TSA pre-check....for my fellow American travelers

Mr. Smooth

For years I had put off applying for the TSA pre-check classification, which, if successful, would allow me to go through the security check at a US airport without needing to take off my shoes, belt, etc...and also not have to wait in those long ass lines with everybody else impatient and grumbling to get through. As an overseas traveler, departing from a major hub like San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles or Dallas-Ft Worth, among others, has been a pain in the ass with lines that stretched and snaked around and through the roped off security entrance for over 100 yards or more.

Well, I finally applied for the pre-check status, received my appointment time and it wound up taking all of 5 minutes to be finger printed, photographed, being asked a few questions, then having my cc charged the $78 USD fee for the new classification, which is good for 5 years. I was told to check my email, click the link provided, and my new redress number would be there in 2-5 working days. Well, the guy was right as 2 days later, I received that email and got my number. Now, when booking a flight online, just fill that number out in the redress box and on the day of travel, with boarding pass in hand, I would be directed by TSA personnel at the airport security entrance, to head over to the pre-check express line.

So, I now have it and for the next 5 years, and beyond, as I'll pay the fee to renew it, there will be no more excessive waiting in security lines to get through into the terminal, no more taking my tray to a bench to put on my shoes again, belt and so on. To me, beyond that inconvenience, the amount of time saved makes it worth it to me. Gliding right on through with the flight crews, grabbing your carry on off the conveyor belt and moving on in a matter of maybe 2-3 minutes, just enhances the whole airport experience and removes a lot of the unnecessary hassle, especially at the major hubs which are always so busy with passengers departing for wherever in the world they are going.

Any of my fellow Americans bm's travel with that status, or have thought about it? Is there an equivalent in European countries that will allow you to avoid the long lines and enjoy a small level of "VIP" status when heading out on an overseas trip?

Next for me is the Global Entry, which is similar except it's for when returning from a foreign country and being allowed to go through the "express" lane for your passport check at immigration, but was informed that there is at minimum, a 4-6 month time frame for getting an interview appointment, and possibly up to a year.

That's fine, I'll wait.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm on my 2nd renewal of Global Entry. Even though I only traveled back to the US once a year for visits, at $100 or $20/year it was money well spent to avoid the regular immigration lines.

The tipping point to getting GE was being pulled aside on one of my trips home and made to wait for over an hour before an IO deemed me worthy of his time. What really galled me is when the IO appeared from one of the offices he simply told me I could go now with no other explanation as to why I was detained. With GE it's been fast and easy through immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

39 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Returning to UK from Ft.Myers in Florida I was directed to an agent as 

I was 75 and the gentleman asked me if I had any ID.I had to tell him

he had my passport in his hand.

Were you still at Ft. Myers airport and was that TSA or an IO? I've found IO's very professional, TSA personel I think of as out of work Walmart greeters looking for any job they can get.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Were you still at Ft. Myers airport and was that TSA or an IO? I've found IO's very professional, TSA personel I think of as out of work Walmart greeters looking for any job they can get.

I've often thought of them as mall cop rejects, so we're pretty close to having the same dismissive attitude toward them.

I think the entire airport security apparatus needs to be given an overhaul and since it's the airlines who are in the business providing their services to the flying public, then I think it should be them deciding on what security measures to be put in place instead of the federal government.

It shouldn't matter much on the air fare because the taxes paid on those tickets goes to help pay for all those TSA personnel anyway.

But, TSA are here to stay.