Golf

Archie43

A well-placed industry executive says LIV struck out with approaches to multiple broadcasters, including NBC, CBS, Disney, Apple and Amazon, and that Fox Sports got involved only at the behest of Lachlan Murdoch, the executive chairman and CEO of Fox Corp. Last month, Sports Business Journal reported that Jared Kushner, the son-in-law of Donald Trump, had been calling broadcasters trying to generate interest in a LIV television package. In 2021, Kushner’s private equity firm, Affinity Partners, secured $2 billion in funding from the Saudi Public Investment Fund.

“There were people at Fox who wanted nothing to do with this,” the source said. “They were forced to do it.”

LIV requested a rights fee for year two of any deal and a guaranteed time slot on network television but both proposals were rejected by Fox, according to a source familiar with the specifics of the conversations. It is believed Fox has offered to re-evaluate network placement at a later date. LIV will also be responsible for the production of its tournament broadcasts and for selling commercial sponsorships during its time slots, two tasks that would usually fall to a broadcast partner.

“Any advertiser who touches this will get blasted,” a longtime sports TV executive said. “It’s a weak product but it’s a tainted product on top of that.”

20 minutes ago, happyfalang said:

Does their Formula 1 race have the same effect on advertisers?  How bout when  Man City plays? 

F1 and MC aren't involved with Saudi 

its Newcastle that's been recently purchased by the Saudis , no idea if there's been any negative impact , I haven't seen any 

I thought Sheik Monsour or something like that owned a large part of Man City.  I mean not outright but I guess if it's watered down it's OK.

I hadn't heard about Newcastle.  Yes, we will need to see if it's going to have negative impact.

As a fan of American baseball and football (our NFL version) I hope no Saudi money infiltrates ownership. 

8 hours ago, happyfalang said:

I thought Sheik Monsour or something like that owned a large part of Man City.  I mean not outright but I guess if it's watered down it's OK.

I hadn't heard about Newcastle.  Yes, we will need to see if it's going to have negative impact.

As a fan of American baseball and football (our NFL version) I hope no Saudi money infiltrates ownership. 

He does , but he's from Abu Dhabi , not Saudi 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not really big news in general, but for me it is….met Mike once, he is tiny in person but achieved so much, including the 2003 Masters. One of the greatest athlete ambassadors Canada ever had. 

Don’t see myself going to watch even though it’s 30 miles from home. USA will surely pulverize the INT team again, and I’d rather spend my $ on the Grand Prix a few months before.

1CD7A823-5305-4E11-8600-62AF9DB484F6.jpeg

• Like 1

I'd go if it was 30 miles from home.  Yes, the US team is favored but the level of talent there and camaraderie will be awesome.  And I do remember Weir.  I used to have discussions with the Euros about how he SHOULD have been on the US Ryder cup team.  I mean it wouldn't have taken more than a long weekend to invade and take Canada and then he would have qualified.  😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, happyfalang said:

I'd go if it was 30 miles from home.  Yes, the US team is favored but the level of talent there and camaraderie will be awesome.  And I do remember Weir.  I used to have discussions with the Euros about how he SHOULD have been on the US Ryder cup team.  I mean it wouldn't have taken more than a long weekend to invade and take Canada and then he would have qualified.  😂

I think he grew up 5 miles from Detroit, or Michigan at least

Curious about PSC membership.  I know in the old days it was used to get discounts at a lot of golf courses.  Seems the last few years it really hasn't been asked for.  Discounts seem to be negotiated by the organizers of various golf outings and if you are part of that you get the discount.

My membership has come due and I am not inclined to renew.  Any opinions?

• 3 months later...

Congratulations to Jon Rahm, played a great final round, and to think his first hole Thursday was a 4-putt double. Very shocked Brooks didn’t hold on, he looked unbeatable, many gamblers lost big $$$ not cashing out 

Not my favourite Masters TBH….Only got to watch Sunday. The weather & tee time draw really played a huge role this year. Rory didn’t even make the cut…LIV guys were not as rusty as I thought, Brooks, Phil, Reed all finished high

Happy to see LIV made prize $ higher on PGA, Hughes 🇨🇦 $125K for a T-29 finish, unreal. Still I hope LIV nonsense goes away for good soon and we are back to the best players all on PGA/DP Tours

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

Congratulations to Jon Rahm, played a great final round, and to think his first hole Thursday was a 4-putt double. Very shocked Brooks didn’t hold on, he looked unbeatable, many gamblers lost big $$$ not cashing out 

Not my favourite Masters TBH….Only got to watch Sunday. The weather & tee time draw really played a huge role this year. Rory didn’t even make the cut…LIV guys were not as rusty as I thought, Brooks, Phil, Reed all finished high

Happy to see LIV made prize $ higher on PGA, Hughes 🇨🇦 $125K for a T-29 finish, unreal. Still I hope LIV nonsense goes away for good soon and we are back to the best players all on PGA/DP Tours

Brooks sounding like he wishes he hadn't made the move , but was the right thing for him at the time , he was injured and not playing well , the guaranteed $$$$ too much to turn down 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

2nd major starts next Thursday, always used to be in August. Very impressed when I saw this contingent, 🇨🇦 golf has come a long way….,25 years ago we might have had 1 guy in top 200 worldwide. I’m sure it’s also due to LIV defections, but whatever…..

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

Conners “escapes” with a double, such a perfect round ruined by one swing. Going to be quite the Sunday, lots of big names at the top. Congratulations to Michael Block, only one of the 25 Club pros to make the weekend, and his 3rd straight 70 has him in Top 10……unreal. One of those pros was +25 for two rounds, shows how good the talent is at the highest level

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Congrats to Koepka, it was very interesting until Hovland thinned it out of the exact same spot as Conners did Saturday. 5 majors at 33 years old, for a guy who’s no longer on the Tour and has had many injuries, AND got a later start than most American stars. One of the greatest players I’ve seen in my time, that’s the truth

Amazing performance by Michael Block, the club pro. An ace on the fly, and a par putt on 18 that just held on by a hair, to gain automatic exemption into next year’s PGA…..game of inches as they say

And Rory…..what can I say? T7 to lose by 7, when it seems I saw him blow at least a dozen strokes on the weekend. Love the guy, but to be majorless for a decade now, he’s wasting his talent

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Stillearly said:

A lot of 💦 at the end of the Schwab ...

Grillo definitely caught a squirter, eh? WTF can you do, at least his boys just won the World Cup

In recent memory, I can’t remember scoring being so tough in a non-major on the weekend. Hall was -8 Round 1, the guys in the playoff same score. The week after a major thought, and no doubt LIV defectors have weakened the talent pool. Anyway, still nice to see the guys not needing 35 birdies to win. Course plays the exact same yardage as it did in 1940’s……crazy

Edited by Golfingboy