VPN's

coxyhog

For years I've used Express VPN & it was great,especially good for getting Sky Go when in Thailand or Romania.

Then a few months ago all of a sudden I couldn't access my day to day bank current account with the VPN switched on,I had to switch it of.Now I don't mind doing that when I'm sitting in my living room at home but not in a hotel room in Bangkok or Bucharest.So I cancelled my automatic renewal and my subscription expired a few days ago.

So I followed some online recommendations and got Nord.

Then I found that although I could access my bank some other things,such as the UK lottery,I couldn't.

So I've cancelled Nord and asked for a refund(not a problem) and am now looking for something else.

I think Nord was a bit too complicated for my 69yo booze addled brain.I just want a simple VPN(I don't mind paying for it)such as Express was before the problem with my bank.I did talk to both the bank and Express & they blamed each other.

Anyone with any ideas?....I've been looking at Surfshark.

I use Private Internet Access (PIA). It was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Germany. It is pretty basic and not all that complicated. It enables me to spoof a US IP for access for US companies that deny access to international IPs. I do not use it a lot. It goes for about $30 USD a year.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/offer/best?coupon=official-site&utm_campaign=18191146948&utm_adgroup=141398286475&keyword=private internet access&ms=gb&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqc-H7sb8_QIVOx6tBh0FYgeTEAAYASAAEgIXi_D_BwE

Looks like there is a coupon sale for a reduced price going on.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, coxyhog said:

I just took out a months subs to Proton VPN,seems OK so far & if I still feel that way in a month I'll subscribe for longer.

I used Nord for the first time this year because it allows sky over seas. I too was surprised that I couldn't get to access my lottery account last week. My laptop did an update today so maybe that may improve things.

13 hours ago, boydeste said:

I used Nord for the first time this year because it allows sky over seas. I too was surprised that I couldn't get to access my lottery account last week. My laptop did an update today so maybe that may improve things.

I read two online newspapers daily and Nord stopped me from accessing the comments sections at the end of articles,whether the VPN was switched on or off,which means Nord is controlling things even when deactivated.

• Surprised 1

On 3/28/2023 at 1:57 AM, boydeste said:

Some things require you to pause a vpn. Banks used to not like them but it doesn't seem to be the case lately.

Government departments often do, and for sure airlines (at least that has been my experience). 

The difficulty is that the sites where a vpn causes conflict will not give you any proper notification or error report. Pisses me off, but I have gotten better about recognizing it.

So, I think any vpn will have a learning curve when going in.

Nord recently had some issues which threw things in a tizzy for a couple days. I think it was more related to those who use Chrome. They (Nord) even sent me an "apology/notification". I sent them back a real nasty email. 

Just wait until A.I. kicks into full gear. What a fucking nightmare that's going to be.

I use Opera browser which has  a FREE built in VPN that works great. You can set it for americas, Europe and Asia regions. Have been using it for several years with NO problems. No waiting or buffering also. Give it a try as its FREE