How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Thai Spice

Pictures - Digital or paper ?

Well, now that I have plenty time available I have started to look at things I had completely put aside during the last 10 / 15 years. 

Among those was  properly sorting all the paper pictures I have, some going back to my parents and grand parents, and being over 60 y old.

And this made me thinking "what about all those recent digital pictures I have stored on my laptop, and other USB keys ?"

Of course  digital pics are very convenient, you can make and store 1,000's of them cheaply and easyly.  But, besides that I prefer to look at a photo album than a IPad, what will happen to them in 50 years ?

How are we going to "read" them ? It is very unlikely the actual systems and protocols will still be supported, without speaking about the devices to read them on. How are we going to transmit then to our kids and later grandkids ?

Think about it, cassette tape, VHS, floppy disc etc... impossible to read them now, except having some old device. Same for slides (diapositives), I have hundred of them and since my projector has died many years ago, I struggle to find one nowadays.

Hence we decided to start printing and put in albums some pictures that we deem most valuable, and that we would like to stay readable in the family once we have  left this earth.

What also motivated me was when I noticed the prices in my usual print shop that I use here for various documents copying or printing.

a 3 x 5 print is 3,000 IDR ( 7 Th - 0,18 Euro)

4 x 6  is 4,000 IDR ( 9 Thb - 0,25 E)

Not worth buying a printer ! You can have 100 pics 4 x 6 printed for 25 Euro. You wont be able to buy a ink cartridge for that price !

So the project has started. Frames to put on the wall are also cheap as chips, and I managed to find to album at Carrefour for 10,000 IDR (23B), discounted from 50,000 IDR. I guess nobody uses them anymore, everybody has gone digital.

Your opinion gentlemen ?

• Like 1

I keep all mine digital, as you say printing them at home is not economical besides which the quality is crap and they don't last.

5 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

I keep all mine digital, as you say printing them at home is not economical besides which the quality is crap and they don't last.

Well, they did last in the past.

This one is from 1959

20181129_082319-768x1024.thumb.jpg.7da49475130662aee67bdda1679dbf5a.jpg

And yep, I already had that famous Latin smile !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, they did last in the past.

This one is from 1959

Iam guessing it was not printed at home on a $50 bubblejet printer.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Iam guessing it was not printed at home on a $50 bubblejet printer.

Well, in those days they used those silver bath thing if  I remember right.

The print shop I use has some decent equipment but of course I wont be here in 50 years to see if it last.

4 minutes ago, Thai Spice said:

Well, in those days they used those silver bath thing if  I remember right.

The print shop I use has some decent equipment but of course I wont be here in 50 years to see if it last.

Yeah, My comment about quality is in regards to pictures printed at home on cheap bubblejet printer.

I apologise if this was not clear.

No issue with quality from a proper print shop, I have used them occasionally to scale up a digital picture and print it large format to be given away as gifts.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

3 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

Think about it, cassette tape, VHS, floppy disc etc... impossible to read them now, except having some old device.

This is actually a serious technological concern to people charged with keeping records of important things, like archivists and government record keepers.  What happens when there's no computer left that can read a Windows-formatted hard disk?

• Like 1

People have transferred from reel to reel or vinyl onto cassette, from VHS/Betamax onto floppy, from floppy onto memory sticks, etc etc for years.  No reason to think it won't continue as technology develops.   Legacy systems in workplaces if not at home ensure hardware will be available, and probably most of all, if someone can make money from it, they will do.

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, KWA said:

People have transferred from reel to reel or vinyl onto cassette, from VHS/Betamax onto floppy, from floppy onto memory sticks, etc etc for years.  No reason to think it won't continue as technology develops.   Legacy systems in workplaces if not at home ensure hardware will be available, and probably most of all, if someone can make money from it, they will do.

Only a very small part. And most "transfer" operation I saw were costly and often messy.

But my topic is on a individual level, not corporations. 

If of course you care about family souvenirs being transmitted from generation to generation...

Personally I still have cassettes, dvd's and slides .

Yes, it's a small part because many people don't think it's worth the effort or cost, even though that self same technology has made it so simple.

Every media mentioned on this thread so far can be cheaply and easily converted - there's even youtube videos showing you how to do it if you don't want to take them to the shop.

I understand "cheap" is relative so it depends on what value you put on keeping these things.

Agree with TS it's a real shame so many images are lost when formats change and best to have your most important pictures printed professionally... I'm lucky to have lots of old family pics , including one of a 3xgreat grandmother taken in the 1890s 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2018 at 12:15 AM, Thai Spice said:

Well, now that I have plenty time available I have started to look at things I had completely put aside during the last 10 / 15 years. 

Among those was  properly sorting all the paper pictures I have, some going back to my parents and grand parents, and being over 60 y old.

And this made me thinking "what about all those recent digital pictures I have stored on my laptop, and other USB keys ?"

Of course  digital pics are very convenient, you can make and store 1,000's of them cheaply and easyly.  But, besides that I prefer to look at a photo album than a IPad, what will happen to them in 50 years ?

How are we going to "read" them ? It is very unlikely the actual systems and protocols will still be supported, without speaking about the devices to read them on. How are we going to transmit then to our kids and later grandkids ?

Think about it, cassette tape, VHS, floppy disc etc... impossible to read them now, except having some old device. Same for slides (diapositives), I have hundred of them and since my projector has died many years ago, I struggle to find one nowadays.

Hence we decided to start printing and put in albums some pictures that we deem most valuable, and that we would like to stay readable in the family once we have  left this earth.

What also motivated me was when I noticed the prices in my usual print shop that I use here for various documents copying or printing.

a 3 x 5 print is 3,000 IDR ( 7 Th - 0,18 Euro)

4 x 6  is 4,000 IDR ( 9 Thb - 0,25 E)

Not worth buying a printer ! You can have 100 pics 4 x 6 printed for 25 Euro. You wont be able to buy a ink cartridge for that price !

So the project has started. Frames to put on the wall are also cheap as chips, and I managed to find to album at Carrefour for 10,000 IDR (23B), discounted from 50,000 IDR. I guess nobody uses them anymore, everybody has gone digital.

Your opinion gentlemen ?

Ironically Thai spice, I’ve started doing the same. Looked out all my pictures on my separate hard drive and printing off the ones we are going to frame and put on the walls of our new home, now we are settled in. Also hooking out very old family albums to choose pictures that I’m going to get reprinted.

I’ve even gone to the expense of buying a electric bevel cut, circular saw for the shed, so I can make all the frames for the pictures. My son is really looking forward to helping me. It’s a father & son bonding opportunity and not to be missed. 🤗

I’ve seen the site, or similar, to the one you mentioned and have to agree, it’s so much cheaper to get them printed, rather than print them off at home. 

I’m also putting together an album for my son, of pictures of my youth, mostly B&W and even some Sepia pictures unfortunately. 😟

I’ve many old family pics that are in a poor state, fortunately, my Brother In Law is a photographic wiz, as he had several photo labs in Tasmania and Sydney, so I send them to him and he brings them back to life for me. Although he has gone digital now, he has kept one machine to process old style photos and negatives, many of which I still possess.

What I have found, is that home printed pictures seem to fade faster than those that were professionally printed in an old style photo laboratory.  A reminder to me to hang pictures out of direct sunlight.  🤔

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, Stillearly said:

^ You can buy 99% UV glass , which protects your pics 

Yes I know thanks. I think it’s sometimes called “ Museum Glass”. 👍

Edited by KhunDon

I think transferring some of them to paper is not a bad thing, I do on occassion. Transferring from "slides" from back in the 70's, I was pleasantly surprised how good they transferred to a disc like these pics. 

My Daughter and Son thought it was hiliarious to see me back in the day. 

Mike (2).jpg

Mike.jpg

R1-8.JPG

R1-10.JPG

R1-11.JPG

R1-14.JPG

R1-0.JPG

Edited by Yessongs
  • Like 5

My mother when young.

Always keep this photography  with me, wherever I stay 

IMG_20181202_090541.jpg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Lambik said:

My mother when young.

Always keep this photography  with me, wherever I stay 

Being the eldest of the brothers / sister, I have possession of most of the family old pics.

In a few years I will transmit most to my eldest son, and some to my sister for her to give to her daugthers. Brothers have each one kid also, but I dont see them interested in family stuff.

2 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

@Yessongs,

Nice pics ! 

How did you manage to transform slides to digital and / or to paper ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scan+slides+to+computer&sprefix=scan+slide%2Caps%2C476&crid=R068AJ5SSSZ9

This is the type of device, I think you were looking for.  It is a UK site but does show the various models available.

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, john luke said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scan+slides+to+computer&sprefix=scan+slide%2Caps%2C476&crid=R068AJ5SSSZ9

This is the type of device, I think you were looking for.  It is a UK site but does show the various models available.

Thanks Mate !

I'll dig deeper into the subject tmrw.

23 hours ago, Thai Spice said:

@Yessongs,

Nice pics ! 

How did you manage to transform slides to digital and / or to paper ?

DSCN1652-1024x768.thumb.JPG.ca49ae18dcc1fabd75c6e8048849afa4.JPG

Nice pic of you too...we have this place in USA called "Costco" much like Tesco, Makro here right? They have a very substantial photography section that started transferring from your slides to a "disc" 15 or so years ago.  Once you get it on a disc, then they can print an 8x10 out for you on paper. 

I took this pic of Steve Howe back in 1976,  transferred from a slide to disc to paper right?  Took it to him at a "meet and greet" in 2004 and he signed it. This is what he looks like today when I took these in 2015....let's not make fun of him.....none of us look like we did back in the 70's right? 

My concert pics from back in the 70's are priceless to me. So thankful they have this technology to do this today.....what is even more amazing to me is the fact I did not lose any of these precious slides I took with my Minolta SRT 101 back in the day.

DSCN2540.JPG

DSCN7826.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1