Golf

Archie43

9 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

It was brilliant, he only turned pro a couple of weeks ago 

Without Google I'd be confident you were making it up🤤..bookmakers benefit  I'd guess. Had heard about the Norwegian lad turning pro. What is that makes these 160 runner events so unpredictable 🤔

I was sad to receive an email this morning saying I wasn’t picked for  2020 Masters tickets.
I appreciate the gesture, but I was all excited by the title, thinking I had actually won the draw 

Had the same email two days ago.

Open Championship starts Thursday.  Read a preview piece looking the the official world ranking of the recent winners (OWGR).

Of the last 19 winners

• 9  of 19 ranked in the world top 10
  • 17  of 19 ranked in the top 55( hate retrofitting of stats but just done it myself🙄)

The 2 outliers where Darren Clarke ranked 111 (tournament held in N Ireland-stewards enquiry? 🤔) and Ben Curtis rated 200th based in the world at the time- let's face if the 200th ranked player wins chance are he's not your selection.

Seems only the best need apply- probably not saying anything golf fans didn't already know, but will stop my usual mad bombing on outsiders. Oh and it does get windy in N Ireland🤯

Going to wait till I see the draw and play on Wednesday evening with an eye on the weather forecast pick some top 50 players, who may look to have an early Thurs/late Friday tee time or vice versa in the "best "of the weather.

What can go wrong?🤣

8 hours ago, Lemondropkid said:

Open Championship starts Thursday.  Read a preview piece looking the the official world ranking of the recent winners (OWGR).

Of the last 19 winners

• 9  of 19 ranked in the world top 10
  • 17  of 19 ranked in the top 55( hate retrofitting of stats but just done it myself🙄)

The 2 outliers where Darren Clarke ranked 111 (tournament held in N Ireland-stewards enquiry? 🤔) and Ben Curtis rated 200th based in the world at the time- let's face if the 200th ranked player wins chance are he's not your 

200 is not that far fetched, I think Curtis was closer to 400, no? How he even got in that year is beyond me. I was reading today about how Wolff is not in the Open even with his win, but McDowell(who I’m really pulling for) got in with only a T-8 at the Canadian Open. The Open Qualifying Series is not the fairest thing, but at least it lets in some guys outside of Top 50 at the last moment

1 hour ago, Golfingboy said:

200 is not that far fetched, I think Curtis was closer to 400, no? How he even got in that year is beyond me. I was reading today about how Wolff is not in the Open even with his win, but McDowell(who I’m really pulling for) got in with only a T-8 at the Canadian Open. The Open Qualifying Series is not the fairest thing, but at least it lets in some guys outside of Top 50 at the last moment

You are correct Sir! Apparently he was ranked 396th at the time. I must have misread from my original source. Interesting little bio on him

https://www.theopen.com/players/ben-curtis

On 7/15/2019 at 12:05 PM, Stillearly said:

Paddy Power paying top 10 again , so gone for Rahm , Day , Cantlay and Schauffele 

I've shopped around for better prices and traded off getting less places. Most of mine are 7 places

McIlroy 20ew @ 9/1 (10.0)- can't believe I'm going ew at that price

Rahm 20ew @ 15/1 (16.0)

Schuaffle 10ew @28/1 (29.0)

Pepperell 10ew @125/1 (126.0)

Jazz Janewattananond 5ew @ 300/1 (301.0)

Andrew Putnam 2.50ew @300/1 (301.0)

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

I've shopped around for better prices and traded off getting less places. Most of mine are 7 places

McIlroy 20ew @ 9/1 (10.0)- can't believe I'm going ew at that price

Rahm 20ew @ 15/1 (16.0)

Schuaffle 10ew @28/1 (29.0)

Pepperell 10ew @125/1 (126.0)

Jazz Janewattananond 5ew @ 300/1 (301.0)

Andrew Putnam 2.50ew @300/1 (301.0)

I did £10ew

Schauffele 25/1

Cantalay 28/1

Rahm 16/1

Day 40/1

1 minute ago, Stillearly said:

I did £10ew

Schauffele 25/1

Cantalay 28/1

Rahm 16/1

Day 40/1

You got some decent prices, Rahm seems to have shortened up generally by a couple of points.

Isn't Jason Day the guy who is always injured, even vertigo once when playing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lemondropkid said:

You got some decent prices, Rahm seems to have shortened up generally by a couple of points.

Isn't Jason Day the guy who is always injured, even vertigo once when playing? 

Yes I've backed him a few times in the past , I read that he is now working with Steve Williams ( Ex Tiger and Adam Scott ) , he's my outsider, former world no 1 and has won a major before 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was listening to the Golf Channel Live @ the Open segments, they have some really good info. One stat I was sure I had heard wrong, is that Jack Nicklaus had a stretch of 15 Opens in the Top 6. Sure enough, I checked and from 1966-80 his worst finish was a T6. Amazing consistency. Look at the 70’s, one MC and 2 other finishes outside the Top 13.....in 40 events

30FA3EA9-0073-495A-8215-F7DD6EA12DE9.png

Edited by Golfingboy