How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

john luke

Direct Flight V Stopover Flight

How important to you is having a direct flight to Bangkok?

Alternatively do you welcome the 'leg stretch'  or 'change of scenery' if  you fly indirect?

On my early trips I always went direct with EVA.

I then got a stonking deal on Oman, and quite enjoyed the brief stopover... quick bite to eat, massage in the business lounge, stretch the legs and use the bathroom, before another flight. Since then I've always been indirect, through the middle East.

• Like 1

Always gone for direct unless its been significantly cheaper,like £150,and with short turn around times.

Qatar i have used a couple of times,plus Lufthansa who had really good prices with under 2 hour turn around.

EVA has always been my preferred choice though.

I much prefer EVA direct, however in January I have booked with Oman, its just a quick break 9 nights, the price is what made me decide to go, £380, much more and i would of just waited till April when im booked on EVA. Loving this retirement, come and go as the funds allow 

Direct for me prefer EVA however the Thai midday flight suits me down to the ground after finishing a night shift.

Direct isn't available for most, and for me it's more a question of a short one and a long one, or two mid length ones.  I go for the two mid length ones.

I prefer to take non stop flights when with family as you get on at your departure point with next stop being your destination. No need to wake the wee one or prevent her from reaching all four corners of the transit airport.

I will be taking a multi flight journey with Emirates via Dubai end of November and that is my preference as I like to stretch my legs and the 2 x 6 hour flight duration suits me.

For info direct flights can stopover at a transit point but are usually the same flight number throughout the journey.  Used to be a BA flight that went direct from Manila to London via Hong Kong, I also once took a Philippine Airlines flight direct to London via Rawalpindi and Frankfurt.

In economy just get me there as fast as possible.

In business class I really don't mind. They can put me on as many flights and in as many lounges as they want. Keep feeding me champagne and food  with an entertainment system and a bed so I can have a nap when I want and I'm extremely happy.

I am on the other side of the Earth, so direct is not an option. Although, I did fly direct once from NY (JFK) to Phuket many years ago when Thai Airways was flying non-stop outta JFK to HKT. I think the flight was a little under 17 hours. :)  Now it takes me between 22 to 24 hours with 2 stopovers. Shit, flying from England to the SEA would be a shuttle for me. 

• Haha 1

Direct every time if price is sensible. Better chance for uninterupted kip and feel much fresher on arival because of it. If I need to stretch my legs then I will get up and walk up and down the plane!  Plus the journey time is a few hours less and chances of loosing your case minimised.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, john luke said:

How important to you is having a direct flight to Bangkok?

Alternatively do you welcome the 'leg stretch'  or 'change of scenery' if  you fly indirect?

Not important. I like a couple of hours in Dubai if flying Emirates. If it's direct then ok, no matter.

I think ive answered this one before. My preference, either flying solo or with family is to do so Direct and normally with EVA Air with my second choice being Thai Air. I like to fly from Heathrow as its only 2 hours from home and I like the flight times of 9pm ish OUT, so as to land at 3pm ish in BKK and 1pm ish INBOUND to land at LHR around 7pm. This means I can do half a day at work before flying, which means I can tidy up any loose ends from finishing the previous day. On the return leg it means I'm tucked up in bed by 10.30pm at home and can get up the next day and go to work. I don't like to waste much time on either journey.

Also, on the arrival at Thailand leg, there is a 'connecting' flight to Udon Thani around 5pm, so this suits me/us too............

• Like 2

Depends on how long i'm going for. Anything less than a week than it has to be direct.

1 -2 weeks then i'll go with a stop if the price is right and the stop isn't more than 2-3 hours max. Only via HK, KL, HEL, AMS though. Stopping in the ME is awful from LHR as it makes it two 6-7 hour flights which when you account for the take off, landing phases, food service etc means only about 4-5 hours when you can sleep on each flight. So if you sleep on the first flight then you're woken up too soon which messes up your sleep pattern, you have to then be awake and alert for 1-2 hours at least and it's really hard to then sleep again on the next flight. Staying awake on the first flight is better but then you'll still only get 4-5 hours sleep on the second leg. Going via HEL, AMS, HK or KL means one of the flights is at least 9-10 hours which is perfect to get a good sleep in.

More than 2 weeks then it's just whatever flight is the cheapest in Biz on a 1W carrier.

I have been flying direct with Thai now for many a year. However they have now stopped daily flights from Brisbane so we are now flying Singapore Airlines via there.

Sucks but have no choice for the day we want to fly.

2 hours ago, thegrogmonster said:

I have been flying direct with Thai now for many a year. However they have now stopped daily flights from Brisbane so we are now flying Singapore Airlines via there.

Sucks but have no choice for the day we want to fly.

Yeah I only do Direct Thai out of brisvegas... the axing of the late night flight out is a killer for me.... and the shittyness of the planes.

Next trip is booked Qantas via Sydney.....

On 11/4/2018 at 6:56 PM, Shaksey said:

Depends on how long i'm going for. Anything less than a week than it has to be direct.

1 -2 weeks then i'll go with a stop if the price is right and the stop isn't more than 2-3 hours max. Only via HK, KL, HEL, AMS though. Stopping in the ME is awful from LHR as it makes it two 6-7 hour flights which when you account for the take off, landing phases, food service etc means only about 4-5 hours when you can sleep on each flight. So if you sleep on the first flight then you're woken up too soon which messes up your sleep pattern, you have to then be awake and alert for 1-2 hours at least and it's really hard to then sleep again on the next flight. Staying awake on the first flight is better but then you'll still only get 4-5 hours sleep on the second leg. Going via HEL, AMS, HK or KL means one of the flights is at least 9-10 hours which is perfect to get a good sleep in.

More than 2 weeks then it's just whatever flight is the cheapest in Biz on a 1W carrier.

Don't mind doing the ME route in business but on the second leg into Bangkok I tell the FAs that I don't want disturbed until we are landing. I can get enough food and drink inside me in the lounges and on the first flight.

17 hours ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Don't mind doing the ME route in business but on the second leg into Bangkok I tell the FAs that I don't want disturbed until we are landing. I can get enough food and drink inside me in the lounges and on the first flight.

Yeah good tactic but I find that after a couple of hours being awake and alert in the airport bertween flights I just can't get a proper sleep again in no matter how good the flat seat. I think the overall increase in journey time doesn't help either. 

Before I was lucky enough to be able to fly biz/first on long hauls I used to find it unbelievable that people could get on in those classes and just go to sleep without having any of the food and booze etc. Nowadays I never eat or drink on a true night flight (e.g. BA28 and BA32 HKG to LHR or any  of the sleeper flights from JFK back to LHR) and my only request is an extra bottle of water. I was on BA296 ORD-LHR sleeper in A380 last month, had the best seat in upper deck Biz (53K, the A380 equivalent of 64A/K on 747 UD) and they decided to spend 2 hours plus serving food and drinks before turning the lights off which left about 4 hours before they turned the lights on again and started serving breakfast which was annoying as fook. When BA used to have the mighty 747 on the LHR/BKK route leaving BKK at around midnight then 64A/K was always the best sleeping experience I have ever had on an aircraft.

5 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Yeah good tactic but I find that after a couple of hours being awake and alert in the airport bertween flights I just can't get a proper sleep again in no matter how good the flat seat. I think the overall increase in journey time doesn't help either. 

Before I was lucky enough to be able to fly biz/first on long hauls I used to find it unbelievable that people could get on in those classes and just go to sleep without having any of the food and booze etc. Nowadays I never eat or drink on a true night flight (e.g. BA28 and BA32 HKG to LHR or any  of the sleeper flights from JFK back to LHR) and my only request is an extra bottle of water. I was on BA296 ORD-LHR sleeper in A380 last month, had the best seat in upper deck Biz (53K, the A380 equivalent of 64A/K on 747 UD) and they decided to spend 2 hours plus serving food and drinks before turning the lights off which left about 4 hours before they turned the lights on again and started serving breakfast which was annoying as fook. When BA used to have the mighty 747 on the LHR/BKK route leaving BKK at around midnight then 64A/K was always the best sleeping experience I have ever had on an aircraft.

Flying back after the new year via  Hong Kong on the A380 and will try out that seat...

A063D48A-4246-41B0-AAF0-E4B10A43B650.png

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Thinkingallowed said:

Flying back after the new year via  Hong Kong on the A380 and will try out that seat...

A063D48A-4246-41B0-AAF0-E4B10A43B650.png

Good grab if you only just choose that! There isn't quite as much room as in 64K on the 747 UD (still find it amusing that seat has more overall room than any of the seats in First down below) but it's the only CW window seat on the plane that has direct aisle access and nothing but a bulkhead in front of you. Three windows and three storage bins under the windows too 🙂

I was nearly going to be on that flight too as I love the Cathay F lounges at HKG but I got a good deal with Finnair on their late night flight out of BKK on the 1st instead.

Edited by Shaksey
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Shaksey said:

Good grab if you only just choose that! There isn't quite as much room as in 64K on the 747 UD (still find it amusing that seat has more overall room than any of the seats in First down below) but it's the only CW window seat on the plane that has direct aisle access and nothing but a bulkhead in front of you. Three windows and three storage bins under the windows too 🙂

I was nearly going to be on that flight too as I love the Cathay F lounges at HKG but I got a good deal with Finnair on their late night flight out of BKK on the 1st instead.

Chose that seat immediately I'd booked the flights. 16A on the 777 on the way out.