Insurance

Glasseye

I have been doing a lot of research lately into insurance. Something that is IMO critical to stay on top of, for several reasons. Things are always changing and becoming tighter, more expensive and complex to manage. For many of us in here who are living abroad currently or considering it in the future the complexities are compounded considerably. 

There are many who just throw their hands up when  it comes to insurance. It is easy to understand why, but failing to maintain proper coverage (not just the minimum required by law) can end up being a complete nightmare.

Obviously there are endless insurance agents (sales) out there, expat groups who give "advice", etc. etc. But, many of them have profit motives. 

I am curious to know if anyone has had any experience in working with a non profit type insurance advisor, group or agency who was independent. Someone who could assist with understanding the laws (and coverage options) while balancing the needs of the individuals seeking the advice. Someone who really has a handle on the complexities of the industry and able to give honest, sound advice. Even if there is a small fee involved in that kind of guidance from someone truly independent could be very helpful for many people.

Have you found any really good resources ?

8 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

A lot of insurance related stuff is country specific.

Yes... which is part of the point I am making regarding the added complexities, especially for those nearing or at the age where Medicare is involved (obviously for U.S. members.

But for those living "long term" in Thailand it would be helpful to have access to a fee only advisor.

Just after posting this thread I came across this article which kind of discusses some of the points and questions I am referring to.

https://medium.com/@sam.d.newland/why-financial-advisors-who-sell-insurance-are-wolves-in-sheeps-clothing-how-to-find-a-good-15309133bdf

Wish I could help you, but wifey and I both have AIA for Health Insurance here. I asked her to give me an honest opinion, as to whether they would give you a fair and comprehensive analysis without trying to "upsell you" for things you don't really need. I did not get the impression they would. 

On 12/23/2022 at 9:04 AM, Yessongs said:

Wish I could help you, but wifey and I both have AIA for Health Insurance here. I asked her to give me an honest opinion, as to whether they would give you a fair and comprehensive analysis without trying to "upsell you" for things you don't really need. I did not get the impression they would. 

Check the pre-existing exclusions closely bro. You might be shocked.

I am now seriously looking into a product from GEOblue company (Xplorer policy). They are affiliated with BCBS, appears to be very comprehensive and does not hit you with the pre-existing limitations. I have a phone consult with a rep. I have been exchanging emails with. I am crossing all t's and dotting all i's on this one. Very expensive, but with the Thai policy I feel like I am flushing money down the shitter. I don't want to expect one thing and then latter learn I'm not covered. Bastards are sneaky that way.

• Thumbs Up 1