Got a Thai Bank Account?

biggles

If you do have money  (800k) in the bank be aware of what can happen if u are caught out of Thailand and unable to return

A good friend has been here 20 years and goes back to OZ once a year to see family and a medical check. Last visit Covid struck and he couldn't return. 6 months ago he had a mini stroke with 10% memory loss. Kbank won't let his son withdraw funds, even with a power of Attorney, notarized by the Thai embassy. He has no ATM card to withdraw from OZ. Even if he dies his son has to present the will and go to court to get approval. 

Mind boggling restrictions. How much money is tied up this way! 

• Thanks 1

Yes, I thought that as well.

The problem there is that the phone Sim that they would send an OTP to has expired. To change that phone number he personally has to go into the bank. Also the same if he wants to change his maximum daily withdrawal amount. When they told me this I asked them how could it be called Internet Banking. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, fygjam said:

Two words.

Online banking.

21 hours ago, fygjam said:

What you say about the SIM is true.

On the other hand, I keep my Thai SIM at maximum validity by topping it up every few months with online banking.

Never know when I might need it.

BINGO, having said that i have no intention of ever having any more money in Thailand that i don't need to live on. I don't trust Thailand when dealing with farangs.

• Like 1

'On the other hand, I keep my Thai SIM at maximum validity by topping it up every few months with online banking.' 

Yes, me too tho I use the machines scattered around town.

Unfortunately my friend is not internet savvy anyway but he was only going for a month, but we know how that went awry!