Aqualung

First time visit to the job centre after 39 years

7 hours ago, Aqualung said:

I decided to pack work in earlier this year as I could access a pension of mine. Did this mainly to take a break from working most of my adult life and spend some time with the teerak. (3 Months) 

So I've returned home from Sweden and Thailand and I'm bored stiff already so I thought I would call into the jobcentre to see what work was available even though I don't need to work for a month or 3 more. 

f**k me! First time in nearly 40 years in a job centre and I was greeted by a feckin security guard. What's all that about? 

Anyways, long story short. Given a peice of paper with a list of websites for looking for work and a phone number for claiming "new style jobseekers" allowance! 

I have an interview with a job coach next week. Should be fun. Can't help feeling that even after working uninterrupted for the best part of 40 years I will get turned down for the allowance. 

Not that I'm bothered right now... Just interested to know what will happen. 

It's all universal credit now and you need to have a very good reason for not working.  If you are caring for an elderly relative and need to be around that person you may get help but you will be asked to apply online, it is not done face to face except after applying and then you have to sign up to umpteen commitments to show you are looking for work.

Same with actually finding a job, very few job agencies on the street now, most companies use people like 'Indeed' and there is no personal assessment, you are just an anonymous digit on their books.

I'm interested in how this turns out.  I'm not looking for work and pretty sure they won't give me any money, but if there's any spin off benefits just for signing on that I could make use of it might be worth my while.

Odd part time or temporary work might be OK, but would they help with that?

• Like 1

My employer's family owned company was sold a year ago to a big Australian company.Was sold for £700m so its a pretty big company.The new owners instigated a policy of laying off a load of staff and replacing some of  them with outside contractors,and any staff that have left taking voluntary redundancy have been replaced by temps.

Seems this a lot more common these days as they don't have to pay temps sick pay,holiday pay,pension contributions etc.,and can f**k them off when they like.

The goverment harps on about the lowest ever unemployment rate ever,but millions are on zero hour contracts not knowing if they will be needed or not.

The old days of getting dole money easily are gone for new claimants,unless you are a 'refugee' it seems.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, galenkia said:

Seems this a lot more common these days as they don't have to pay temps sick pay,holiday pay,pension contributions etc.,and can f**k them off when they like.

The goverment harps on about the lowest ever unemployment rate ever,but millions are on zero hour contracts not knowing if they will be needed or not.

I know I'm the minority, but deals like that would suit me, as I could also f**k them off when I like.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, KWA said:

I know I'm the minority, but deals like that would suit me, as I could also f**k them off when I like.

And that's what causes us problems,we don't know who is gonna turn up each day or just quit and go somewhere else.We have all told the manager you can't run a company on temps,but they know better.🙄

You only get loyalty and reliability (mostly) from full time staff.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, galenkia said:

You only get loyalty and reliability (mostly) from full time staff.

Loyalty is a two way street, disloyalty is a double edged blade.

Edited by Freee!!
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

On that UC if you apply for the equivalent of job seekers allowance you will get it but you are "obliged" to do 40 hours a week of "activity" and prove that you've applied for jobs visited agencies etc. My slightly younger brother was on it for 2 months and he jacked it in in April. If you say you have mobility problems and some health issues you only have to do 20 hours a week

Edited by RR007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KWA said:

Zero hours contracts sound feasible until you are on one.  I did a zero hours contract 2 years back and when called upon it seemed fine but when 2 weeks would go by without a murmur of a shift offer it certainly lived up to it's name.  Very few people can work like that unless they are just looking for pocket money. The employer holds all the cards.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Horizondave said:

Very few people can work like that unless they are just looking for pocket money.

That's exactly what I'd be looking for but would the jobcentre be any use to me?  And is there any other reason to speak to them?

1 hour ago, KWA said:

That's exactly what I'd be looking for but would the jobcentre be any use to me?  And is there any other reason to speak to them?

They are likely to direct you to a computer in their offices to use or suggest companies (based on your preferences) to explore from the comfort of your home.

Most companies now advertise via agencies online that may or may not direct you to a company website for application.

If my company offers any redundancies in the future I think I will take one. I would hope I have enough contacts (haven't pissed them all off) to be given a bit of work to keep me going. I have been asked a few times to leave and come work some companies I have dealt with through work so hope an offer would pop up.

Not sure I would like to have to deal with a job centre but would probably end up doing so just to pick up the job start allowance if I was eligible. Paid enough tax over the years so no issues getting some back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Horizondave said:

It's all universal credit now and you need to have a very good reason for not working.  If you are caring for an elderly relative and need to be around that person you may get help but you will be asked to apply online, it is not done face to face except after applying and then you have to sign up to umpteen commitments to show you are looking for work.

Same with actually finding a job, very few job agencies on the street now, most companies use people like 'Indeed' and there is no personal assessment, you are just an anonymous digit on their books.

Sorry Dave but when I sat down with an advisor, Universal credit wasn't even mentioned. I was told I was /maybe eligible for "new style" jobseekers allowance only. 

As for the "indeed" website, it looks a bit of a mess to me with many jobs appearing more than once. 

I phoned the number given to me regarding the benefit claim and was on the line about 20 minutes answering many questions about the application. Online wasn't an option given to me. 

12 hours ago, KWA said:

I'm interested in how this turns out.  I'm not looking for work and pretty sure they won't give me any money, but if there's any spin off benefits just for signing on that I could make use of it might be worth my while.

Odd part time or temporary work might be OK, but would they help with that?

One of the questions asked to me during the telephone application was "what was the reason for you finishing your last employment?" 

Bearing in mind that I had read in the past that if you voluntarily give up your job you would have to wait 26 weeks before submitting an application for benefits. 

I was honest in telling the advisor that I had had enough of working for my company, things wernt looking to good for the future there so I decided to look elsewhere for a job. Her answer to me was, and I quote "so it was a mutual agreement then I think" I just agreed as it seemed she was encouraging me not to just say I packed in work for the sake of it. Surprised by that tbh. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KWA said:

Just walk in for a chat like I did. Act a bit numb if you like and let them tell you if your entitled to anything. 

The new style jobseekers allowance is not means tested and is payable for 6 months apparently. Don't know your marital status so probably best for me to say nothing more. 

5 hours ago, Aqualung said:

Sorry Dave but when I sat down with an advisor, Universal credit wasn't even mentioned. I was told I was /maybe eligible for "new style" jobseekers allowance only.

Yes Universal Credit is only rolled out across certain parts of the country. Wont be for everyone until 2023. Gradually being introduiced into more areas each month you're obviously in an area where its not gone live yet

Last time I stepped into one of those places was 45 years ago, to look for what jobs were about. Nothing on the job cards in the racks (no computers back then) took my eye. Went to the pub and met a friend who told me about a company he thought I may like to work for, so I applied for an interview and got the job two weeks later. Turned out it was a multi national conglomerate with companies of all sorts around the World. Worked for them in different companies, until I retired around 1999 and loved every minute of working for them.

Never once in my working life have I ever had to ask for dole money or any other benefits from the government and neither I nor my wife claim anything, with the exception of Child Benefit, which they insist we have to claim! 

Things have changed now I understand and these “Job Centre officers” can sanction people for all manner of minor infringements and stop their benefits for months on end. As for Universal Credit, I just can’t understand how that works and I’ve read so many horror stories about it, but that’s for another thread.

God help the young now, gone are the days when you could walk out of one job and walk straight into another, better paid one.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aqualung said:

As for the "indeed" website, it looks a bit of a mess to me with many jobs appearing more than once. 

I phoned the number given to me regarding the benefit claim and was on the line about 20 minutes answering many questions about the application. Online wasn't an option given to me. 

I suppose 2 things really, job-seekers is help in finding a job, UC is about support when out of a job with little money so any help is a given. The reason I suggested UC originally was that I believed you to be in a position where you are caring for someone when here and therefore unable to work, UV is set up for that support but they do ask about your previous history so if not in the country for long that could be a negative.

I am on UV for about the 3 months that I am out of work, I only get SSP (statutory sick pay) and I just thought I would ask about UV, they couldn't have been more helpful and told me how much I should get. Have to say though they are probably giving it to me as Kataleya was with me and playing with all the staff.  Children are very important now and are the ones they want (need) to support.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:08 PM, galenkia said:

My employer's family owned company was sold a year ago to a big Australian company.Was sold for £700m so its a pretty big company.The new owners instigated a policy of laying off a load of staff and replacing some of  them with outside contractors,and any staff that have left taking voluntary redundancy have been replaced by temps.

The old days of getting dole money easily are gone for new claimants,unless you are a 'refugee' it seems.

Getting more and more common for big companies to want to reduce or keep low their FTE count for various reasons so utilising temps/contractors becomes more common.

The change in the interpretation and handling of IR35 next April is going to be very interesting!

On 6/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, KhunDon said:

Never once in my working life have I ever had to ask for dole money or any other benefits from the government and neither I nor my wife claim anything, with the exception of Child Benefit, which they insist we have to claim! 

Things have changed now I understand and these “Job Centre officers” can sanction people for all manner of minor infringements and stop their benefits for months on end. As for Universal Credit, I just can’t understand how that works and I’ve read so many horror stories about it, but that’s for another thread.

God help the young now, gone are the days when you could walk out of one job and walk straight into another, better paid one.

I was like you until at age 48 I found myself both redundant and a full time carer for my wife.

I used my redundancy payment to buy into an accountancy franchise and lived off of savings for a year or so. But I had to study as well and only signed on for a few weeks having decided I might as well get something back for all the years we both paid Tax and NI contributions. The last thing I wanted was a job interview but fat chance of that happening at my age.

So having signed on for about 4 weeks I said to the guy at the Job Center I cannot sign on next week as I have to go on a residential training course followed by a day of exams. The Job Center guy asks me a strange question

" What hours each day is the training?"

I told him I did not know but I would guess 9:00 to 5:00 or maybe 9:00 to 4:00 for 5 days.

"Ah " says jobsworth "More than 16 hours per week not available for job interviews - No benefit."

I explained to him and everyone else in the Job Center who was not totally deaf that the whole purpose of the training was so that I could set up my own business to take me off the unemployment register for ever!  I demanded to speak to his Supervisor but after he went to speak to presumably said Supervisor he came back and told me they had reconsidered and would pay the benefit.

I found going to the Job Center both embarrassing and depressing.

• Like 1
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jambo said:

I was like you until at age 48 I found myself both redundant and a full time carer for my wife.

I used my redundancy payment to buy into an accountancy franchise and lived off of savings for a year or so. But I had to study as well and only signed on for a few weeks having decided I might as well get something back for all the years we both paid Tax and NI contributions. The last thing I wanted was a job interview but fat chance of that happening at my age.

So having signed on for about 4 weeks I said to the guy at the Job Center I cannot sign on next week as I have to go on a residential training course followed by a day of exams. The Job Center guy asks me a strange question

" What hours each day is the training?"

I told him I did not know but I would guess 9:00 to 5:00 or maybe 9:00 to 4:00 for 5 days.

"Ah " says jobsworth "More than 16 hours per week not available for job interviews - No benefit."

I explained to him and everyone else in the Job Center who was not totally deaf that the whole purpose of the training was so that I could set up my own business to take me off the unemployment register for ever!  I demanded to speak to his Supervisor but after he went to speak to presumably said Supervisor he came back and told me they had reconsidered and would pay the benefit.

I found going to the Job Center both embarrassing and depressing.

I think that you will find that that measure was introduced around 1960 s to prevent University students and those in full time education claiming Unemployment Benefit. If I am not mistaken the NUS (National Union of Students) were advising students to sign on and claim benefits, certainly during the holiday periods and in certain instances all the time.

• Like 3

The whole idea of benefits was really to help people get back to work or to assist their living expenses for short durations.  Of course today it is a lifestyle choice for many freeloaders and people who believe a work ethic is for others.

I have had benefits and appreciate them especially after paying in my stamp for 33 years but I will return to work for no more than two years until all my pensions have kicked in (pensions that I have created from my own purse).

• Like 6

In 1992 I got sacked from Oman & after a couple of months bumming around Pattaya came back to the UK with the missus in tow.

I went to the job centre & was told that because I'd been living abroad I didn't qualify for any dole payments.

But I'd been working for a British company and had paid both the first year full NI & subsequent years class III contributions.

Took a lot of arguing and quite a while but I eventually got a back payment of over £1600.

Which was much better in my pocket than theirs.

• Like 1

Steve,

Have you tried "Linkedin" yet?  Just for giggles a few months ago, I did. Got quite a few enquiries, Tech Marketing Jobs here.....not looking to work, 35 years was enough for me,  but was surprised at how many people are on this.