How do you activate your account.. ?

Before you can login, you must active your account by clicking on the link sent to your email address.

If you did not receive this email, please check your junk/spam folder. If you entered an incorrect email address, you will need to re-register with the correct email address.

If you are waiting to activate your account you can resent the activation e-mail or change your e-mail address.

Sign in to follow this  
RR007

New Visa system for tourist visas up and running

Its not pretty to say the least..... From 15th June online applications where you submit salary slips flights details and hotel accomodation comes first. You then submit your passport and an appointment is made for you to collect it.....One of the lads very experienced has just come up against this who lives in Staffordshire. I live in Cornwall 240 miles away.  He rang them back not surprisingly totally perplexed so am repeating very 1st hand knowledge as they had sent back to him his rejected passport (he'd sent under the old system) and told him to reapply lol

Someone has clearly not thought this through whatsoever. Border runs instead wont work because you'll not get past check in if you're ticketed for longer than 30 days in the first place

Will upload the cover note that came back with his rejected application on following post

• Like 1

Theres a problem at the moment with FB where the messenger uploads of photographs are not showing. Thought it was just me but my lads just said the same. Will upload when I can later

HR Dept in Thailand tried to do online application for my Non-B visa...I was due to fly out yesterday but couldn't because the online application failed.

Today Iam printing a mountain of paperwork and driving to the Consulate to lodge the application  in person.

4 hours ago, RR007 said:

Its not pretty to say the least..... From 15th June online applications where you submit salary slips flights details and hotel accomodation comes first. You then submit your passport and an appointment is made for you to collect it.....One of the lads very experienced has just come up against this who lives in Staffordshire. I live in Cornwall 240 miles away.  He rang them back not surprisingly totally perplexed so am repeating very 1st hand knowledge as they had sent back to him his rejected passport (he'd sent under the old system) and told him to reapply lol

Someone has clearly not thought this through whatsoever. Border runs instead wont work because you'll not get past check in if you're ticketed for longer than 30 days in the first place

Will upload the cover note that came back with his rejected application on following post

You can mail required docs in with passport and form after doing the online bit and get passport sent back in the mail.

OP, when did the friend apply under the old system. IIRC it stated that applications received after June 14 would be returned.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, KWA said:

You can mail required docs in with passport and form after doing the online bit and get passport sent back in the mail.

Nope....the attached is VERY clear. This was enclosed on his rejected application. By the way they took 10 quid for the rejection lol out of the £25 visa cost. Unreal....Obviously as per OP he asked about Passport being returned and was referred back to the enclosed note. Just farcical. Will have a look at that website later because I was going to apply for October trip next month well in advance make sure there isnt a proviso for postal returns albeit that screenshot seems pretty conclusive

evisa.jpg

Edited by RR007

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, bob lt said:

OP, when did the friend apply under the old system. IIRC it stated that applications received after June 14 would be returned.

Yes in his case he did apply after the 14th so thats why the actual application was sent back per se.  He's got problems now because of short time scale till next Tuesday... His ticket is 2 months so needs the SETV or will be offloaded at check in anyway

Edited by RR007

Posted (edited)

In my opinion this is just another deliberate decision to make life tougher and tougher for longer term visitors. They dont need or want anymore tin pot foreigners staying longer term and if they could wipe Pattaya off the face of the map they sure as hell would.... Less than 30 days enjoy your holiday spend your money but for the rest get out.....I was following a thread in one of the Issan forums yesterdays over this TM reporting when you visit and stay with Girls parents etc etc.

Just farcical people being fined

Edited by RR007

28 minutes ago, RR007 said:

In my opinion this is just another deliberate decision to make life tougher and tougher for longer term visitors. They dont need or want anymore tin pot foreigners staying longer term and if they could wipe Pattaya off the face of the map they sure as hell would.... Less than 30 days enjoy your holiday spend your money but for the rest get out.....I was following a thread in one of the Issan forums yesterdays over this TM reporting when you visit and stay with Girls parents etc etc.

Just farcical people being fined

Yup....just went to the Ottawa Thai Embassy  website, saw there were more restrictions than I remember years ago. Single entry used to be $35 CAD per entry, now it just says $50- single, $250- multiple! I was lucky enough to get a triple back in 2009, we are down to 5 embassies for all of Canada, and I remember most only did a double entry. How can you be charged 5 times the fee for double the entries? 

Im no expert on visa matters and I’m still 7 years away from turning 50, but this first look at my own nation’s Thai embassy fees show that they are indeed making things tougher for the long stay tourist 

• Thumbs Up 1

Had a great experience with the Brisbane consulate today.

From parking my car to lodging  my application and  back in the car it was 6 minutes in total.

Told to come back tomorrow at 9.30am to collect passport.

@RR007  I appreciate it would be a long drive from the South but no appointment personal collection is still available at the Consulate at Hull; usually in and out within less than 30 minutes.  If I dare use the term, please bear it in mind as a backstop.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, john luke said:

@RR007  I appreciate it would be a long drive from the South but no appointment personal collection is still available at the Consulate at Hull; usually in and out within less than 30 minutes.  If I dare use the term, please bear it in mind as a backstop.

JL obviously this has only been up and running a couple weeks. I had not noticed any threads on Thaivisa over this particular issue  as yet so am surmising that all will become clear over the next few weeks......Geoff my friend from the OP always messages or calls me each week anyway so will update the thread if indeed (as hes been told verbally) he has to make an appointment at the London Embassy and drive down from Staffordshire

Edited by RR007

3 hours ago, RR007 said:

JL obviously this has only been up and running a couple weeks. I had not noticed any threads on Thaivisa over this particular issue  as yet so am surmising that all will become clear over the next few weeks......Geoff my friend from the OP always messages or calls me each week anyway so will update the thread if indeed (as hes been told verbally) he has to make an appointment at the London Embassy and drive down from Staffordshire

I thought that the London Embassy was no longer issuing Visa's and it all had to be done on line in future.

Initial contact to London is by online application followed up by personal visit OR by post

6 hours ago, RR007 said:

Yes in his case he did apply after the 14th so thats why the actual application was sent back per se.  He's got problems now because of short time scale till next Tuesday... His ticket is 2 months so needs the SETV or will be offloaded at check in anyway

Cheap ticket to Cambodia, Vietnam etc for day 30 will cover that. Take a side trip or just rely on 30 day exempt + extension.

Someone mentioned Hull but there is a consulate in Cardiff that might be worth considering for a guy in Stafford. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RR007 said:

Nope....the attached is VERY clear. This was enclosed on his rejected application. By the way they took 10 quid for the rejection lol out of the £25 visa cost. Unreal....Obviously as per OP he asked about Passport being returned and was referred back to the enclosed note. Just farcical. Will have a look at that website later because I was going to apply for October trip next month well in advance make sure there isnt a proviso for postal returns albeit that screenshot seems pretty conclusive

There are a lot of gaps in his story.  Did he enclose £10 for return of documents as well as the visa fee, or a pre-paid envelope?  The visa cost went from £25 to £30 in April this year (assuming SETV).  The new system does not request salary slips or hotel accommodation, it asks for flight ticket and evidence of funds (20K THB for an individual) see screenshot below.

Thaivisa forum has lots on this, including the text of an email from the Thai Embassy confirming you can send £10 to have your documents returned.  It's early days but I think we'd have heard something in the 3 weeks since it started if it wasn't working right.

As an aside if he struggles to get something sorted before he travels, I chatted to check in staff last time I travelled and if they read everything on their system, it should say at the bottom something along the lines of " Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers."  My check in operator admitted she'd never read that far before but said she would allow someone without a visa to travel based on that.  No guarantee, but this may get him on the plane if he has no backup.

Capture.JPG

Edited by KWA

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bob lt said:

Cheap ticket to Cambodia, Vietnam etc for day 30 will cover that. Take a side trip or just rely on 30 day exempt + extension.

Someone mentioned Hull but there is a consulate in Cardiff that might be worth considering for a guy in Stafford. 

No you'll be offloaded at check in if your ticket is longer than 30 days but there is an option to buy a one way refundable ticket out which will satisfy check in and then either extend at Jomtien or do that visa run yes

Edited by RR007

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KWA said:

There are a lot of gaps in his story.  Did he enclose £10 for return of documents as well as the visa fee, or a pre-paid envelope?  The visa cost went from £25 to £30 in April this year (assuming SETV).  The new system does not request salary slips or hotel accommodation, it asks for flight ticket and evidence of funds (20K THB for an individual) see screenshot below.

Thaivisa forum has lots on this, including the text of an email from the Thai Embassy confirming you can send £10 to have your documents returned.  It's early days but I think we'd have heard something in the 3 weeks since it started if it wasn't working right.

As an aside if he struggles to get something sorted before he travels, I chatted to check in staff last time I travelled and if they read everything on their system, it should say at the bottom something along the lines of " Extension of stay is possible for visa exempt passengers."  My check in operator admitted she'd never read that far before but said she would allow someone without a visa to travel based on that.  No guarantee, but this may get him on the plane if he has no backup.

Capture.JPG

Am only telling you Geoffs experience. That fella has more trips than me to Thailand which makes him more than 169 and he's probably close to 200.... In short he sent not realising the system had changed his £25 SAE Special delivery back to himself, the completed printed application form (still on website) plus his passport

In short they sent it all back ( fair enough the process had changed) and deducted £10 for admin. In it they enclosed the screenshot I put up earlier in the thread. He naturally rang them back was told to upload online flight details, accomodation and salary documents (these must exceed £1500 net per month) and then make an appointment at the embassy. (the print out says just that as well)

However I very little doubt that anyone of us will get a different experience.

Edited by RR007

This is the current instructions from the Thai Embassy in London. You can clearly apply for a visa in person or via post.

tourist visa.JPG

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RR007 said:

evisa.jpg

That note is out of date, their original instructions on the web site said exactly the same as that note, they have realised their error and updated the website. Obviously they are not going to reprint the notes near the date of expiry.

17 hours ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Had a great experience with the Brisbane consulate today.

From parking my car to lodging  my application and  back in the car it was 6 minutes in total.

Told to come back tomorrow at 9.30am to collect passport.

I find the Thai consulate now located in Brisbane CBD a pleasure to deal with. Nice friendly staff that check everything is correct and then give you a time to come back to collect your passport with the new visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have fond memories of the previous consul and his wife. I lived over 100 km from the office and for many years I would pick up my non immigrant visa on the way to the airport. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, biggles said:

I have fond memories of the previous consul and his wife. I lived over 100 km from the office and for many years I would pick up my non immigrant visa on the way to the airport. 

Brisbane ?

My 1st non B I met Bill for lunch and beers and he brought his stamps !!

• Haha 1

The new evisa system being discussed is eventually to be rolled out worldwide from what I've read.  It was initially launched in China, then France and the UK added last month.  Consulates will be removed from the equation altogether.

18 minutes ago, KWA said:

The new evisa system being discussed is eventually to be rolled out worldwide from what I've read.  It was initially launched in China, then France and the UK added last month.  Consulates will be removed from the equation altogether.

How long till they remove the need for a visa stamp in the passport do you reckon and how would it be integrated with airlines ?

Sign in to follow this