Any Wine drinkers here? What are you drinking?

drifter

Years ago I had a live in girlfriend who loved wine. Coming back from a trip to the US, I bought a high priced bottle of red wine from the duty free shop as a gift to her. She hated it and went right back to the cheap Italian wine. I couldn't say much because I don't know the difference between so called high quality wine and the cheap stuff. I'm also not much of a liquor drinker. When I do drink liquor, I prefer Canadian whisky or Jameson. I definitely don't like the burnt smoky whisky called Scotch. I do like the liquorice flavored stuff or schnapps over ice. Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, boydeste said:

I bet that is nice.

Was mate.Was.I gave the half bottle to a friend of mine today,and I’m onto this one tonight.

I don’t regularly  finish bottles of wine.I cork them and will finish them later.They are absolutely fine to sit outside in this temperature for a week or so.

Anything I get from reps to try,I take a 1/4 glass out then off them to friends.Great way of seeing if I should inventory them or not.

0FAA983C-38F5-44BD-BF16-CAA580A3AE8B.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gary said:

Years ago I had a live in girlfriend who loved wine. Coming back from a trip to the US, I bought a high priced bottle of red wine from the duty free shop as a gift to her. She hated it and went right back to the cheap Italian wine. I couldn't say much because I don't know the difference between so called high quality wine and the cheap stuff. I'm also not much of a liquor drinker. When I do drink liquor, I prefer Canadian whisky or Jameson. I definitely don't like the burnt smoky whisky called Scotch. I do like the liquorice flavored stuff or schnapps over ice. Different strokes for different folks.

Wine is subjective around the $25 and lower price.

You can get a good one,a bad one and something in between.It’s a lottery.

if you find something you like for $12,then that’s great.I have some $15 wines that are absolutely superb.
but when you want to step it up...a $60 Prisoner is going to blow you away.

then an 82 Grange for $1000 will knock your socks off.But,a cold six pack of Tiger light is absolutely fine as well.

Im lucky enough to be able to appreciate them all and would never assume to tell someone else what they should enjoy.

Its your money,you spend it on what makes you happy.

Edited by Skalliwag
  • Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

if you find something you like for $12,then that’s great.I have some $15 wines that are absolutely superb.

then an 82 Grange for $1000 will knock your socks off.But,a cold six pack of Tiger light is absolutely fine as well.

Im lucky enough to be able to appreciate them all and would never assume to tell someone else what they should enjoy.

I agree and when I do find a real good one for my taste,I tend to buy a good few bottles.

Your last statement is spot on, never a truer word spoken methinks!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gary said:

Don't want to go completely off topic but Scotch is the name for all whisky coming out of Scotland, some smokey (peated) but most aren't smokey at all.  I like Jamesons too but a good Scotch like Glenfiddich or Macallan is miles better and definitely worth a try although ridiculously expensive here. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Don't recall ever drinking wine above $100. That's usually already top of the range in most recent restaurants eg Chateau Neuf du Pape and something I only do when corp is picking up the check. It's nice now and again but for daily table wine you should indeed be able to get s very decent drop for $25. 

• Like 1

A couple of recommendations for red lovers--- not wallet breaking snob wines, but great quality and fantastic value for money if one appreciates wine. In a restaurant in Thailand (if could be found) I would expect to pay around 1500 - 2000 baht a bottle and 50% of that at retail. (again if could be found)

USA

Born to Run Cabernet - The Bieler Family a well know name in industry, and have vineyards in France, Italy, and USA. 

What makes this Cab Sauv interesting is it is made from grapes from both California and Washington State. I am not sure how many varietals anywhere in world use grapes from different regions.

BORN TO RUN.png

ITALY

ROSSOBASTARDO - The literal translation into English is RED BASTARD so a little "fun" in this wine. Whilst full bodied, it makes no claim as a true varietal and uses a blend of 4 grape varieties. It is what it is, doesn't even have a DOC. The vineyard itself produces some world class wines and there is some interesting standards around the Red Bastard that do seperate if from a table wine and whilst just my opinion I think value for money it is one of best bottles out there. 

red bastard.gif

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1

This thread reminds me of years ago while working in Australia. I did drink quite a bit of wine back then. A box of wine was about as cheap as beer and I thought it was pretty good. My Aussie neighbor lady asked me how I could drink that crap. On a special occasion, I was invited to the bosses home for dinner. After the meal, he said we were going to have a very special treat. He got a bottle of port out of his wine cabinet. Everyone was saying how great it was. I didn't say anything because I thought it was terrible. As I have said, different strokes for different folks. 

Edited by Gary
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, STARGAZER said:

A couple of recommendations for red lovers--- not wallet breaking snob wines, but great quality and fantastic value for money if one appreciates wine. In a restaurant in Thailand (if could be found) I would expect to pay around 1500 - 2000 baht a bottle and 50% of that at retail. (again if could be found)

USA

Born to Run Cabernet - The Bieler Family a well know name in industry, and have vineyards in France, Italy, and USA. 

What makes this Cab Sauv interesting is it is made from grapes from both California and Washington State. I am not sure how many varietals anywhere in world use grapes from different regions.

BORN TO RUN.png

ITALY

ROSSOBASTARDO - The literal translation into English is RED BASTARD so a little "fun" in this wine. Whilst full bodied, it makes no claim as a true varietal and uses a blend of 4 grape varieties. It is what it is, doesn't even have a DOC. The vineyard itself produces some world class wines and there is some interesting standards around the Red Bastard that do seperate if from a table wine and whilst just my opinion I think value for money it is one of best bottles out there. 

red bastard.gif

Thanks for the tip.I will look to see if we can stock these.

I’ll tell customers that a mate suggested them😁😁

Edited by Skalliwag

8 hours ago, boydeste said:

I agree and when I do find a real good one for my taste,I tend to buy a good few bottles.

Your last statement is spot on, never a truer word spoken methinks!

There is a an Argentian we have,it’s called 1884.It’s a Malbec.

it retails for $18 and is extraordinary for the price.

We have a Calwara Australian for $9.99 that is great too.
we have noticed that customers are very specific about the wines they drink.

one lady came in around two weeks ago and she said “do you have painted turtle Cab Sav”?
My guy called me out of the office to talk to her,as he knew we didn’t have it.

I said “no ma’am we don’t.Is there something else we can sell you that will be similar?I have some suggestions”.

her response.”No,I drink Painted turtle,that what I like”,at which point I said “oh that’s fine ma’am,how long have you been drinking that for”?
2 years was her response.

so I says “well dear,what did you drink for the first 53 years of your life,and how did you manage to settle on painted turtle”?
her old wine had sold out so she chose something new.

Well,at that stage I knew I had her.Sold her a bottle of Bodacious Deep red,and she’s been happy with it ever since.😁😁😁

it’s a $9.99 ,750ml bottle.🤣🤣🤣Some,people just need a little push.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Esco said:

Don't recall ever drinking wine above $100. That's usually already top of the range in most recent restaurants eg Chateau Neuf du Pape and something I only do when corp is picking up the check. It's nice now and again but for daily table wine you should indeed be able to get s very decent drop for $25. 

Absolutely.There are some great wines for under $30.

Luckily I have a cheap palate, anything off the bottom shelf is good for me. 

When I lived in Thailand I always just got boxes of red or white at Makro as the economy of buying in bulk worked for me.  OK it might not have been Mont Clair (always laughed at) but it was a cheap and cheerful stuff brand.

In UK I usually buy £4.50 bottles of supermarket own brand Soave or Frascati and if feeling rich I might move to a bottle of red such as 19 Crimes (a nice Australian) at £9 although I have recently been getting them at £7 in Tesco. Red is better suited to my constitution and a £6.99 bottle of Merlot usually sees me having more than one glass.

My palate also means when traveling business class on planes I get upset stomachs as my ideal choice is to have economy food as the business class stuff is too rich.

I will say though that I do like a good bottle of port and the more expensive decent vintages actually seem to sooth my palate rather than irritate it but you can't keep drinking port however good it is.

I have nothing against expensive bottles of wine but they would be wasted on me really even if I wasn't paying for them.

19 Crimes.png

Edited by Horizondave
  • Like 3

I think we are quite blessed here in the Uk as the main supermarkets seem to pretty much always have a rotating door of money off deals on wines. I regularly see £7.50 bottles down to £6 but a great one is the 25% off for 6 bottles deal so if you like a particular brand then you really are quads in. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2021 at 4:07 AM, Horizondave said:

When I lived in Thailand I always just got boxes of red or white at Makro as the economy of buying in bulk worked for me.  OK it might not have been Mont Clair (always laughed at) but it was a cheap and cheerful stuff brand.

In UK I usually buy £4.50 bottles of supermarket own brand Soave or Frascati and if feeling rich I might move to a bottle of red such as 19 Crimes (a nice Australian) at £9 although I have recently been getting them at £7 in Tesco. Red is better suited to my constitution and a £6.99 bottle of Merlot usually sees me having more than one glass.

My palate also means when traveling business class on planes I get upset stomachs as my ideal choice is to have economy food as the business class stuff is too rich.

I will say though that I do like a good bottle of port and the more expensive decent vintages actually seem to sooth my palate rather than irritate it but you can't keep drinking port however good it is.

I have nothing against expensive bottles of wine but they would be wasted on me really even if I wasn't paying for them.

19 Crimes.png

Download the app and watch the label tell you his story.Amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/16/2021 at 12:07 PM, Horizondave said:

19 Crimes.png

My neighbour gave me a bottle for Xmas, I haven't opened it yet.

IMG_20210117_43225.jpg

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1