Random Pictures. (Just add one photograph that you personally have taken).

john luke

So a few weeks back, Rachanee wakes me up in the middle of the night and asks me what this terrible smell is? I knew right away it was a Skunk. Even with the windows closed, it was bad. 

Week later the same, so we got one roaming the backyard in the neighborhood in the middle of the night, next door neighbor told me the same, they smell it too. So called this company called " Critter Control" in San Jose. What a joke, $400 for them to come out and leave 2 cages baited etc. Told them no thanks. 

Got on You Tube, checked a bunch of things and Home Depot has these cages. Bought it there and baited it with "Sardines"  

Did the trick as Sat night about 3:00am I hear the cage slam and this dude was alot bigger then I thought. He let out a ton of spray as Rachanee got about 10 feet from him and ran back in the house, it was bad.

So all the You Tube guys say throw a towel over the cage, let it calm down and then pick it up and move it to where you want to let it go in the mountains etc. Dave next door neighbor let me use his Ford Pick up truck, took it out to Bear Creek Road on HWY17 and lifted up the door and of course he would not come out!  Waited 2 minutes and he finally walked out slowly to enjoy his new life in the Mountains.

IMG_3360-2.jpg

IMG_3361-2.jpg

IMG_3362-2.jpg

IMG_3363-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

So a few weeks back, Rachanee wakes me up in the middle of the night and asks me what this terrible smell is? I knew right away it was a Skunk. Even with the windows closed, it was bad. 

Week later the same, so we got one roaming the backyard in the neighborhood in the middle of the night, next door neighbor told me the same, they smell it too. So called this company called " Critter Control" in San Jose. What a joke, $400 for them to come out and leave 2 cages baited etc. Told them no thanks. 

Got on You Tube, checked a bunch of things and Home Depot has these cages. Bought it there and baited it with "Sardines"  

Did the trick as Sat night about 3:00am I hear the cage slam and this dude was alot bigger then I thought. He let out a ton of spray as Rachanee got about 10 feet from him and ran back in the house, it was bad.

So all the You Tube guys say throw a towel over the cage, let it calm down and then pick it up and move it to where you want to let it go in the mountains etc. Dave next door neighbor let me use his Ford Pick up truck, took it out to Bear Creek Road on HWY17 and lifted up the door and of course he would not come out!  Waited 2 minutes and he finally walked out slowly to enjoy his new life in the Mountains.

IMG_3360-2.jpg

IMG_3361-2.jpg

IMG_3362-2.jpg

IMG_3363-2.jpg

A nice story with a happy ending.🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yessongs said:

IMG_3360-2.jpg

IMG_3361-2.jpg

IMG_3362-2.jpg

IMG_3363-2.jpg

Good story and good on you for giving the little guy another lease on life away from humankind, hopefully. We don't have skunks this far north so I had never smelled one in my life until I went out to Alberta to work the summer I got out of high school - we were driving back in from the jobsite one day and suddenly there was this awful smell and I asked the guys what it was, whereupon they told me it was a skunk that had been run over on the road; we must have run the corpse over as well because ten miles later when we pulled into camp, you could still smell it on the truck's tires!

Now that winter is here and the snow is on the ground, every morning I can keep track of last night's visitors to my yard, especially after a light snow like last night's. I had a mouse hanging around that was worrying me a little - he was in and out of the unheated crawl spaces under my additions and I didn't really care about that but if he had gotten into the house it would have been bye-bye mouse - however a fox took care of him the other night, I could see the tracks clearly the next morning where the fox had pounced on him and got him!

Edited by maipenrai
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Yessongs said:

IMG_3360-2.jpg

IMG_3361-2.jpg

IMG_3362-2.jpg

IMG_3363-2.jpg

Nice of you to relocate him, some would have dropped that cage into the river. They sure do stink, I have come across a few dead ones in Canada that have been run over!  It used to be said that if you got sprayed, the only way to get rid of the smell was to take a bath in tomato juice.

Edited by boydeste
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Yessongs said:

IMG_3361-2.jpg

So who did you gift the towel to? :default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1