Any Wine drinkers here? What are you drinking?

drifter

The last very nice bottle I had. 

It having travelled from France to HKG, and then to Bali I feared it would have turned in Porto, but no, it was absolutely perfect.

Shared with 3 friends, French, Swiss and Belgian.

And with a nice foie gras....

20201102_160813_copy_768x1024.jpg

Now back to local stuff.....

Imported wine prices are crazy here due to taxes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, boydeste said:

Not too sad if it's decent methinks.

Yeah it's OK and not that much more expensive than in Europe I guess. 

I don't go out at all these days for obvious reasons so spending a few extra quid on decent wine won't break the bank and is a bit of a treat to myself. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:11 PM, misteregg said:

Silverlake Sauvignon Blanc and Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay are still the favorites in the bar.

Just noticed this post.

The Siverlake's range of wines are excellent if a little pricy considering they are grown, bottled and marketed in Thailand.

They do a really nice Rose.

It was worth calling into their shop at Silverlakes for the two Thai girls (8/10) who front their Reception. One of them spoke excellent English and her knowledge of wines in general was impressive. They let me try every wine at least once and did not mind at all when I left with just one bottle. 🤣

I did return as I promised.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Hey Big spender lol, i don't like wine enough to pay the stupid prices here in Thailand, each to their own.

Yeah I know, nigh on £20 for a £4:99 spar shop managers special. Justified it because I didn't do Sunday night on the piss in Udon as planned...

Slightly off topic but I went into Tesco Lotus at Nong Kai and they had the Antipasto platter you get in UK for a couple of quid. I mistakenly thought the price was 120 baht and stuck 2 packs in the basket. Then Mrs smiler said they were 450 baht each ... I don't like them that much to pay stupid prices etc etc

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Smiler said:

Yeah I know, nigh on £20 for a £4:99 spar shop managers special. Justified it because I didn't do Sunday night on the piss in Udon as planned...

Slightly off topic but I went into Tesco Lotus at Nong Kai and they had the Antipasto platter you get in UK for a couple of quid. I mistakenly thought the price was 120 baht and stuck 2 packs in the basket. Then Mrs smiler said they were 450 baht each ... I don't like them that much to pay stupid prices etc etc

Aye the tapas trays are a proper ripoff here mate, nevermind the cheese! 

3 hours ago, CampariO said:

79997097_2624019934300793_37688602162888 

The red wine from Chile is quite nice and for 995 Baht for the 5l box good value. Bought it in a whole sale liquer shop on Thepprasit, near Thappraya Rd.

I used to buy the Mont Clair 8L boxes as i'm no wine conasewer i just liked the taste but i was paying circa just over 1K bht and i was'nt prepared to pay the rip off increases, they can GFT 👍

14 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

I used to buy the Mont Clair 8L boxes as i'm no wine conasewer i just liked the taste but i was paying circa just over 1K bht and i was'nt prepared to pay the rip off increases, they can GFT 👍

So you're not a wine drinker then lol. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CampariO said:

79997097_2624019934300793_37688602162888 

The red wine from Chile is quite nice and for 995 Baht for the 5l box good value. Bought it in a whole sale liquer shop on Thepprasit, near Thappraya Rd.

That's a very good price. 

Could you be a tad more specific as to location? 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:59 AM, drifter said:

Lately, I’ve finally been able to start drinking wine again. And I’m looking for something decent to drink. I know I’ll be paying too much, but I don’t drink in bars really. So making dinner at home and cracking a bottle, or getting wine out is a  luxury I’m willing to pay for. 

Any recommendations on a decent red? Mainly for drinking with dinner, and afterwards. I’ve had Mont Clair, and picked up a nice half bottle of one of the Jacob’s Creek reds. Both were enjoyable. I’m not looking for wonderful 10,000 baht bottles, but just good, satisfying everyday wine. That said, if anyone knows of any fantastic but more expensive wines, please tell me. Are any of the Thai wines worth trying? 

Malbec and make sure it's Argentinean