Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
barsie

Swollen feet/ legs

Recommended Posts

I've had swollen feet and legs (quite bad) for over a week now. Anyone with any experience of this?

Tried the obvious- elevation, anti inflammatory soaking in water. It's not painful, not a reaction to any drugs or poison/infection.

Had friends have this too on occasion after being in Thailand for a while.

Anyone suggest anything and/or a place maybe to get it checked out? I don't want to end up in 1 of those doctors who sends you for 20 tests to then find it clears itself up on it's own a week later.

Another detail- is i've changed diet straight away- no alcohol, lots of water and eating healthy.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could be a symptom of something more serious. I wouldn't mess around with self-diagnosis, but instead get yourself to a Dr post haste.

Heart, liver, or kidney disease. Sometimes swelling can indicate a problem such as heart, liver, or kidney disease. Ankles that swell in the evening could be a sign of retaining salt and water because of right-sided heart failure. Kidney disease can also cause foot and ankle swelling. When kidneysare not functioning properly, fluid can build up in the body. Liver disease can affect the liver's production of a protein called albumin, which keeps the blood from leaking out of the blood vessels into the surrounding tissues. Inadequate albumin production can lead to fluid leakage. Gravity causes fluid to accumulate more in the feet and ankles, but fluid can also accumulate in the abdomen and chest. If your swelling is accompanied by other symptoms, including fatigue, loss of appetite, and weight gain, see your doctor right away. If you feel short of breath or have chest pain, pressure, or tightness, call 911.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/swollen-ankles-and-feet#1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be cellulitis - Dr Google will see you now sir.....

Mate don't piss about with your health in the tropics (assume that's where you are) get yourself off to an international hospital and get any condition that hangs around checked out by a proper Doctor.

Might be nothing and a total waste of money or you may find yourself writing a post similar to this in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, barsie said:

I've had swollen feet and legs (quite bad) for over a week now. Anyone with any experience of this?

Tried the obvious- elevation, anti inflammatory soaking in water. It's not painful, not a reaction to any drugs or poison/infection.

Had friends have this too on occasion after being in Thailand for a while.

Anyone suggest anything and/or a place maybe to get it checked out? I don't want to end up in 1 of those doctors who sends you for 20 tests to then find it clears itself up on it's own a week later.

Another detail- is i've changed diet straight away- no alcohol, lots of water and eating healthy.

Cheers

Yes ......... all the time. Almost certainly a reaction to the climate. You have stopped alcohol so ....

Have gout and boy do you know when you get an attack of that and no way cellulitis that can kill you.

The answer is : DrSock Compression Socks.https://socksoothers.com

Almost impossible to get on first time you try them but you feel amazing within 24 hours. I use the in UK and Thailand.

Company takes about 2 weeks to deliver ............... worked for me really quickly and boy do my feet swell up. :default_061:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I often have swelling in the feet and ankles only for the first few days when I arrive. Commonly known as Edema.

The body is retaing too much water in the tissue.i take a Diuretic, sometimes known as water tablets which brings down the swelling and makes me pee a bit more.Often caused by the change of temperature and dehydration. I take one Diuretica day and drink lots of water. There are a number of different types of diuretics available and as has been suggested it's worth visiting a doctor if it persists. I get my medication prescribed in UK before I travel, but have also bought them over the counter.

It starts with the Long haul flight for me. Walking is goodbut does not always work. I have heard from lots of people aboutlegand ankle swelling in Thailand and it's more common than we might think. Providing you do not have any major medical conditions and it only happens in Thailand, then a daily Diurectic tablet usually works. But,.............I am not a doctor and only speaking of personal experience

You may notice that your urine is much darker when you have swelling which is another sign of water retention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I would get checked out as swollen ankles, feet etc can be a sign of disease of vital organs including the heart. Maybe a trip to a good pharmacist to ask their opinion and if a tablet/drug would help ahead of other options.

Shouldn't be ignored though and you yourself will know if you have had these symptoms before, maybe it is usual for you but if not don't ignore it.

Hope it is just a temporary thing but don't be afraid to go to a good hospital if the condition persists.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I persistantly get swollen ankles (puffy) but only in Thailand. Its a combination for me 100% of booze and being on my feet for extensive periods

I got some water tablets from that Pharmacy beside Tims and now take one every three days. Works a treat take one in the morning before going pool and within an hour its stripping out excess water all over. When I dont drink  or stand or stay in hot climate it simply doesnt occur so am confident self diagnosis works (on this occasion)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you decide to go with compression stockings as mentioned by a few already buy them from Fascino Pharmacy, they will measure you legs to help you select to correct size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sir_Fondles said:

If you decide to go with compression stockings as mentioned by a few already buy them from Fascino Pharmacy, they will measure you legs to help you select to correct size.

Where is that please ??

The American (Made in China) ones I bought claim to be one size fits all but hard to put the bastards on ...takes a while. Great when they are on and love them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nampla69 said:

Where is that please ??

The American (Made in China) ones I bought claim to be one size fits all but hard to put the bastards on ...takes a while. Great when they are on and love them.

00001.png

00000.png

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RR007 said:

I persistantly get swollen ankles (puffy) but only in Thailand. Its a combination for me 100% of booze and being on my feet for extensive periods

I got some water tablets from that Pharmacy beside Tims and now take one every three days. Works a treat take one in the morning before going pool and within an hour its stripping out excess water all over. When I dont drink  or stand or stay in hot climate it simply doesnt occur so am confident self diagnosis works (on this occasion)

I hope you get out of the pool first 555

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bob lt said:

I hope you get out of the pool first 555

Yeah lol I do but over 4-5 hours you think where the hell is it all coming from 😂😂

For christs sake dont take one at 2am you'll be slashing to dawn.....

Edited by RR007
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had in once after a long haul flight to HK. Took my shoes off during the flight. Got to hotel and discovered my feet had swollen up like hell. Ever since always kept my shoes on tied up tight, socks of course. Never had a problem since.

 

If I had swollen feet for a week I'd go straight to the doctor. Something not right with that, for sure.

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to hit the pharmacy and speak to them get some water tablets.

Still active and feel fine- no fatigue etc so i'm not worried it's something big. I always think these things tend to be your body telling you to take it a bit more easy (less punishment and late night beers)

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, barsie said:

Going to hit the pharmacy and speak to them get some water tablets.

Still active and feel fine- no fatigue etc so i'm not worried it's something big. I always think these things tend to be your body telling you to take it a bit more easy (less punishment and late night beers)

Yes try what I suggested over water tabs.....any pharamcy will have them very cheap.  Take a day off the booze take the weight off your feet and I suspect 99% you'll be fine the next day. Just make sure a the carsie is nearby when you take them is my experience lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RR007 said:

Yes try what I suggested over water tabs.....any pharamcy will have them very cheap.  Take a day off the booze take the weight off your feet and I suspect 99% you'll be fine the next day. Just make sure a the carsie is nearby when you take them is my experience lol

Fair play within few hours of taking them they feel like they are doing the job!

Amazed about the speed it hits you though- you get about 30 seconds to get to toilet.!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^^  I don't know ... over 1 week ?  I could understand a couple of days ....

@Barsie -- Bro, just go to the hospital .. quick and painless .. get it checked out .. probably nothing to worry about .. but, over a week is kinda a long time for something to persist ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, code_slayer_bkk said:

^^^^^  I don't know ... over 1 week ?  I could understand a couple of days ....

@Barsie -- Bro, just go to the hospital .. quick and painless .. get it checked out .. probably nothing to worry about .. but, over a week is kinda a long time for something to persist ...

Agree.

You are retaining fluid for some reason. Could be kidney or heart related. Not something to blow off or think it is humidity related.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a REALLY big Fascino in Pattaya north Road, south side, not far from Lotus Tesco, has a huge range of medicines etc even has wheelchairs, mobility aids etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, biggles said:

There is also a REALLY big Fascino in Pattaya north Road, south side, not far from Lotus Tesco, has a huge range of medicines etc even has wheelchairs, mobility aids etc. 

There is also a Fascino on Soi Khao Talo over on the Darkside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fascino branch opposite Wat Chai, South Pattaya road.

But an  update. Water tablets doing the trick but I did find it's a balancing act. In the interest of trying to be healthier when I first had problem I was drinking a lot of water.

I realised few days in taking water tablets that this was not right as I was counteracting 1 with the other. Since reducing my water intake but keeping on water tablets swelling is going down.

On a side note- prior to this for anyone who likes a beer- not a bad idea to take iron tablets (really cheap from any pharmacy).

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...