How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Evil Penevil

Dining at The Avenue

The back section of The Avenue shopping plaza on Second Road that was previously filled with vendors' stalls has been boarded off for about six weeks now.  I heard it would be converted into a food court, but that didn't make much sense to me as there is already an open-air "food court" in the front section close to 2nd Road.  The food stalls that were formerly in the back area have been moved to the second level of The Avenue.

Last night I caught a glimpse inside the boarded area.  Whatever the plans, it doesn't seem like much progress has been made.

248140585_IMG_00231.jpg.64c306ba933e715ec460e3962b996da7.jpg

The rainy weather has worked against the open-air front section, but it seems to be increasingly popular on clear nights.  This is a review I did two months ago:

IMG_0066.jpg.6eea9aa51123b2d1bb90311568817b2b.jpg

The Avenue shopping plaza on 2nd Road has recently expanded its possibilities for dining.  It's added some food stalls and  open-air serving area in the "courtyard" of the ground level. There are also stalls, tables and chairs in a covered area on the second level. It's hardly worth a trip to The Avenue as similar food is available all over Pattaya.  But if you live or stay nearby or visit The Avenue for the movie theater, gym or shopping at Villa Market, it could be an option. I don't know if the whole ground level food area has a collective name.  I saw a sign in one section that said, "The Avenue Garden Cafe," but I don't know if that applies to all the sections.

IMG_0068.jpg.051bac141a7a2771cc12633f9d6b90ef.jpg

The other night I tried the creamy version of tom yum goong, a hot and sour shrimp and seafood soup that typifies Thai flavor for many farang because of the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and tamarind paste used in the soup. I also had a fried rice with squid for 60 baht.  The soup cost 150 baht for a large bowl.  Both were quite good.  A small can of iced tea cost 30 baht and bottled beer was available at 60 or 70 baht, depending on the brand.

IMG_0071.jpg.887b3a56bcb261c22b7a04a7eb8e29fa.jpg

693430173_IMG_00791.jpg.6dedf8b6734c2b61b79f532950c0a53e.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg.e1386752f8a1d428e14f9baf0f8ed219.jpg

Most of the Thai standards are available from one stall or another.  You can order in two ways: 1) pick out what you want at a stall and they'll  carry it to a table; or 2) sit down, order a drink and ask to see a menu.  The lady who takes you drink order will then send someone from the stalls  with a food menu. One pay the food and drink bills separately as soon as the order arrives at the table.

post-9139-0-33888300-1533229201.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg.5015ffb997b8d27e82fe53972f0b6a38.jpg

I was there one night about 8.00 p.m. and the roast pig had gotten really thin by then.

IMG_0067.jpg.9001ece7f3d460799f16ecdb2643159a.jpg

There's also live music, which for once wasn't too loud.

I wouldn't want to sit there during the heat of the day.  At 8.00 p.m., it was still warm and humid outdoors. I'll try some of the other dishes on offer, but I'll take them home with me to east in air-conditioned comfort.  I believe the food stalls begin to shut down around 9.00 p.m., although that can vary according to the day and crowd. The serving of beer and other beverages, as the live music, continue until about midnight. The second-level food stalls start closing up at 7.00 p.m.

There are a number of other options for dining and drinking at The Avenue.  Pizza Pizza is no more and has been replaced by Sergio's Pizza Factory after a couple of brief closures for remodeling.

2102743993_IMG_00641.jpg.7d77149d6cc8258b44d913bccb175812.jpg

It's a bit tricky because I recall seeing the Sergio's logo above the pizza ovens when it was still Pizza Pizza by Yanee.  This is their current offer (still applies as of Oct. 26):

IMG_0065.jpg.1183deaa0eabb4b8c3ff1e29aa7202e0.jpg

Basically, you are paying 300 baht  (269 baht plus 10% service) for a Margherita pizza, salad and beverage.  The Margherita pizzas weren't bad at all in the restaurant's previous incarnation and cost only 79 baht.

IMG_0224.jpg.d5129da4b6fbcacb9b26e8be850da5b0.jpg

I hope they revive that special offer.

IMG_0234.jpg.00b981f39f373fe4aca7f452e024e84b.jpg

The Avenue has several other dining options as well, ranging from a 24/7 McDonalds through the Robin Hood Tavern, Beer Fest, Firepork, Oishi,  Diner's Express, a Chinese restaurant on the third level and a couple more. There's also a Starbucks with a strong and fast free wifi.  Most of these restaurants have already been reviewed elsewhere in this section.  Depending on your taste in food,  a couple of them could be worth a special visit.  Parking is readily available at The Avenue.

A new eating section has opened on the second floor:

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

A Thai man was celebrating his birthday with his wife and a friend.  He asked me to take pics.  I will email him a copy of them.

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

Very little of the enclosed retail space is occupied, especially on the second and third levels.

Evil

• Like 3

Work continues on the food court.  I took the pic of the ventilation units two nights again and this morning they weren't there, presumably installed.

IMG_0069.jpg.3dc61959af1da40cfe4c8ec2b66277a1.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg.38e814ecb9ac8d97128a451f22c0e30f.jpg

• Thanks 1

i doubt anyone will do any good while all those vendors are on the front.  should be cleared for the tenants to get traffic.  its killed it again

On 11/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, Krapow said:

Enjoy the oishi buffet there. 

Moved out I think.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KWA said:

Moved out I think.

Annoyed by that, and even though the Avenue as a whole was dead, Oishi was always busy any time I was there. 

Anyone know where it's moved to, if at all?

4 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Annoyed by that, and even though the Avenue as a whole was dead, Oishi was always busy any time I was there. 

Anyone know where it's moved to, if at all?

Memory is not so good but I think I read it on one of the forums recently that it was moving to Central, but not open yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, KWA said:

Memory is not so good but I think I read it on one of the forums recently that it was moving to Central, but not open yet.

Cheers, kinda thought that. 

Hopefully be open for January, we both enjoy their buffet. 

Been to three different locations of Beerfest and liked the food at all of them (the Jomthien location now closed BTW).  Good beers too, the entire range was very drinkable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On Tuesday, November 27, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Krapow said:

Enjoy the oishi buffet there. 

On Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 6:51 PM, KWA said:

Moved out I think.

The oishi place was emptied of all it's facilities yesterday. I looked for signs saying where they had moved to but saw none.

The workers either "No speek eenglis" or didn't know either

Work continues on the new foodcourt at the back of the avenue. I briefly explored the building site yesterday.... Not a yellow hard hat in site!

It appears the back half is going to be open air. Has at least 12 cooking bays and the central bar area. Small square tables for 2 or 4 at a squash.

The front half appears to be enclosed, andvhas another 12 bays plus a central island with 6 other cooking stations.

Someone is spending a small fortune on it if the stainless extractor systems are anything to go by...

20181209_190018.jpg

20181209_190038.jpg

20181209_190124.jpg

20181209_190154.jpg

Edited by Painter

5 hours ago, Painter said:

The oishi place was emptied of all it's facilities yesterday. I looked for signs saying where they had moved to but saw none.

The workers either "No speek eenglis" or didn't know either

I can't vouch for this, but I read on another board they were moving to Central Festival and would reopen in mid-December.

Evil

6 hours ago, Painter said:

1544416474926-1221076227.jpg

Thats some meaty ducting and should do the trick and it looks quite well installed as well................painted, it could look like a piece of art !

• Like 1

That food court isn't good news for So's Place, which is immediately opposite.

8 hours ago, Bazel said:

That food court isn't good news for So's Place, which is immediately opposite.

Nor the food stalls that were there, but then moved upstairs out of the way...

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 8:05 PM, KWA said:

yes central, but next year.