My C-19 Journey. I got it. Big deal?? Up to you.

Butch

12 hours ago, Smiler said:

I know a few guys who worked for Airwork in Oman - BIg Rich, Pete, Mark, Niel etc

When I went to Oman in 1983 Airwork had 2000+ expats working there.

Edited by coxyhog
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Butch said:

I didn't go to the Clubs, the only places I would go to were with Dad, sometimes to the RFO clubhouse  or SAF Beach Club  but I only went there (RFO club) a couple of times so don't remember it too well. I left school in 87 then ..ahem...got "offered" a job out there which involved an inordinate amount of paperwork, mostly vetting guys from UK wanting to work in the Forces plus some other equally tedious stuff.

MAM was great, it had an awesome pool but the shade was a bit lacking!. I've got a funny yarn from when I was there at the age of 8 years old involving MAM HQ and Eric Bennett who was CO of SOAF at the time.

I was given a crappy old toyota corolla that was previously owned by a tramp to do the awe inspiring trip from Diwan Palace offices Muscat to MAM 2 or 3 times a day.

I can remember a couple of Airworks guys from when the  Muscat Naval base was a SON base before they moved up the coast and it transferred to the RYS. Some of them were accommodated in Muscat iirc. It seemed to be a pretty lucrative job for them back then. I know my Dad went from 3k pa in the private sector UK to 12K pa tax free in 1975, so he was pretty chuffed to say the least.

Airwork had a bit of a reputation for hard drinking - rumour has it that female nurses were warned before arrival to stay away from Airworkees.Of course that just made the good 'uns seek us out.We had a our own nightclub in the Concorde club and would get acts up from Dubai on a Friday(when they couldn't perform in Dubai).

PS Sorry for the TF guys.