UK Driving licence

coxyhog

My licence runs out on 5 May so got a letter last week saying apply for a new one.Received it today & it runs out on 15 Aug,the day before I'm 70.so in a few weeks I have to do it all again.
What I don't understand is why they didn't make the expiry of my last one 15 Aug?

DVLA = Wankers

• Haha 2

About a month before my licence was due to expire, I got a letter from DVLA notifying me that after 70 yrs old, I must apply for 3 yearly licence renewal. Did it onlineย  easy enough and free of charge. I guess I will get a similar reminder if I like to 73.

Doesn't seem to affect my Insurance premium for a senile old git like me to be let loose on the Britishย  roadsย 

I've got 11 years no claim

ย Got my new licence within 4 days.

35 minutes ago, Nightcrawler said:

Doesn't seem to affect my Insurance premium for a senile old git like me to be let loose on the Britishย  roadsย 

Senile old gits tend to drive slowly and have lots of small accidents under the insurance excess (or just forget they had the bump or scrape and don't claim) rather than any major spinning, flipping or rolling incidents like the speedier drivers we all know.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

20 hours ago, coxyhog said:

My licence runs out on 5 May so got a letter last week saying apply for a new one.Received it today & it runs out on 15 Aug,the day before I'm 70.so in a few weeks I have to do it all again.
What I don't understand is why they didn't make the expiry of my last one 15 Aug?

DVLA = Wankers

My licence runs out on my birthday in July 2025, I thought all licences were valid until your 70th birthday, at which point you would renew; your situation seems odd.ย 

I am aware that when I get my new licence at 70 it will need to be renewed every 3 years.

10 hours ago, Lantern said:

Are they still free in the UK? and last till you are 70 or so?

Here in Oz you have to pay every time you re-new.

Cost me ยฃ14 for me to continue driving until I'm 70.

On the reverse side,where the different categories are listed my old one all said expiry 15 Aug.

Good to hear it's free at 70.

That's 2 things to look forward to,a free driving licence & getting to use the knackered old farts lane at Swampy immigration!

57 minutes ago, coxyhog said:

Cost me ยฃ14 for me to continue driving until I'm 70.

On the reverse side,where the different categories are listed my old one all said expiry 15 Aug.

Good to hear it's free at 70.

That's 2 things to look forward to,a free driving licence & getting to use the knackered old farts lane at Swampy immigration!

Is there really an age limit for using the knackered old farts lane? I thought you just had to try to look like the sign, groan a bit and smile10816.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Horizondave said:

My licence runs out on my birthday in July 2025, I thought all licences were valid until your 70th birthday, at which point you would renew; your situation seems odd.ย 

I am aware that when I get my new licence at 70 it will need to be renewed every 3 years.

Purely out of interest (I have no intention of driving again!),I checked mine.

It ran out July 2021 ...When I was 63 years, 7 months and 7 days old...... It seemed to be linked to the date my passport photo was taken the last time I renewed it ..

6 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, that was my reference in my previous post.

I renewed my Driving License when my Mum died as the address was no longer valid and they used the photo they held on record but obviously this has a "shelf life"...

Interesting point. ย I know the police have access to your drivers licence and driver record also motor insurance cover so possibly not too much of an issue if the photograph on your licence is dated.

ย 

3 minutes ago, john luke said:

so possibly not too much of an issue if the photograph on your licence is dated.

I think an old photograph invalidates the License and therefore the Insurance.

That is why I mentioned that my License expired in 2021 rather than 2026 when I reach 70.... because they used my passport photo held on record ..

11 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Yep, that was my reference in my previous post.

I renewed my Driving License when my Mum died as the address was no longer valid and they used the photo they held on record but obviously this has a "shelf life"...

I don't quite get the point but i am wondering if this is relevant to my "problem". My UK licence is paper only and now i should get a card, but i think cannot because my father died so i no longer have a UK address. I have a Singapore licence so hope that is sufficient and will use that to the end. But are you saying i can apply under some circumstance for a UK licence renewal, with the passport photo on record? And where will they send it?ย 

1 minute ago, Zambo said:

I don't quite get the point but i am wondering if this is relevant to my "problem". My UK licence is paper only and now i should get a card, but i think cannot because my father died so i no longer have a UK address. I have a Singapore licence so hope that is sufficient and will use that to the end. But are you saying i can apply under some circumstance for a UK licence renewal, with the passport photo on record? And where will they send it?ย 

The paper license was phased out a long long time ago.

Without a valid UK address I think you are f***d mate .... But I wish you the very best of luck.

3 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

The paper license was phased out a long long time ago.

Without a valid UK address I think you are f***d mate .... But I wish you the very best of luck.

Yah think you're right. I had learnt to live with it, until you revived my hope. That didn't last long,,,,,,,,

8 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Purely out of interest (I have no intention of driving again!),I checked mine.

It ran out July 2021 ...When I was 63 years, 7 months and 7 days old...... It seemed to be linked to the date my passport photo was taken the last time I renewed it ..

As much as my new licence shows the expiry as my 70th birthday (it was renewed when I changed my address to Wales in Aug 2020), I have checked my old licence (never gave it in) and the expiry on that one was also my 70th birthday.

The plot thickens.

4 hours ago, boydeste said:

The old paper license is still valid. I only changed to the new card 10 year license after Brexit so I could drive in Europe.

Thank you, following your post i have looked up the website and now remember what my problem is. You must update your address on your UK licence but cannot use an overseas address

You must get a new licence if:

If none of these apply and your paper licence is still valid, you do not need to exchange it for a photocard version.

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've stilI got only the old green paper one valid until I'm 70 as I haven't changed address since the introduction of the new ones.

I thought if a new one was issued it would be for 10 years and chargeable to renew so I'm happy to avoid it.ย  Sounds like it's still max 70 years if younger (eg OP and Horizondave) with renewing every 3 years after that.

Edited by KWA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just a little off topic. I live in the Philippines and had to renew my car/bike licence. You do an on-line exam, you get a passing certificate, do a medical and front up to re new.ย 

Now, I am 77, and to my surprise they gave me a TEN Year licence. Hope I make it.!ย 

ย 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/31/2023 at 12:35 PM, Zambo said:

Is there really an age limit for using the knackered old farts lane? I thought you just had to try to look like the sign, groan a bit and smile10816.png

"Groan a bit and smile" is what I do after sex ๐Ÿ˜‡

I changed my Licence when I was 70 at that go to place us old farts tend to use, the Post Office.

There they have a very modern digital photo booth which takes a picture which the kind lady with the blue rinse had'nt really mastered and she altered the picture so that it showed SOME resemblance to myself and that was attached to the digital form and send off to the DVLA. I asked for my plastic licence back, but she said no, we have to send that off with the form, you keep the reciept to show police if you are stopped. I groaned and smiled at herย ๐Ÿ˜† and promptly lost the reciept.๐Ÿ˜’

Got the new license back in 6 days.

ย 

• Haha 2

I am 77 now and have used the Seniors lane since 70. As it's an entry gate they always check your passport so you may get an IO who will say no. My partner, who is 44 now and has traveled with me since I was 70 uses the same entry point without a problem