Sign in to follow this  
RR007

Finger printing up and running

I see the Thais have actually finally got this up and running at Suvanabhunbi and Don Muaeng.....wonder if the database will link into worldwide Police records to identify those with records no matter how long ago. If it does I may have an issue lol

• Sad 1

I'm reading that very long queues are expected at Swampy because each person is taking about 3 minutes to process.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Bazle said:

I'm reading that very long queues are expected at Swampy because each person is taking about 3 minutes to process.

When i went through the system at Phuket airport in April I took no longer than normal, the IO was looking at my passport etc whilst I was sticking my fingers on the machine as it was telling you (automatically) what to do.

I do agree though I understood exactly what to do and there was no delay, some nationalities and people not familiar with new technology may hold up the line though.

That gives a whole new meaning to giving the machine the finger 😉

42 minutes ago, Bazle said:

It's looking like I shall have to pay these people:

https://www.limousine.in.th/fasttrack.php

With a combination of Gold frequent flyer and premium economy I would have thought you would have got a fast track card and lounge access at check in at Bangkok.

29 minutes ago, john luke said:

With a combination of Gold frequent flyer and premium economy I would have thought you would have got a fast track card and lounge access at check in at Bangkok.

Lounge access, yes.

Fast track, no. 😥

Kidnap a child, fast track all the way, well done Thailand. Some, but not the UK airports do similar. 

1 hour ago, Freee!! said:

That gives a whole new meaning to giving the machine the finger 😉

I have been giving the system the finger all my life.

• Haha 2

The only system that I've used was in Malaysia.No entry forms to fill in, both thumbs on pads, passport stamped and out in about 1 minute.

I asked the Immigration Officer why they had changed from the biometric system and she replied that the US government gives the biometric system for free but it all reports back to the US which the Malays didn't like.

• Great Info 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Bazle said:

I've read both experiences:

1.  It's done in parallel to the usual process while you're normally staring at the camera wondering if your pic has been taken yet, and

2.  It's slowing things down considerably.

Don't know what to believe until we get more info.  It's been in place since at least the 18th of last month, but not 100% in use.  Does this report mean that everyone is now using it all the time?

16 minutes ago, Sir_Fondles said:

Fantastic idea IMHO.

Keep the dodgy scumbags out.

That would require the dodgy scumbag's dabs already being on file in the dodgy scumbags database.

• Haha 1

Used in Kuwait and it doesn't cause any hold ups. 

Being a new system I'm sure it will take a wee while to get up and running smoothly. 

Think I even used it in and out of Majorca a couple of years back.

Not a bad idea.

2 hours ago, roomark said:

Think I even used it in and out of Majorca a couple of years back.

Not a bad idea.

Yea, they have it in Tenerife. 

14 minutes ago, Krapow said:

Yea, they have it in Tenerife. 

Also use the system in Japan, and for people with any kind of coloured skin, its used in Ukraine too!

I'm sure the average immigration officer is just thrilled as f**k to have to deal with that.

On 6/2/2019 at 2:47 PM, RR007 said:

I see the Thais have actually finally got this up and running at Suvanabhunbi and Don Muaeng.....wonder if the database will link into worldwide Police records to identify those with records no matter how long ago. If it does I may have an issue lol

Surely there is no point in it unless it is linked to a world wide date base?

41 minutes ago, Jambo said:

Makes sense, but the database being stored where ? Checking every fingerprint direct on line ? Time wise difficult.

Its more likely to check if the finger print matches with the one taken when issued your passport ? And stored somewhere in the biometric passport.

44 minutes ago, Jambo said:

I would entirely agree but reading yesterday since my OP elsewhere it appears it may not be quite so simple as that.

When my missus re-enters the UK, she has to show her passport, biometric permanent residence card, and also give her biometric fingerprint at the immigration booth. 

As I mentioned, the target is to make sure the person in front of the I.O. is really the person mentioned in the passport microchip.

This can be verified by facial recognition, iris scan or fingerprints.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/biometric-passportsepassports-benefits-patrick-mutabazi

Now, is there a "global" or "worldwide" database ?

In am pretty sure the U.S. have one, I seem to remember something about this information being systematically send to US immigration when you apply for a US visa at a US consulate.

Europe and other countries may have one containing all "wanted" or suspect people ? Maybe.

Sign in to follow this