Golf

Archie43

Congrats to Phil for winning his debut event on Champions Tour. If this is a sign of things to come, maybe his competitors should hold off on purchases they were going to make......he will be taking lots of $ out of their pockets. This shows that the guys who have just turned 50 and stayed in shape, have a huge advantage. I’m happy to see Mike Weir is even doing well, already 46th on the money list- he went through a dark phase a decade ago where he had a hard time breaking 80. 
Conversely, I would hope that guys like Love III and Vijay play more on Champions. I hate seeing a guy 56 or 57, who has probably earned $100 million+ in their life, take a PGA tournament spot from a 23 year old trying to make a living. Even if they make the cut, will $15-30k change their lives? No. But Phil will have many choices next season - he is good enough to still win on PGA, but IMO is almost guaranteed a top 5 every week he tees it up on Champions.

703AF8E0-B5A1-4AA6-98F3-C37EAD5663EC.jpeg

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 4:11 AM, Golfingboy said:

Congrats to Phil for winning his debut event on Champions Tour. If this is a sign of things to come, maybe his competitors should hold off on purchases they were going to make......he will be taking lots of $ out of their pockets. This shows that the guys who have just turned 50 and stayed in shape, have a huge advantage. I’m happy to see Mike Weir is even doing well, already 46th on the money list- he went through a dark phase a decade ago where he had a hard time breaking 80. 
Conversely, I would hope that guys like Love III and Vijay play more on Champions. I hate seeing a guy 56 or 57, who has probably earned $100 million+ in their life, take a PGA tournament spot from a 23 year old trying to make a living. Even if they make the cut, will $15-30k change their lives? No. But Phil will have many choices next season - he is good enough to still win on PGA, but IMO is almost guaranteed a top 5 every week he tees it up on Champions.

703AF8E0-B5A1-4AA6-98F3-C37EAD5663EC.jpeg

Good post.

I would not have considered your point about the "seniors" keeping a young golfer with aspirations from a PGA spot.

I never suffered from having a hard time breaking 80 due to the fact that I rarely broke 90. 🤣

Just now, Jambo said:

Good post.

I would not have considered your point about the "seniors" keeping a young golfer with aspirations from a PGA spot.

I never suffered from having a hard time breaking 80 due to the fact that I rarely broke 90. 🤣

😂 I have no problem with past Champions playing majors until their early 60’s, they earned that right, and in the Masters they are not “taking a spot”. But like I said, Father Time is undefeated, 56 and older guys in regular Tour events have a zero of winning. Vijay even teed it up on the developmental Korn Ferry during the pandemic, which is totally shocking with his net worth and the tiny purses. He claimed he just “needed the competition”. I can see why he’s not the guy with the most friends on Tour

6 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

😂 I have no problem with past Champions playing majors until their early 60’s, they earned that right, and in the Masters they are not “taking a spot”. But like I said, Father Time is undefeated, 56 and older guys in regular Tour events have a zero of winning. Vijay even teed it up on the developmental Korn Ferry during the pandemic, which is totally shocking with his net worth and the tiny purses. He claimed he just “needed the competition”. I can see why he’s not the guy with the most friends on Tour

Years ago I was a spectator at the Bob Hope Classic and I recall watching Vijay tee off and my mate said

"You know why Vijay hits the ball so straight don't you?"

"No idea." says I

"Well when he was growing up he was scared to hit the ball into the rough in case he got eaten by a lion."

"Lions?  I don't think there are lions in Fiji?" says I

"Well nobody told him that." says my mate 🤣

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, Golfingboy said:

John Daly has been diagnosed with bladder cancer. It was caught early enough and he had surgery right away, but 85% chance it returns

Damn

I had bladder cancer 10 years ago and they took out a tumor the size of a cigar.

It was only by accident that I discovered it from a random piss test that showed blood in the piss and in less than a month, they stuck a rope up my dick and played pacman and cut it out. Two days later, I was back at work....

And it does come back! I have a checkup every 6 months and it returned several times, only to be removed.

49 minutes ago, Mrmango said:

I had bladder cancer 10 years ago and they took out a tumor the size of a cigar.

It was only by accident that I discovered it from a random piss test that showed blood in the piss and in less than a month, they stuck a rope up my dick and played pacman and cut it out. Two days later, I was back at work....

And it does come back! I have a checkup every 6 months and it returned several times, only to be removed.

Well I’m very happy you caught it on time. I saw him speak for about 5 minutes after Friday’s round, he went further in depth. He had blood in urine too, as well as kidney stones, along with back pain. This caused him to WD from the tournament 3 weeks ago. So one of his doctors, said “hey, I’m the wrong guy here, let me refer to you to a urologist “.....and he got the diagnosis, and a quick surgery. 

Tiger, Thomas, Morikawa just teed off.

I know it’s only one shot, but Tiger’s driver was behind Justin’s 3 wood. Father Time catches up to all of us

Rory birdies his par 3 opener

Man this is shaping up to be a great week, much more excited for this than the PGA, though that was a decent week as well

Edited by Golfingboy
  • Like 1

Honestly disappointed to see the scores so low, 5 under leading and worst score is 78, with many amateurs in the field. 
But........even with the field 12 players short, they set up easier pins to ensure everyone can finish today & Friday, because of much less daylight compared to June. So it looks like the USGA had no choice to be “nicer” to the players. 
Even if they make it as dry and tough as possible for the weekend, for sure the winner will be lower than Ogilvy’s +5 in 2006. 
There is no doubt on these tracks if you’re not averaging 310+, you’re at a huge disadvantage. It’s a shame, I know the guys are very strong and fit, but they must show the golf ball down......it’s good enough already 

Ah, good to see the course playing much tougher today. Pieters got to -6, but 4 bogeys on the back. Bubba, Berger and DJ all in red numbers for the round, and should move way up by end of Friday. 

I can’t believe the distances they are hitting in the cooler weather. Taylor Pendrith hit one 378......hope I see him more on the PGA Tour in the future

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golfingboy said:

Ah, good to see the course playing much tougher today. Pieters got to -6, but 4 bogeys on the back. Bubba, Berger and DJ all in red numbers for the round, and should move way up by end of Friday. 

I can’t believe the distances they are hitting in the cooler weather. Taylor Pendrith hit one 378......hope I see him more on the PGA Tour in the future

Yer, that is rediculous.