Pumpuynarak

Whats the going rate for BIB speeding donations now ? ?

Well for the first time in what must be 3/4 years i got pulled over at a check point and told i was speeding over the mountain on me way between Korat and Pattaya. I thought ahh well i'll just pay the usual 200bht and be done, no chance he wanted 400bht !!! As per usual no evidence so i said just give me a ticket and i'll pay it when i get back to Korat, no can do he says you'll have to go to the local police station and pay.

Discretion being the better part of valor i paid up reluctantly and we were on our way. Is 400bht the going rate these days ? I have to say this is the first time i've been requested to pay the imaginary speeding ticket in almost 3/4 years as since the army have been in control and have been present at these checkpoints requests have been non-existent.

So a return to democracy means a return of imaginary fines and at an increased level lol

Happy to be corrected but I thought the official fine was Bt.400 for over the speed by 15km/h or less, maybe thats were the policeman got the number from.

As for speeding out of province, much better to pay "on the spot" or risk haviing to travel back to the policemans station the next day to pay fine and collect licence but thats all set to change when the new systems is implemented.

My last 'unofficial' fine was 400 baht and probably close to where you were stopped. On the descent from Khao Yai and passed the tunnel (not there when I got stopped) I got pulled over for a handout.

Having a dash cam is a deterrent for this type of abuse.

The thai wives son and his mates got pulled last night in China Town, BKK. Not for speeding but for a parking offence. Looks like its a bit more expensive here. 500 baht. 

Got stopped and fined 500bht last week in Hua Hin for not having my IdP on me, my own stupid fault I had left it in my loom.

About 4 years ago I got stopped just after a toll booth on the way out of BKK en route to Korat.

I was given the choice of 1000b or 500b & a trip to the station.I paid the 1000.

Its not a comment regarding speeding however BM may wish to know that the word on the street is the BIB are now giving fines to  motorists who have back seat passengers who are not using  seat belts.

JDM

I’ve always believed the “fine” is the exact amount the cop thinks he can get out of you, for not taking you to his local station. 

Driving back from Mae Sot to Pattaya is something I do quite regularly. It always involves up to 5 or 6 Army and Police check points and normally both are exceptionally polite, love to practice their English and send me on my way with a smile and often a salute. Only one exception and that was several years ago when I was "fined" 400 baht on the spot for speeding at a Police checkpoint.

I was moaning like made after I paid and set off again when Sai said

"But you WERE speeding!"

"Yeah, but they did not KNOW that!"  😛

Different story in Pattaya - several instant "fines" over the years.

My most recent donation "fine"  was going  back to Bangsaray on the Sukhumvit.

I had stopped at the traffic lights  short of the Ocean Marina/Ambassador Hotel. Adjacent is a Police sub office and one of the BiB started blowing his whlstle at me so I had to ride off the carriageway. He took my driving licence and then told me I had stopped past the stop line. I said it is hard to tell where the stop line is and there are 10 other motor bikes, a mini bus and two cars over where you say the stop line is so why me?

He just smiled and walked into his "office" holding my licence. When I followed him in he sat down with his back to me and held up my licence. "You go to Soi 9 or pay 200 baht fine now."

So 200 baht it was.