Christmas Dinner in Pattaya - Adverts/Posters etc

john luke

turkey last year ws a rip off.  many were sold on turkey breasts from the us that turned out to be fuckin luncheon meat.  cant blame the restaurants but it was terrible.

this year there is plenty of good choice.  retailers upped the anti with good pre cooked imported and local fresh, which are actually ok.

but you do need to know how to cook them

Some interesting choices there at the Hilton and part of me really likes the idea of the New Year's day brunch at the Edge for about 3000 including drinks but another part of me doesn't want to spoil the night before having to think about getting up the next day. Damn as a youngster I'd have been up all night and gone straight to the Edge from a party.

This is the cheapest fixed plate option I've seen so far.  I applaud their honesty in stating up-front it's local turkey.  I just hope they have a good supplier.

56928_n.jpg

Tequila Sunrise is on the corner of Jomtien Beach Road and Soi Chaiyaphruek, so it's a bit of a haul from central Pattaya.  Book early if you're interested; it's not a big place and I'm sure it will be sold out.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif

A few more.  The Lion Pub on Soi Regional Land and El Greco (Greek and Mediterranean) Restaurant:

Untitled-17.jpg.b8bbafd615a3e3e8b62326dab8331b0e.jpg

El Greco also has this special offer: 

Offer with any order in Restaurant 
1. Free entree of Tzatziki, Olives and Homemade Pita Bread whilst waiting for your meal. 
2. Free Coffee or Desserts after meal. 

And two on Soi Diana  near LK Metro.  The Robin's Nest has a three- course, all-you-can-eat buffet and Harry's is going with a traditional Swedish  Christmas Eve buffet.  The Robin's Nest doesn't accept reservations for Christmas dinner, while reservations are mandatory at Harry's.

Untitled-31.jpg.25797511dac6620aaf75ef8c8146d382.jpg

Here's a translation of Harry's Christmas Eve menu:

Welcome to celebrate Christmas with us at Harry's Restaurant on December 24th in Pattaya!

Traditional Swedish Christmas Table with Meatballs, Pickled Beet Salad, Herring (several types), Pickled Salmon, Smoked Salmon, Red Cabbage, Priinskorv (sausage), Ham, Jansson's Temptation (potato and anchovy casserole), Spare Ribs, Deviled Eggs,  Liver pâté, Rice a la Malta, Fruit Salad, Mulled Wine, Gingerbread, Scandinavian Shots & much more!

995 baht
Only bookings with 500 baht in deposit.
First seating:  5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Second searing:  7.30 p.m. untill late

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.6d88c5a0203096d995f97ec9b9f875cd.gif

Edited by Evil Penevil

On 12/6/2018 at 4:58 PM, tommy dee said:

turkey last year ws a rip off.  many were sold on turkey breasts from the us that turned out to be fuckin luncheon meat.  cant blame the restaurants but it was terrible.

this year there is plenty of good choice.  retailers upped the anti with good pre cooked imported and local fresh, which are actually ok.

but you do need to know how to cook them

A lot of the local turkeys probably come from:

Untitled-16.jpg.1b38d5afce0f6f195e8f5939d50dd385.jpg

The Facebook page says Tananan's turkeys are "heritage" turkeys, but doesn't specify the breed.  In the U.S., over 99.99% of all turkeys raised and sold are Broad Breasted Whites, a breed developed in the 1940s.  Through selective breeding, those turkeys have become giant lumps of white breast meat that can't fly and hardly walk.  They also mature twice as fast as other domesticated turkeys, which is why the white meat is so dry.  The turkey doesn't have time to develop a layer of under-skin fat that  would help keep the meat moist during roasting.

Heritage turkeys are making a comeback in the U.S. from the verge of extinction.  In 2000, only about 4,000 breeding heritage turkeys were known to exist, while about 270 million Broad Breasted Whites were produced the same year.  Because heritage turkeys are produced in such extremely small numbers, they are much more expensive that the Whites, even though many people consider the taste of heritage turkeys far superior.  The risk is that heritage turkeys can be very tough and not suitable for roasting but better used in stews or soups, perhaps slow-cooked.  

In colonial North America,  wild turkeys were boiled, rather than roasted.  But today's commercial turkeys haven't descended from those ancestors.  Modern turkeys come from wild turkeys that were domesticated by native Americans in Central America about 2,000 years ago. These turkeys were taken to Europe by the Spanish in the 1500s. They were called "turkeys" because the Spanish shipped them from Spain to Turkey, from where they were sent to England.

In the 1700s and 1800s,  British settlers in North America brought British-bred turkeys with them and the modern Broad Breasted White descended from those birds.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.93f631566a14a5336419800f8c82181c.gif

Here's the text from a photo I saw on another board:

Simple Simon's Christmas Dinner

Served at 1.00 pm and 4.00 pm 

Free glass of red/white house wine 
Creamy chicken & mushroom soup or prawn cocktail 

Slow roasted turkey, succulent roastpork loin, chipolata sausages wrapped in bacon, creamy mash potato, roast polato, sprouts,baby carrots, cauliflower, brocolli, Yorkshire pudding, sage & onion stuffing, Cranberry sauce & onion gravy

Christmas pudding or mince pie with custard 

850 Bt Inclusive + Thai Menu Also Available 

Simple Simon's is located on Soi 5 (aka Soi Immigration) off Jomtien Beach Road.

Also ...

5744_n.jpg.2a2db08fdf504e56b3c8ea930b618c98.jpg

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.cf59362da56fcb189b567c5f7fa39657.gif

12 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

Modern turkeys come from wild turkeys that were domesticated by native Americans in Central America about 2,000 years ago. These turkeys were taken to Europe by the Spanish in the 1500s. They were called "turkeys" because the Spanish shipped them from Spain to Turkey, from where they were sent to England.

In the 1700s and 1800s,  British settlers in North America brought British-bred turkeys with them and the modern Broad Breasted White descended from those birds.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.93f631566a14a5336419800f8c82181c.gif

Interesting stuff about the modern turkey and the convoluted route it took.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:20 AM, dcfc2007 said:

I've never had turkey in Thailand, thought it was all imported?

I had Turkey last year at Bruno's and didn't taste nice at all. 

The menu from Sunny's looks great to me, but I have plans for Xmas dinner so will head there for Sunday lunch instead. 

Infiniti at the InterContinental (former Sheraton) has some of the best sunset views in all of Pattaya.  From the Web site:

Untitled-190.jpg.6cf25780ceb64f992a4c0b4febda8d05.jpg

Infiniti isn't offering a Christmas menu,  but you can check out its "Romantic Dinner Menus." An example:

Romantic_Dinner_Menu_-_Oct_2016-1.jpg.b49eb6f6847ba28ec0b956f29c603bde.jpgChristmas 

Elements at the InterContinental does have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day buffets.

Untitled-1ddd.jpg.d0488d9aa39f748989cd3112e12b63f9.jpg

Untitled-2aaaa.jpg.810bffa2aba3b9819445cdf2b49d9737.jpg

Impressive!  That's a REAL buffet menu.  It's not cheap, but considering some pubs are charging over 1,000 baht for limited carvery buffets, it's good value for money.

Santa Penevil

post-9139-0-68480700-1544712102.gif

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

Christmas 

Elements at the InterContinental does have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day buffets.

Impressive!  That's a REAL buffet menu.  It's not cheap, but considering some pubs are charging over 1,000 baht for limited carvery buffets, it's good value for money.

Santa Penevil

post-9139-0-68480700-1544712102.gif

The I.C. buffet doesn't seem too expensive to me considering the vast choice. And I think there you can expect a decent quality as well .

2,500 x 2 = 5,000

Addd 1500 for a bottle of wine => 6500, plus plus is around 8,000 ?

For a Christmas with your loved one, seems very reasonable to me.

15 hours ago, Bazel said:

Delete Chunky Monkey as an option!

Maybe not.  I've just passed by on my way to Jollys and there's another new sign just to the left of the door.  I never got the chance to read it all, but it referred to Xmas and may have been changing the offerings to more of a regular Sunday roast.  It needs another scouting mission but it's beer o'clock time for me.

2 hours ago, KWA said:

Maybe not.  I've just passed by on my way to Jollys and there's another new sign just to the left of the door.  I never got the chance to read it all, but it referred to Xmas and may have been changing the offerings to more of a regular Sunday roast.  It needs another scouting mission but it's beer o'clock time for me.

Allow me....

20181216_153201.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1