Recomended TV Programs to Watch from Live TV and Streaming Services (Threads Merged)

galenkia

Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer

Way back in the day I went to a 3 day homicide investigation class. The guys who put on the class were two "sex crimes" homicide detectives from New York City. If I remember correctly most of the cases they worked on were in Manhattan.

The stuff they presented at that class was absolutely mind boggling. I mean, I had seen some shit in my time, but f**k me that didn't even scratch the surface compared to these guys. 

The pics and videos were all legit and real, and only cases these guys had worked on and from their jurisdiction. Dozens and dozens of them. The shit I saw in that class would make Charles Mason vomit.

A significant thing that I learned - was the extent of the mutilation that goes on in many of those cases. A real eye opener, to say the least.

No human being should have to suffer as some of those people did (mostly women). 

What I found puzzling was how those detectives could work day in and day out working those cases. I am sure it took it's tole.

****  I now recognize one of the detectives that taught the class I mentioned as on of the instructprs from the detectives who taught the class = the bald guy, Veronn Garatt I believe. I clearly recognize him, for certain.    

Edited by Glasseye

2 hours ago, Glasseye said:

Crime Scene: The Times Square Killer

The pics and videos were all legit and real, and only cases these guys had worked on and from their jurisdiction. Dozens and dozens of them. The shit I saw in that class would make Charles Mason vomit.

A significant thing that I learned - was the extent of the mutilation that goes on in many of those cases. A real eye opener, to say the least.

No human being should have to suffer as some of those people did (mostly women). 

****  I now recognize one of the detectives that taught the class I mentioned as on of the instructprs from the detectives who taught the class = the bald guy, Veronn Garatt I believe. I clearly recognize him, for certain.    

One thing that has always stuck out in my mind I learned from a psychology professor back in 1993. He was talking about conformity or groups or something, and mentioned a rape victim many years ago- NYC too I believe. Apparently the attacker went back to hurt her multiple times, for a long period, while hundreds of people heard her screams. Not one person called 911 though, because everyone figured someone else must have phoned. I think she ended up dying right there in the alley, and had just one single soul picked up the phone, she would have survived 

34 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

One thing that has always stuck out in my mind I learned from a psychology professor back in 1993. He was talking about conformity or groups or something, and mentioned a rape victim many years ago- NYC too I believe. Apparently the attacker went back to hurt her multiple times, for a long period, while hundreds of people heard her screams. Not one person called 911 though, because everyone figured someone else must have phoned. I think she ended up dying right there in the alley, and had just one single soul picked up the phone, she would have survived 

Are you remembering the murder of Kitty Genovese in 1964? Didn't realize until reading the Wikipedia entry the facts didn't support the Times article that bystanders were unwilling to help. Still, I think the "bystander effect" is real as we hear all to often the excuse "I didn't want to get involved".

In the early hours of March 13, 1964, Kitty Genovese, a 28-year-old bartender, was stabbed outside the apartment building where she lived in the Kew Gardens neighborhood of Queens in New York City, New York, United States.[2][3][4] Two weeks after the murder, The New York Times published an article erroneously claiming that 38 witnesses saw or heard the attack, and that none of them called the police or came to her aid.[5]

The incident prompted inquiries into what became known as the bystander effect, or "Genovese syndrome",[6] and the murder became a staple of U.S. psychology textbooks for the next four decades. However, researchers have since uncovered major inaccuracies in the New York Times article. Police interviews revealed that some witnesses had attempted to call the police.

Reporters at a competing news organization discovered in 1964 that the Times article was inconsistent with the facts, but they were unwilling at the time to challenge Times editor Abe Rosenthal. In 2007, an article in the American Psychologist found "no evidence for the presence of 38 witnesses, or that witnesses observed the murder, or that witnesses remained inactive".[7] In 2016, the Times called its own reporting "flawed", stating that the original story "grossly exaggerated the number of witnesses and what they had perceived".[8]

Winston Moseley, a 29-year-old Manhattan native, was arrested during a house burglary six days after the murder. While in custody, he confessed to killing Genovese. At his trial, Moseley was found guilty of murder and sentenced to death; this sentence was later commuted to life imprisonment. Moseley died in prison on March 28, 2016, at the age of 81, having served 52 years.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Kitty_Genovese

1 minute ago, Golfingboy said:

@forcebwithuYes that was indeed the case. It’s a pity the Times was inaccurate, kind of changes the whole story, doesn’t it? 

Just another lesson in not trusting a single source for correct info.

I've no doubt that with some searching it would be easy enough to come up with multiple other legit examples of the bystander effect.

19 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Just another lesson in not trusting a single source for correct info.

I've no doubt that with some searching it would be easy enough to come up with multiple other legit examples of the bystander effect.

Sure, when us farangs see another foreigner getting the snot kicked out of him on Walking Street

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

That was the famous Kitty Genovese case.

That case was one of the things that formed "The Broken Windows Theory". Which is basically about how to lower crime rates. The underpinning of the theory was if more people got involved with their communities, reported suspicious behavior, removed gaffiti, and fixed things like broken windows ---- then the crime rates would drop.

It formed the basic policies of the Rudy Guliani administration. Early on there were serious claims that the changes enacted by Rudy were successful, but that is widely debated - as many of the well accepted benificial policies were seriously offset by aggressive "stop and frisk" policies, etc. 

Most serious social scientist and community leaders say overall the policies failed. Rudy was over time considered a big flop and well.... now we see where he is heading.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, galenkia said:

This ain't bad. 

MV5BYjA0N2YzNGYtNDk1Yy00MDFiLTlmMTAtY2JlMDNhYzg2OGE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjEwNTM2Mzc@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Was mentioned above, I’m going to give it a chance tomorrow or the next day.

I’ve been binging on this the last 3-4 days. Great show, addictive actually,  I’m into the 3rd season already but if I’m really being honest, just one thing bothers me. It involves one of the main characters and his graphic love for other males. One scene was quite explicit for just simple cable telly

Why has society got to shove this in our faces? Is it so awful to have have manly men who prefer pussy? F—k me the world has gone nuts…

Anyway Happy New Year Allan….

7B9D6EF9-48F5-491D-8DF1-578459E2B5DE.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2

On 6/21/2021 at 6:04 PM, forcebwithu said:

Finished binge watching three seasons of Yellowstone. Been putting off watching the series as I didn't think I would enjoy it. Man was I wrong. Great series, with some great views of the Western US. Kind of wishing now I had waited until season 4 was released as the cliffhanger at end of season 3 was one of the best I've seen in a long time. 

yellowstone.jpg

Finally, Season 4 of Yellowstone just concluded and I can now settle in for some serious binge watching of the series.

b8fa74f6ecbf56139f3f829c0f22c1f4.png

• Thumbs Up 1