• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
KWA

Router or Mobile hot spot

I'll be over in Pattaya in a couple of weeks and looking for advice on connecting my laptop to the Internet.  With previous bookings elsewhere, I've always had internet thrown in with my booking and just got a months worth on my phone for 199 baht for when out and about, which means I'm unsure of what's the best way to go about this time.

The apartment I'm renting requires 1,000 baht to get an internet line installed and 750 baht a month ongoing charge and I suppose the other alternative is to use my mobile with 12Call sim as a hotspot.  Presumably I'd need a better package than the 199 baht one and I see them available for up to 1,799 baht/month?

Ignoring price, what are the pros and cons of each approach and what level of package should I go for?  I may bring a Minix box, although apart from that I would say other usage would be frequent but light browsing.

I buy the phone package for about the price you mention, then tether the tablet to it as and when needed. Just means you can use it anywhere, well, anywhere you have your phone, which is pretty much everywhere for me anyway. 

I also find it much better signal than plenty of hotel free wifi, though obviously don't know what the internet line signal would be like where you are going to stay.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Krapow said:

I buy the phone package for about the price you mention, then tether the tablet to it as and when needed. Just means you can use it anywhere, well, anywhere you have your phone, which is pretty much everywhere for me anyway. 

I also find it much better signal than plenty of hotel free wifi, though obviously don't know what the internet line signal would be like where you are going to stay.

Cheers.  The internet line should be good as I've mates there who stream TV/movies and download lots of stuff with no real complaints.

1 minute ago, KWA said:

Cheers.  The internet line should be good as I've mates there who stream TV/movies and download lots of stuff with no real complaints.

The 1799 would be the most expensive package as well I'd say, think the most I've paid for a month unlimited and fast is about 1300 at Swampy, though could have went up. That was with dtac. 

whenever we travel I use the hotspot from my phone.  otherwise you will find every dick and his dog is draining wifi to watch movies and youtube.. so slug speed.  easy to use.  just get a sim with an internet package too.  I use similar to 1 2 go.  internet is strong in most places round the LOS even the remote areas

6 hours ago, tommy dee said:

whenever we travel I use the hotspot from my phone.  otherwise you will find every dick and his dog is draining wifi to watch movies and youtube.. so slug speed.  easy to use.  just get a sim with an internet package too.  I use similar to 1 2 go.  internet is strong in most places round the LOS even the remote areas

I think the problem is knowing which package to get - i.e. knowing how much data you are going to use in a month.

54 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I think the problem is knowing which package to get - i.e. knowing how much data you are going to use in a month.

probably yes.  i have unlimited.. it says 

12 hours ago, tommy dee said:

. . . .  otherwise you will find every dick and his dog is draining wifi to watch movies and youtube.. so slug speed.  easy to use.  just get a sim with an internet package too.

Most places will have software controlling the system so bandwidth is shared fairly between users.  I've never had any issues at hotels or apartments in Pattaya anyway.

My issue from the OP is now solved as I've just had a message that the owners have had the internet put in and I'll only have to pay the monthly charge.  Result.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2019 at 8:49 AM, Bazle said:

Truemove have quite a few where the data is unlimited but speed throttled. I use one at 199 a month plus vat. I've found that despite supposedly being throttled it still plays youtube. Ive been using the same short code for around 5 years if anyone wants it I will dig it out