Just a word of warning for those expats receiving frozen UK state pension.

Are you aware that the UK HMRC are for whatever reason assuming we are receiving the triple lock state pension increases and increasing our tax liability accordingly. This has been an ongoing problem for me and others for many years and i always look at my HMRC tax account and then inform them of their error.

It gets duly corrected but it takes them time and YOU have to initiate to receive the correction, be warned.......  

• Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

Are you aware that the UK HMRC are for whatever reason assuming we are receiving the triple lock state pension increases and increasing our tax liability accordingly. This has been an ongoing problem for me and others for many years and i always look at my HMRC tax account and then inform them of their error.

It gets duly corrected but it takes them time and YOU have to initiate to receive the correction, be warned.......  

When I log onto my Gateway account it lists my pensions and their worth then totals them to the taxable amounts...

At what stage should I check for increased tax liability ??

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

When I log onto my Gateway account it lists my pensions and their worth then totals them to the taxable amounts...

At what stage should I check for increased tax liability ??

Have a lookie at your State Pension weekly amount after 6th April each year, its quoted along with any company pensions you may have. You will note the amount is increasing each year in line with the triple lock increase which you are not receiving.

The only way to get this corrected is to contact HMRC.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Oddly enough it is only listing my private pensions .... Perhaps it will show it once they have completed the calculation. Probably next month ..

Thats strange, mine has been showing since they announced the % increase on the triple lock.

43 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Aaaah.. My pension didn't start until after the triple lock started so didn't qualify any way ...

You old bastard ...!!

Just remember ''your only as old as the lady you feel''...................

and wifey is 42 :default_party-smiley-048:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Aaaah.. My pension didn't start until after the triple lock started so didn't qualify any way ...

You old bastard ...!!

When did you start drawing the state pension ? if you are in receipt of it you need to check that they are not imposing the TL increases, my pissey ass weekly benefit is £124 per week and they have me down as receiving £134 and are taxing me accordingly.

I have raised a query online with them and am awaiting a reply, sure enough they will check eventually and adjust to reflect the true figure. I have had to do this for the last few years and i'm not alone many expat farangs are having the same problem.

You need to check.

26 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

When did you start drawing the state pension ?

2 years ago I guess ...I will be 68 in December .. I get confused ..

During one of my wine testing sessions Keyman from PT reckoned at the time that I was outside the bracket ... or may be it was @bob lt... I forget

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

2 years ago I guess ...I will be 68 in December .. I get confused ..

So your state pension will be showing on your HMRC account, check that it is the correct amount for the current tax year, also check previous years. When i cottoned on to what was happening i initially got a refund of over £350 but since i now check every year i just get the amount adjusted to the correct figure.

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

So your state pension will be showing on your HMRC account,

It's not there mate..

You showed me your pension then below that the government pension..

mine is

Aviva

Nokia

MOD

Then nothing ..

Same same all previous years .. I always get a tax refund though ..

Perhaps it is because I am in a lower tax bracket than you .. (Mine is about one quarter of yours !!!!)

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Surprised 1

12 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It's not there mate..

You showed me your pension then below that the government pension..

mine is

Aviva

Nokia

MOD

Then nothing ..

Same same all previous years .. I always get a tax refund though ..

Perhaps it is because I am in a lower tax bracket than you .. (Mine is about one quarter of yours !!!!)

I am surprised they are not showing your state pension as it forms part of your income, so how are you able to check that you are not being overcharged tax cos your state pension is increasing each year by the triple lock increases that in truth you are not receiving.

Same same all previous years .. I always get a tax refund though ..           THE MIND BOGGLES lol

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pumpuynarak said:

The only way to get this corrected is to contact HMRC.

Can't we contact DWP instead and ask them to give us the indexation since HMRC are charging us tax on it? lol

38 minutes ago, Toy Boy said:

Can't we contact DWP instead and ask them to give us the indexation since HMRC are charging us tax on it? lol

I WISH LOL, When contacting the DWP they just tell you to contact HMRC :default_ermm:

• Sad 1

Not relevant to me but I passed to an expat mate who said this :- 

Yes after my first year on the state I had to inform them, tell you about it when we next chat

• Thumbs Up 1