Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

I stated watching "1923" recently. This is a "Yellowstone" prequel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_(TV_series)

This is once again an exceptionally well received Taylor Sheridan series. It has an IMDB of 8.4.

I usually kick off my TV night with this show. I very much enjoy watching this series so far. I am up to E06. Nuff action to satisfy any action freak.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I stated watching "1923" recently. This is a "Yellowstone" prequel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_(TV_series)

This is once again an exceptionally well received Taylor Sheridan series. It has an IMDB of 8.4.

I usually kick off my TV night with this show. I very much enjoy watching this series so far. I am up to E06. Nuff action to satisfy any action freak.

Binged the first 4 seasons of Yellowstone the week I had COVID…..it’s up there for sure. Never bothered with the prequels yet

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:04 PM, forqalso said:

I’m binging Your Honor on whizz.tv. It’s a Showtime original starring Bryan Cranston as a New Orleans judge that covers up his teenage son’s hit and run accident that kills a mob kingpin’s son.  Halfway through season 1 of 2 and it is really good so far.

S01 was very good. I have S02 queued up, but have not started just yet. I am a Cranston fan.

On 4/22/2023 at 3:58 AM, Golfingboy said:

Binged the first 4 seasons of Yellowstone the week I had COVID…..it’s up there for sure. Never bothered with the prequels yet

I would recommend watching "1883" next. It's a very powerful limited series (it was supposed to be a limited series, but I have read that an S02 is in the works). It is about the trip West on the Oregon Trail.

IMDB is 8.7, which is unusually high. IMO that is also a well deserved IMDB rating. It is a very powerful story of the settling of the American West and the personal sacrifices that were made.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, gs joe said:

After a recommendation on this site watched the first season 

did enjoy, pleased to see season two is now out

IMG_2286.jpeg

I enjoyed S01. I just downloaded S02 tonight. It will be a while before I get around to watching it. The Thai Wife liked S01 as well. 

She also likes watching "The Vampire Diaries", which I am neutral on, but watch with her because she likes it. She calls this the handsome vampires show.

On 4/23/2023 at 11:57 PM, ChiFlyer said:

S01 was very good. I have S02 queued up, but have not started just yet. I am a Cranston fan.

Pretty far into S02 of "Your Honor" now. I am a little hesitant to say this, but -> if anything it is better than S01.

Cranston as usual is great, but the supporting roles played by Isiah Witlock Jr ("The Wire") and Ann Dowd ("The Handmaid's Tale" and "The Leftovers") take this to another level. Highly recommended.

I have been watching "Behind Her Eyes" (6 episode limited series on Netflix with a 7.2 IMDB).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behind_Her_Eyes_(TV_series)

I am enjoying watching this show and give it a worth a look see recommendation. It reminds me a little of "Servant". This is probably not for everyone, but those that enjoy macabre psycho-drama might want to check it out.

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

Haven’t had Netflix for a few months, but heard many offerings are being removed. The writers’ strike has something to do with it

Still plenty of good stuff on there on a regular basis, same with Disney +.

I suggest taking a look at IPT. IPT requires that you are invited by a member. I have a lot of invites available and would make some of those available to most members of this board.

PM me if interested.   

Cocaine Bear

This movie is so bad that it is pure camp. IMDB 6.0. Incidentally, it is based on a true story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocaine_Bear

I had been noticing some of the late night talk show hosts doing jokes about the movie, so primarily out of curiosity I decided to check it out. I was expecting that I would flush it after about 10 minutes. Nope. I watched the entire movie and got several big laughs out of it. It's only about 90 minutes long. 

It actually has a very strong cast -> Ray Liotta (his last film I think), Keri Russell ("The Americans"), Matthew Rhys ("The Americans"), Margo Martindale ("The Americans"), Isiah Whitlock Jr. ("The Wire" and "Your Honor").

I was a fan of "The Americans".

5 hours ago, galenkia said:

Brilliant.

IMG_0296.jpeg

The Thai Wife and I enjoyed watching S01. I currently have S02 ready to go in my Queue #3 (Weird Stuff and Zombies). I have to make it through "Servant S04" and "Shadow and Bone S02" first. Good to know that "Sweet Tooth S02" is unlikely to be a disappointment. The Thai Wife is satisfied for now watching "The Mandalorian S03" out of Queue 4 (Space and Vampires).

Just as an fyi Queue 1 is (More Serious Materials and Foreign (non-English) Shows) Queue 2 is (Cops, Crime, Action, and War).

• Like 1

I did not like the first Avatar movie. Most people did. I felt that the characters were stereotyped to the point that the excellent special effects were not worth the time.

I gave "Avatar: The way of Water" a try today due to the 7.8 IMDB rating. Same verdict. I flushed it after 15 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought I would post this here, as it may begin to affect what you are not watching on Netflix or anything else.

This is occurring in the US at this point. The Screen Writer's guild have gone on strike. The main reason for this is that the writers are receiving less money due to the way that streaming service contracts are structured. Here is a recap.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/03/media/writers-strike-reliable-sources/index.html

The main take away IMO is that neither party is going to give ground in the near future. As the article said the last strike of this nature that occurred about 15 years ago lasted 100 days.

So what is the immediate effect, if any:

• The Late Night Talk Shows (Colbert etc.) have halted production.
  • SNL has suspended the rest of their season.
  • Network execs appear unwilling to negotiate because they feel they have enough in the can to go a long way. I suspect we will be seeing crap in the can soon.
  • The last season of "Stranger Things" has halted production. Now wait a minute here.

Some news articles are calling the strike a fear of AI reaction. I disagree. I would call it an outrage of being ripped off by big business. Ok, I am on the writer's side.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have always been fascinated by the Hollywood Blacklisting that occurred during the McCarthy "Red Scare". This was the time that I started to become aware of the world around me.

https://millercenter.org/the-presidency/educational-resources/age-of-eisenhower/mcarthyism-red-scare

In the above link you will see references to the actions of Roy Cohn who later became Donald Trump's attorney. It is said that it was Cohn who schooled Trump in his "always deny and double down" approach to crisis management.

I watched Trumbo this afternoon. A pretty decent watch I thought. It is more than a little based upon this shameful period in US history. A period that has parallels to our current time IMO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumbo_(2015_film) 

Yes, this is another Bryan Cranston recommendation from CF.