeks.puttign my next trip off till mid feb but even the prices for that around 1000 makr thats with qatar who i use all time.change over times are about hour half on way there 2 hrs on way back.nice to get off strech ur legs plus when u work it out its about same flight time is doing a direct flight from london.i fly from manchester.all u can do is go on kayak and sigh up for price alerts.lot of airlines pay for fuel in advance and try and get as much out u before they buy their next lot.even though fuel prices have dropped a fair bit now

5 minutes ago, thunder367 said:

when u return on 2nd will add to the pricebeing so high.xmas has always been high priced u can wait it out a bit.it may go down soem but not much.i payed 1100 when i went out 22nd dec last year for 5 weeks.puttign my next trip off till mid feb but even the prices for that around 1000 makr thats with qatar who i use all time.change over times are about hour half on way there 2 hrs on way back.nice to get off strech ur legs plus when u work it out its about same flight time is doing a direct flight from london.i fly from manchester.all u can do is go on kayak and sigh up for price alerts.lot of airlines pay for fuel in advance and try and get as much out u before they buy their next lot.even though fuel prices have dropped a fair bit now

Cheers that’s useful advice. Kayak is a good option 👍

4 hours ago, AJSP said:

I’m after some advice and this is possibly a ‘crystal ball’ type of question but I’ll ask anyway.

I’m looking at a trip for 3 of us 8th December to 2nd January and have been looking since Jan this year. Really want a direct flight but these are coming in at £1100 - £1400 per person in Economy. 

Are there any dates when flight prices change and in my case likely to go down. In price or is this the new price which we will have to put up with ?

Direct around Christmas those are good prices. Options are limited these days. I paid around £1800 for a direct Thai Air flight last year. £1100 is good ....... year before flew Austrian Air and got a great deal on Biz Class around Christmas. Changeover in Vienna .... 

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

4 hours ago, AJSP said:

25 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Direct around Christmas those are good prices. Options are limited these days. I paid around £1800 for a direct Thai Air flight last year. £1100 is good ....... year before flew Austrian Air and got a great deal on Biz Class around Christmas. Changeover in Vienna .... 

What Sean says, those are good prices for Xmas direct. I had a look a month or so ago and was 4 or 5 Grand for 3 of us, 1 a child, economy. 

My flights at the end of this month were £3300 for 2 adults 1 child, over Easter. But even they went up quite a bit when i checked a few months later. 

Our flights in July/August were cheaper, £2600, still school holidays, but leaving and returning on a Wed, which saved me £700.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, AJSP said:

Cheers that’s useful advice. Kayak is a good option 👍

I generally use Skyscanner which probably does the same as Kayak. Then go directly to the airline to book.

As previously said, that isn't a bad price around the Xmas period. 

Edited by boydeste

On 3/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, AJSP said:

Are there any dates when flight prices change and in my case likely to go down.

There will likely be small differences across airlines, but the 8th of December might just put you into the first Xmas price bump with another one a week further on.  A day or two earlier could make a reasonable difference.  2nd January is still right in the middle of the peak and you'd need to go to around the 9th or 10th to see the start of prices coming down again.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KWA said:

There will likely be small differences across airlines, but the 8th of December might just put you into the first Xmas price bump with another one a week further on.  A day or two earlier could make a reasonable difference.  2nd January is still right in the middle of the peak and you'd need to go to around the 9th or 10th to see the start of prices coming down again.

That’s a good shout. The reason for the 8th December leave date is because my son finishes school on that date so it works perfectly to make the 9.30pm flights from Heathrow