Any Wine drinkers here? What are you drinking?

drifter

17 minutes ago, excell said:

From what i saw of prices in October a half decent bottle of bubbles is way over 1K. That was not vintage champers either,

moet is still$ 40-50 in Oz..so..up to 2- 2500 baht (by Ozzie  back of a fag packet calculation

We have always had Champers Xmas morning to enable turkey  stuffing and sewing the neck.Shhh she gets Asti this year 

Edited by Ivan the terrible

4 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Will be importing some champagne on my next trip for Christmas day. I've got a thing about blanc de blancs and one of the supermarkets is doing a very acceptable vintage, 2012, one for £25 a bottle.

That's the appetizer sorted. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 5:01 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I got a few things to firm up before i can book but we're planning on the 26th Nov for 3 nights so if you're about we'll do it ehh, i'll be in touch once we've booked. 

Don't get him too pissed or he starts singing 'Athenry' ........ 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If any one here likes dry red wine Laughing Bird WAS a great deal on a pretty good wine 1.5 liters per bottle....But unfortunately in the past 2 years the price has gone from about 320 a bottle to the current price at 580 a bottle...
Its still the same wine but with a whopping new tax added to the price....

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, drifter said:

Lately, I’ve finally been able to start drinking wine again. And I’m looking for something decent to drink. I know I’ll be paying too much, but I don’t drink in bars really. So making dinner at home and cracking a bottle, or getting wine out is a  luxury I’m willing to pay for. 

Any recommendations on a decent red? Mainly for drinking with dinner, and afterwards. I’ve had Mont Clair, and picked up a nice half bottle of one of the Jacob’s Creek reds. Both were enjoyable. I’m not looking for wonderful 10,000 baht bottles, but just good, satisfying everyday wine. That said, if anyone knows of any fantastic but more expensive wines, please tell me. Are any of the Thai wines worth trying? 

Drifter - where in Thailand are you based? I’m heading to Pattaya end Feb for 2 weeks and passing through South Africa first, so will gladly bring you a decent bottle of red from there. No need to pay me back - don’t miNd doing a favor for someone - as long you in the Pattaya area it’s no problem. So far everyone on here has been really friendly and helpful 👌

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 12:59 AM, Clem said:

Drifter - where in Thailand are you based? I’m heading to Pattaya end Feb for 2 weeks and passing through South Africa first, so will gladly bring you a decent bottle of red from there. No need to pay me back - don’t miNd doing a favor for someone - as long you in the Pattaya area it’s no problem. So far everyone on here has been really friendly and helpful 👌

Sorry I missed seeing this. That was very kind of you. I was in Bali for the month and had a great time. I could see relocating to Indonesia.

How was your trip?

• Like 1

We live in the UK so buying half decent vino is not a problem.Every now & then Sainsbury's or Waitrose will have a 25% off for 6 bottles or more & there are always some that are already discounted.The 25% off is from the already discounted price.Last time was Sainsbury's & I bought 24 bottles,12 red & 12 white.Mostly French but also some Aussie,Kiwi & South African.

Sometimes I buy a case online from Virgin Wines,been buying from them for over 10 years & never been disappointed.They sell Chilean reds from Perez Cruz,absolutely lovely but it's listed at £19.99.Every once in a while they'll have it discounted to £11.99 & that's the only time I buy it.

• Great Info 1

Ohh i am hooked on wine, and often drink some very very expensive wines too, when in Thailand i dont drink much wine, not many very good and way to expensive, but sometimes i bought a Usa Burgundy styled wine on Pinot Noir grape, i dont remember the name otherwise it is Poul M?????? about 500 bath for a litre in a special bottle,it is a okay wine

I like the Lindeman's range, there's something there for everybody. Readily available in Friendship and Big C, 599 Baht a bottle usually.

th?id=OIP.DhJFjlToG8Iym9e6cGh14gHaG2&pid

They do a Cabernet-Merlot and a Shiraz-Cabernet too, so no need to get gored drinking the same wine over and over.

We live in the UK so buying half decent vino is not a problem.Every now & then Sainsbury's or Waitrose will have a 25% off for 6 bottles or more & there are always some that are already discounted.The 25% off is from the already discounted price.Last time was Sainsbury's & I bought 24 bottles,12 red & 12 white.Mostly French but also some Aussie,Kiwi & South African.
Sometimes I buy a case online from Virgin Wines,been buying from them for over 10 years & never been disappointed.They sell Chilean reds from Perez Cruz,absolutely lovely but it's listed at £19.99.Every once in a while they'll have it discounted to £11.99 & that's the only time I buy it.

When we lived in the UK you could always buy Australian wine there cheaper than back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

• 1 year later...

Going to revive this thread as I've found a local wine shop and since I'm working all week my guilty pleasure is a glass of red wine (or 2) each day. 

I'm going to try and find some decent cheaper wines of up to 500 baht and taste some of the more expensive ones for up to 1000 baht. There are more expensive wines available of course, I just don't fancy paying that much.

If anyone has a tip for a decent red at a good price pls let me know. 

Today's selection is the Mont Clair Bin 5 Reserve. Its one of the cheapest wines available in the shop for 385 baht if I remember correctly. 

The other week we had a 3L bag of Mont Clair and it was rubbish so I wasn't expecting much, but mrs Esco and I both agreed its pretty decent considering its low end price for the local market. 

Not something I would normally serve guests other than riff raff like @tommy dee but I would consider this a regular, casual table wine. 

20201104_184555.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Esco said:

If anyone has a tip for a decent red at a good price pls let me know. 

A bit more expensive than 500 baht at around 590 or so, but I find that the Lindeman's range of Aussie wines are consistently good.

Lindemans-Bin-Hero.ashx?la=en&sc=1&modif

They also do a merlot and a cab sauv/shiraz and merlot/cab sauv. Available widely in places like Big C and Friendship, I've always got a few bottles in my wine fridge.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Toy Boy said:

A bit more expensive than 500 baht at around 590 or so, but I find that the Lindeman's range of Aussie wines are consistently good.

Lindemans-Bin-Hero.ashx?la=en&sc=1&modif

They also do a merlot and a cab sauv/shiraz and merlot/cab sauv. Available widely in places like Big C and Friendship, I've always got a few bottles in my wine fridge.

Thx for the tip! 

I bought a nice wee Bordeaux from the wine shop last week.

It costs about 850 baht a bottle which is at the higher range of the price im prepared to pay for my wine. 

I meant to save it for my BD today but curiosity got the better of me so I had a drop earlier this week and it reminded me of our trip to France this year... pure bliss. 

Today I drove down to Siam Expat foods for some steaks for the missus and me, which went very well with the rest of the bottle if I say so myself. She had the 1 glass and birthday boy the rest lol. 

This one gets a 7,5 out of 10 from me.

20201105_203539.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Esco said:

Thx for the tip! 

I bought a nice wee Bordeaux from the wine shop last week.

It costs about 850 baht a bottle which is at the higher range of the price im prepared to pay for my wine. 

I meant to save it for my BD today but curiosity got the better of me so I had a drop earlier this week and it reminded me of our trip to France this year... pure bliss. 

Today I drove down to Siam Expat foods for some steaks for the missus and me, which went very well with the rest of the bottle if I say so myself. She had the 1 glass and birthday boy the rest lol. 

This one gets a 7,5 out of 10 from me.

20201105_203539.jpg

Got me one too.😋

774A8260-7F6C-414C-8C69-DA74A41E6845.jpeg

I used to love Red wine, especially Merlot and Shiraz. 

After the intense radiotherapy I had on my neck 18 months ago, I lost most of my taste buds which have gradually returned. But now wine tastes much different and I still can't enjoy it. I had a glass of Proseca or whatever its called the other day and didn't taste too bad. But I really miss being able to drink and enjoy wine theses days. Maybe come next year it will taste better. 

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

After the intense radiotherapy I had on my neck 18 months ago, I lost most of my taste buds which have gradually returned. But now wine tastes much different and I still can't enjoy it. I had a glass of Proseca or whatever its called the other day and didn't taste too bad. But I really miss being able to drink and enjoy wine theses days. Maybe come next year it will taste better. 

Me too with a good full bodied Spanish Rioja being my prefered choice.

Thailand is just not the country to enjoy being a wine drinker. Decent wine is very expensive and can be very disappointing if it is not stored correctly.

I worked for a period of time both in the City area of London and also adjacent to the West End. Just as playing squash was very fashionable at one time so was frequenting London wine bars particularly when on the company barclaycard. 😀

Bottles of Sancerre to wash down the plates of smoked salmon and king prawns was very trendy although personally I was more at home with a pint of Ruddles.  🤣

Edited by Jambo

5 hours ago, Nightcrawler said:

Sorry to hear that, I hope the taste returns properly soon. I sometimes get over-zealous when making food and burn my tongue when tasting it while it's cooking. That usually spoils the meal for me, having a section of my taste buds temporarily out of action, so I can sympathise with your plight.

I love a glass of champagne, but it's so foolishly expensive here in Thailand that I only drink the duty free that I bring back with me. Instead, I buy decent prosecco, the brut version as it's a naturally sweet wine anyway. My favourite for a few years has been Tesco's Finest prosecco, but at around 650 Baht a bottle that's far from cheap too, and with CP having bought Lotus from Tesco it now looks like they're running down the Finest range. A month ago I stumbled on this one in Big C, and it's not bad at all, very similar to the Tesco's Finest brut prosecco but only 399 Baht a bottle, which is eminently affordable. I think this is going to be the "champagne" that's on offer in my gaff for Christmas lunch this year, lol.

0204968-2.jpg

19 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

Got me one too.😋

774A8260-7F6C-414C-8C69-DA74A41E6845.jpeg

Was a bit surprised (shocked) by the sticker mentionning a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon but branding it as a Bordeaux 

Sacrilege...

So I Googled it a bit and it seems there are different versions. See the stickers.

But it receives good reviews.

Screenshot_20201106-171141_Samsung Internet_copy_600x1067.jpg

Screenshot_20201106-171212_Samsung Internet_copy_600x1067.jpg

• Surprised 1

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Was a bit surprised (shocked) by the sticker mentionning a blend of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon but branding it as a Bordeaux 

Sacrilege...

So I Googled it a bit and it seems there are different versions. See the stickers.

But it receives good reviews.

The irony... lol 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...