August 2023 Trip

AJSP

Well, having thought we’d be holidaying in Europe this summer I changed my mind and booked for Thailand instead. A few too many beers after the Bath Races on Good Friday maybe!

I managed to get direct  flights with Thai Air for £930 which I thought was reasonable for the school holidays. 

we will head to Udon for a few days then head off to a beach resort and was possibly thinking of Samui so wanted to know anyone’s experiences of hear or recommendations of where’s good to stay for a family. Nightlife unimportant so long as decent restaurants which is a must 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a fan of Lamai , not as busy as Chaweng , but lots of good restaurants

Coral Cove and Silver Beach are within easy reach , two of my favourite beaches 

- if you were staying for two weeks you could always split your time between Bophut ( near fishermans village ) and Lamai to experience different parts of the island 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

I'm a fan of Lamai , not as busy as Chaweng , but lots of good restaurants

Coral Cove and Silver Beach are within easy reach , two of my favourite beaches 

- if you were staying for two weeks you could always split your time between Bophut ( near fishermans village ) and Lamai to experience different parts of the island 

Good shout - think the plan is to do 10/12 days - will take a look at your suggestions 👍

Love Koh Samui. Have stayed at Crystal Bay (great for Honeymoon) and Lamai which is great for families, couples and anybody who wants a slightly quieter life than Chaweng. I stayed at the Hive which would be perfect for families although I know the price is now twice what I paid last summer.

Lamai had everything for me, great restaurants, great hotels, great beach and enough entertainment to keep all happy including some bars for those who need their girly fix.

If only there for the girly fix then Chaweng offers a better deal but Lamai for me was perfect as girly bars are not totally my thing anymore. Cheap motorbikes for getting around or taxis easily available from hotel or off street.

Some have said you either love Samui or hate it but for me it is a wonderful island. Bangkok Airways to get there is recommended but you can get there cheaper via Nakhon Si Thammarat or Surat Thani.  Only issue is the bus and ferry, great for me, but for some it may be a burden and taking the non stop Samui service from Bangkok would be worth the extra cost.

• Like 1