PLE PARE TO FLY in Thailand its getting hot

tommy dee

3 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The last few days in Korat has seen temps of 38/39C, phew.........😳

Yeah.  We're getting ready to head to Buriram for songkran.  Dreading the 40+C.  A hot day here is 35C.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

My lady wants me to go with her to her home in Kamphaeng Phet just after Songkran. No A/C, hottest month of the year, think I'll be giving that trip a miss.

Our place up in Buriram has A/C, but it's quite far from the nearest transformer, so we only get around 205VAC in the house.  When we fire up selected A/C units there in April (can't turn them all on at once) you can hear the machines groan and a meter in a wall plug sees it pull the local supply down to near 185VAC.  After the initial cooling is in place, things stabilize.

Damn I'm glad I moved to the coast.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

Yea, we're only going to the wife's in Ayutthaya for 2 days, arrive Saturday, leave Monday to fly to Krabi for the week.

They have aircon, but know it's going to be blistering, my daughter sat in front of the fan last trip in June lol.

I had said to the wife, if she wanted to stay longer, get the flight down say on Wed or whatever with our daughter, then just do that, as i'll be diving every day anyway. But she said no, will be too hot for both her and lour daughter, Krabi a bit less and nice hotel pool and the sea, they'd fly down with me on the Monday.

A wise decision it would seem ...

• Thumbs Up 2

Since the March-May time of the year is the hottest, do any of you full time expats ever make plans to return home to America or Canada, England, Germany, Australia, etc....to escape those brutal temperatures in Thailand?

I can only imagine when the temperatures reach 35-40 degrees Celcius, which is roughly 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit, how refreshing it would be to experience a rainy, overcast day with temps in the lower teens (around 50-55 F), even if it was only temporary.

Do you guys miss that type of weather at all or are you satisfied with the trade off in higher, uncomfortably hot temperatures at this time of year in living in LOS?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Since the March-May time of the year is the hottest, do any of you full time expats ever make plans to return home to America or Canada, England, Germany, Australia, etc....to escape those brutal temperatures in Thailand?

I can only imagine when the temperatures reach 35-40 degrees Celcius, which is roughly 100-110 degrees Fahrenheit, how refreshing it would be to experience a rainy, overcast day with temps in the lower teens (around 50-55 F), even if it was only temporary.

Do you guys miss that type of weather at all or are you satisfied with the trade off in higher, uncomfortably hot temperatures at this time of year in living in LOS?

I've never considered leaving during the hot months, other than during the madness of Songkran. I just adjust my exercise routine to early morning to take advantage of the cooler temps.

After acclimating to the higher temps here, I'm adding layers when it gets down to what we used to refer to as room temp (72F). If Pattaya ever go down to the 50F - 55F range I'd be paying the food cart vendor just to huddle around his charcoal grill for warmth. And this coming from a guy that used to winter camp in sub-zero temps.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

I've never considered leaving during the hot months, other than during the madness of Songkran. I just adjust my exercise routine to early morning to take advantage of the cooler temps.

After acclimating to the higher temps here, I'm adding layers when it gets down to what we used to refer to as room temp (72F). If Pattaya ever go down to the 50F - 55F range I'd be paying the food cart vendor just to huddle around his charcoal grill for warmth. And this coming from a guy that used to winter camp in sub-zero temps.

For what it's worth, as I write this from Las Vegas, a few days away from April, it is currently 56 degrees, that's Fahrenheit for our non-American friends, and I had the heater on last night set at 72. I know it's going get hot as we get deeper into the year and closer to summer, but for right now, I've put off buying a Weber grill for outdoors cooking because of the very unseasonably colder temps. It's about 12-14 degrees cooler than normal, and we're getting the aftermath of all the storms that have ravaged California over the winter.

But...I know that Southwest desert heat is coming.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

For what it's worth, as I write this from Las Vegas, a few days away from April, it is currently 56 degrees, that's Fahrenheit for our non-American friends, and I had the heater on last night set at 72. I know it's going get hot as we get deeper into the year and closer to summer, but for right now, I've put off buying a Weber grill for outdoors cooking because of the very unseasonably colder temps. It's about 12-14 degrees cooler than normal, and we're getting the aftermath of all the storms that have ravaged California over the winter.

But it'll be a dry heat. :default_biggrin:

After @ChiFlyer's experience assembling a weber grill you might want to reconsider and buy it now.

Edited by forcebwithu

46 minutes ago, Mr. Smooth said:

Eric, coming from Sacto, you should be OK as a general rule right? High temps, no humidity, piece of cake huh? I will say though, Vegas at 100 degrees always feels alot hotter then that. it is tough here right now, even in the burbs in Minburi, it was 37C Sunday. Walking out into the car park after the gym, I cannot believe these Security guys who work parking are STILL required to wear a jacket in there. Unbelievable. 

July 2017 in Las Vegas out at Hoover Dam it was 113 degrees. It was brutal, we lasted 30 minutes and had to leave. 

Seen Elvis around lately? 

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_9941-2.jpg

IMG_0260.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mr. Smooth said:

I'm from SE Texas.  Not a lot cooler there.

EDIT:  Certainly not enough to deal with 30+ hours of travel time just to drop a couple degrees off the heat here.

Edited by tko
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, lazarus said:

When I lived in Thailand normally I'd travel back the the US in September & October...the monsoon months.

That's when the weather is the best in the western US (although still hot in the desert).

October was always my favorite month of the year when living in the Sacramento area, as it was still plenty warm enough during the day, but not overbearing, while the evenings were quite comfy with maybe a hint of crispness to the night air in the second half of the month.

Same with SF and the Bay Area in general. I once read that before deciding to move the NY Giants baseball team to SF, to go along with the Dodgers move from Brooklyn to LA, Horace Stoneham, the Giants owner, took a look at where the Giants would eventually be playing at if they made the move. The trouble was, he was there during October, when the weather was picture-postcard gorgeous. Unfortunately, as Giants fans would come to find out, as well as the owner, attending a night game in July was a different matter. Thank God now for that gorgeous ballpark, the finest sporting cathedral in America, after several decades playing off of Candlestick Point. What a miserable place to watch a baseball game that place was. The wind must have kept Willie Mays from breaking Babe Ruth's HR record before Aaron got it.

As Mark Twain once famously said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco".

I'm still outta Vegas and escaping that desert heat, dry or not, come end of June for a long spell, off to Thailand for a couple weeks then East Africa, where it's surprisingly cool, in July and August. About low 80's daytime, low 70s at night. Back in Sin City by end of September.

Perfect!

Edited by Mr. Smooth
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Yessongs said:

Eric, coming from Sacto, you should be OK as a general rule right? High temps, no humidity, piece of cake huh? I will say though, Vegas at 100 degrees always feels alot hotter then that. it is tough here right now, even in the burbs in Minburi, it was 37C Sunday. Walking out into the car park after the gym, I cannot believe these Security guys who work parking are STILL required to wear a jacket in there. Unbelievable. 

July 2017 in Las Vegas out at Hoover Dam it was 113 degrees. It was brutal, we lasted 30 minutes and had to leave. 

Seen Elvis around lately? 

IMG_0324.JPG

IMG_9941-2.jpg

IMG_0260.JPG

Yeah, I'll be fine. Saw the dam back in late January, I'm about a 35 minute drive away. It was about 55 degrees cooler when I was there then from when you were!

Stayed about an hour and a half.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been brutal up country in Thailand this past couple of weeks, temps in the high 30s and the humidity giving real feel of mid 40s.

I was ready for home. Although it is unusually cold and wet for the time of year back home. It is quite nice, but that will wear thin if it doesn't warm up soon.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Spring is taking its time arriving in my neck of the woods - yesterday morning it was -18C although that rose to above freezing by late afternoon; more of the same forecast for the next few days although not quite that cold at night - still, minus double digits overnight is a little cold for this time of year. 

• Sad 2

On 3/27/2023 at 5:59 AM, forcebwithu said:

My lady wants me to go with her to her home in Kamphaeng Phet just after Songkran. No A/C, hottest month of the year, think I'll be giving that trip a miss.

my wife comes from there near sai ngam