How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
Stickman

Noise-Cancelling Headphones

I am considering picking up a set of noise cancelling headphones and one of the main reasons for doing so is the apparent benefits they bring when flying. I've read up on all the best models so am clear on the make and model I might go for, so what I'd really like to hear is from anyone who has personal experience using them. Do they work that well? Do they really make a difference when flying? Did it make the flight that bit more comfortable? I'd love to hear if you think they work well and are worth it, or perhaps otherwise!

I purchased some JBL over ear ones with active noise cancelling prior to my last flight because daytime flight and knew sleep was not gunna happen.

Always thought they were a bit of a wank, how wrong was I and I regret not buying any years ago.

Reduce aircraft noise to almost nothing and screaming and crying f**k trophies about the same.

Only issue I had was the intercom systems blasted my ears to bit when an announcement was made.

Edited by Sir_Fondles

Executive Summary. Yes, well worth it.

I have a pair of Bose QC10 over-ear phones (now superseded). You need over-ear as opposed to on-ear to get the best noise cancelling effect IMO.

The Bose used an standard AA alkaline battery. The claimed life was 20 hours although I used to get closer to 30 hours. With the Bose, if the battery was flat then the phones wouldn't work. Some other brands still work albeit without noise cancelling.

The cancelling effect works better at lower frequencies, gets rid of the engine rumble, but you'll still hear the screaming kid in the seat behind you although at a lower volume.

The soft leather earcups get tatty fairly quickly, due to being continually punctured by hair bristles I'm told, however replacements are readily available on eBay at a reasonable price.

The Bose come in a hard case which is a bit too bulky to fit in an airline seat pocket. One more thing to try and store out of the way.

The QC10s are corded, terminating in a standard 3.5 mm plug and a two prong airline adapter. I found the cord a bit short so got a 2 M extension. Something you might want to consider if you go corded.

It's a competitive and continually evolving area. The best 2018 noise cancelling headphones might not be the best in 2019. Check the current reviews.

Oh yeah, wot he said ^^^^^ about announcements.

Edited by fygjam

1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

I purchased some JBL over ear ones with active noise cancelling prior to my last flight because daytime flight and knew sleep was not gunna happen.

Always thought they were a bit of a wank, how wrong was I and I regret not buying any years ago.

Reduce aircraft noise to almost nothing and screaming and crying f**k trophies about the same.

Only issue I had was the intercom systems blasted my ears to bit when an announcement was made.

To add to the above, mine are both cord and cordless, the supplied cord is adequate in length but I had to buy a 2 prong adapter.

claimed life using both ANC and bluetooth is 12 hours...battery is built in and is charged via a phone charger or supplied USB cord.

Was the cheapest set I could find @ $149.00aud.

Definitely worth it. It's amazing how much sound pressure can add to fatigue on long flights. For comfort I find over the ear best.

I bought my first pair, the Bose QC 2 in 2005. When they introduced the QC 15 they had a great trade in deal that I took advantage of in 2009 and have been using the same pair ever since, which says something about the quality of the product.

I replaced the ear cups and headband once after about two years of use. Easy to purchase the replacement and simple to install. However I found that after I moved to Thailand the faux leather material covering the fabric disintegrated quite rapidly in the heat and humidity here. Since the fabric covering the foam cushioning is very comfortable on its own, I picked and brushed away the remaining bits of the faux leather rather than buy another replacement kit. That was a couple years back and have been using them ever since on an almost daily basis listening to music and watching movies with no issues.

19 hours ago, Stickman said:

I am considering picking up a set of noise cancelling headphones and one of the main reasons for doing so is the apparent benefits they bring when flying. I've read up on all the best models so am clear on the make and model I might go for, so what I'd really like to hear is from anyone who has personal experience using them. Do they work that well? Do they really make a difference when flying? Did it make the flight that bit more comfortable? I'd love to hear if you think they work well and are worth it, or perhaps otherwise!

Which make and model have you opted for please?  I'm into my hi-fi somewhat and the other 2 posters use good brands. Just wondering what you decided on buying .

Never used any, and not really bothered by plane engine noise, but it could be useful during the "chants" when at the jungle house !

Undoubtedly the best things I ever bought for flying. You only realise how much noise there is inside a plane after you have worn them for a flight.

5 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Which make and model have you opted for please?  I'm into my hi-fi somewhat and the other 2 posters use good brands. Just wondering what you decided on buying .

I am looking at the Sony WH 1000XM3 as that seems to be getting the best reviews at the moment. Local price here is $NZ459, which is a bit over $US300.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stickman said:

I am looking at the Sony WH 1000XM3 as that seems to be getting the best reviews at the moment. Local price here is $NZ459, which is a bit over $US300.

Sorry but at that price I will stick with Xanax for cancelling any noise on my flights.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Reviews only go so far.

I remember, about 12 years or so ago there was a Thai centric website and every so often the guy would do informal writeups of some of the GoGo bars around Pattaya in his weekly column. At the time, two establishments were getting high praise. One place in Soi 16 and the other in Soi Diamond. Well I already knew about the Soi 16 place, I was in there when the 2006 coup against Thaksin occured, and I agreed with all that was being said about the place so I thought I'd give the place in Soi Diamond a try.

Well I'd barely got in the door and got my bum on a seat when I was being hit on by some fat plonker for a drink. (Plonker, my term for bar personnel who plonk themselves uninvited down next to you). I hadn't even had a chance to order a drink for myself. The on-stage talent didn't appear to be that good either. Well, because the writeup on the Soi 16 place had been spot on I thought I'd give the Soi Diamond place a second chance but the same thing happened as on my first visit so I never went back.

Reviews are a good starting point but at the end of the day you have to get down and dirty and try for yourself.

PS. The Sony WH 1000XM3 looks quite tasty, might consider treating myself to an upgrade of the QC10s.

More overpriced junk someone invented, that I don't need or want, just to make a few quid from.  I can sleep with a bit noise or even with the light on (it's amazing on planes how many can't).  If I couldn't I'd get earplugs or an eyemask.

Edited by KWA

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:45 PM, Stickman said:

I recently bought a pair of Linder (I believe they are called), love them.

Check Amazon or Lazada. You can find deals. I stayed under $100, they go up to $300. Honestly I have not tested the difference.

They do not block out all noise, but they help. Really really good sound quality. I listen to music off my phone with a cord or Bluetooth. A world of difference in sound quality. 

I use them more for listening than noise cancelling. Wish I had got some years ago.

Sign in to follow this