Football

Thinkingallowed

This one is going to cause some ructions- Premier league games going Pay-Per-View at £15 a pop🤯 From the BBC

"

Premier League games not selected for broadcast in October will be available to fans on a pay-per-view basis.

The five fixtures per round not already picked to be shown live, will be available on BT Sport Box Office or Sky Sports Box Office, priced at £14.95.

Clubs have agreed this "interim solution" to allow fans to continue watching their team live.

The Premier League said it and its clubs "remain committed to the safe return of fans as soon as possible".

Football has been played behind closed doors since the coronavirus lockdown.

Former Manchester United and England right-back Gary Neville, now a television pundit, said on social media it was a "really bad move" by the Premier League.

Alex Hurst, the chair of Newcastle United's Supporters Trust said: "The idea that Premier League clubs NEED to implement PPV because of economic needs would carry more weight if they hadn't just spent £1bn on players, furloughed staff, received government loans, weren't charging fans for games they aren't going to and hadn't just made thousands of staff redundant."

The Premier League and UK government had hoped to bring fans back into stadiums from 1 October but those plans were scrapped following an increase in coronavirus cases."

• Surprised 2

I will stick with my HDPrime which I am sure will continue to show every game live and within the fee paid monthly which for me is 570 baht. They have BT, SKY, Premier Sports, Astro and TRUE sports etc among their available channels. I have been very happy with their offering for about 4 years now.

Of course I also get access to movies and nearly every other channel that you would get on a full SKY or Virgin contract.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Stillearly said:

No way am I paying £15 a match ... already pay enough for Sky ,  BT and Amazon ... if it was £5 I may have considered it ...

I have believed for ages that PL games will go PPV. 

SKY monopoly is over and this is the way forward. 

You will be able to buy individual games or a season ticket at a discounted price. 

You heard it here first. 😀

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, galenkia said:

You will be able to buy individual games or a season ticket at a discounted price. 

You're probably right , but I'm still not paying £15 to watch a game ... 🙂 

just checked my bills 

I already pay £17.33 for Sky Sports and £36.49 for BT sport ..that's £645.84 a year 

Edited by Stillearly

2 hours ago, galenkia said:

Don't think it will stop at the PL. 

TV season ticket for QPR will happen. It will bring back childhood memories, perhaps of early Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa, too  scared to look at the Television🙃

• Haha 1

Watford charge £10 to watch their matches online,which at the moment I don't mind,I was paying £28 for a ticket to a home match pre-Covid so now I see home & away for less.

.At the moment I'm paying £47pm for Sky Sports & their entertainment package(not movies).

If SS start ppv then I'll ditch it.Although I'll miss the cricket.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Yep.

I think it's clear what the plan is.

The 'big 6' (I always laugh at that, citeh and chelsea were nothing clubs until the billionaires came along) want to have total voting rights for the PL. That means they will send their 1st team to compete in a European Super League, while their reserves or 'B' team competes in a radically different Premier League.

I have completely lost interest in the PL and the modern game with VAR and these ridiculous rule changes just compounding the misery of not being able to attend games.

It's time to form a breakaway association and league system.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Yep.

I think it's clear what the plan is.

The 'big 6' (I always laugh at that, citeh and chelsea were nothing clubs until the billionaires came along) want to have total voting rights for the PL. That means they will send their 1st team to compete in a European Super League, while their reserves or 'B' team competes in a radically different Premier League.

I have completely lost interest in the PL and the modern game with VAR and these ridiculous rule changes just compounding the misery of not being able to attend games.

It's time to form a breakaway association and league system.

The way I read it is that Man U and Liverpool have driven this. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City are said to have reservations about a need for it and believe it will never happen, only Spurs are supportive at the moment.

I hope it never happens.

Yours sincerely

Supporter of Nothing club.

4 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

The way I read it is that Man U and Liverpool have driven this. Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City are said to have reservations about a need for it and believe it will never happen, only Spurs are supportive at the moment.

I hope it never happens.

Yours sincerely

Hope the 25% to the lower leagues happens , but think that's only there to sweeten the deal and give the six more power ... once it happens , they can do what they like 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I hope it never happens.

Yours sincerely

It will happen alright.

Maybe not this exact deal but they are putting the feelers out, essentially threatening to starve the EFL clubs of much needed money, I certainly see the League Cup being abolished soon enough.

It's all rotten to the core.

This bollocks about 'The Big 6' is nothing but post-92 SkySports advertising bluster.

Newcastle, Aston Villa, Leeds, Notts Forest, Sheffield Wednesday have always been historically bigger clubs than Man City and Chelsea, certainly had more honours than those clubs until the billionaires came along, arguably bigger than Spurs as well.

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 1

I know this will never happen but my idea is for the 'smaller' clubs to say to the big 4 / big 6 ''ok you lot, you want your european league then f**k off and do it and see how many fans will pay to watch a midweek, mid table, nothing riding on it match between say Anderlecht and Arsenal on a wet and windy night in North London''. Kill the Premier league off and revert to the old way with the football league running things.

The football league then says to the remaining teams we'll revamp the new first and second division to 20 or 22 teams and regionalise the third division to North and South again and fill the remaining spaces there with the top finishers in the non league. Games will get interesting again and teams will actually have something to play for.

Football really sucks at the minute, the only league worth watching before was the Championship because it's rare to know who will win it or get promoted.

Oh and finally the Scottish FA should say to Celtic and Rangers and you two can f**k off to the new super league too as you both think you're so great. Then there might actually be some competition up there as well as down in England.

the Scottish teams wouldn't be included , it's all about tv audiences ...

the PL clubs already make over 50% of their money through TV coverage , then it's sponsorship deals , match day comes in third  ... without Liverpool , Arsenal , United , PSG , Juventus, Barcelona, RM , BM etc .. the money that domestic leagues would get from TV companies and sponsors would diminish ..  the best players would go to the "Super" clubs 

I think it's terrible, but it will happen eventually, because it's all about $,£€ for the club owners 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

the Scottish teams wouldn't be included , it's all about tv audiences ...

the PL clubs already make over 50% of their money through TV coverage , then it's sponsorship deals , match day comes in third  ... without Liverpool , Arsenal , United , PSG , Juventus, Barcelona, RM , BM etc .. the money that domestic leagues would get from TV companies and sponsors would diminish ..  the best players would go to the "Super" clubs 

I think it's terrible, but it will happen eventually, because it's all about $,£€ for the club owners 

Can't argue with any of that and it's sad now to think how much better the competition was before the money kicked in. Look at it now, 1 of 2 teams will win the league in England, 1 team will win it in Scotland, Italy, France and Germany, maybe 2 can win it in Spain just depending on if Barcelona get their act together, if not then maybe Atletico may make a challenge ?

Who will do well in the Championship though ? No one knows and that's what I miss most about it all, the uncertainty of it and the competition. 

12 hours ago, Stillearly said:

Most top six finishes in English top-flight history:

1. Liverpool 63
2. Arsenal 60
3. Man Utd 58
=4. Aston Villa 45
=4. Everton 45
6. Tottenham 36
-----------------
7. Chelsea 35
8. Man City 30

Now do the same table before abramovich and the arabs. 

Newcastle had won more trophies than Chelsea and City prior to their takeovers. 

I would say Villa, Forest and Sheffield Weds had as well. 

More fans turned out to watch Newcastle at home to Burton Albion than Chelsea to Man United. 

Edited by dcfc2007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dcfc2007 said:

Now do the same table before abramovich and the arabs. 

Newcastle had won more trophies than Chelsea and City prior to their takeovers. 

I would say Villa, Forest and Sheffield Weds had as well. 

More fans turned out to watch Newcastle at home to Burton Albion than Chelsea to Man United. 

Yep probably and Forest have still won more European Cups than Chelski and City combined and more than all the London clubs combined.

• Thumbs Up 1