Golf

Archie43

Just saw Spieth & Stenson tee off, Spieth didn’t have enough club to reach the fairway and Henrik carried by less than 5 yards. I assume this means conditions are getting tougher, and they moved the tee times up for good reason. Molinari shot -5 to move to T25, if that score keeps moving up we know scores are high today

19 hours ago, misteregg said:

Nice video. Sometimes the trophy can be disrespected. I remember Euro team drinking alcohol out of the Ryder cup, a bit sad, Samual Ryder was very religious a tee total.

Get what you say Phil, but it's such a celebration to win the claret jug. It's hard to fathom the bottle these guys have, especially starting the final round a few shots ahead.

I'm afraid it is one of my claims to fame - I've drunk champagne out of the claret jug. I've been a Wentworth member since 1989 - when Ernie won the British Open a few of us played the west course in the morning and sat in the clubhouse all afternoon watching the final round on a big screen tv. Great atmosphere as Ernie won it. After the formalities and his media commitments he jumped onto his private jet, zoomed back to Surrey, dropped his family off at the house and came into the Wentworth clubhouse. What a night that was. We drank the place out of champagne (he covered the entire bill for us, including everything we ate and drank since getting in from playing). When he first arrived he poured a bottle of DP into the claret jug and we passed it round.

It wasn't the "actual" claret jug - they give the winners a replica which they're instructed to use for any public appearances. Did the job for us though.

• Thumbs Up 1