Wifey's widows pension when i ''Pop me clogs''- Anyone have any knowledge/experiences ?

Pumpuynarak

13 hours ago, fforest said:

I have no help to give, other than to say all this is damm complicated and I would find and pay a professional in the UK to find and give me an exact answer to this question....

I understand what you say and i thought exactly the same but at the end of the day it was'nt that difficult to find out the info required just painstakingly lengthy due to being put on hold on the phone, what is more of an issue is getting the R43 form completed correctly every year, a Thai national with limited understanding of English and particularly forms would find completion virtually impossible without assistance.

HMRC are not making the process very easy/straightforward imo, i wonder why ???? Why for instance should the R43 form have to be completed every year to claim the personal allowance and tax refund ? does'nt make sense to me, once you complete one time that should be enough for future years.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2023 at 10:05 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

When i pop me clogs wifey will be entitled to a widows pension from my private company pension scheme. I have a letter from them detailing their requirements for her to claim but they will not detail any tax liability she will have, they just refer me to HMRC. Now as a Thai citizen who does'nt hold British citizenship and who has never lived or worked in the UK would she be liable to income tax on this pension. Also if she is liable to tax would she receive the personal allowance before the tax is applied ?

I've tried calling the HMRC but getting through to a useful person who can answer my query has proved difficult to say the least.

Her widows pension is not to be sniffed at as its currently 29K gross per year with annual rises of between 1-3%. It makes a massive difference to what she would receive each month if its not taxable/or if it is taxable would she receive the personal allowance before tax is calculated ?

Has anyone any experience/knowledge of this situation and can help me out ? TIA

This kind of thing is way above my pay grade mate. Talk to you lawyer.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Glasseye said:

This kind of thing is way above my pay grade mate. Talk to you lawyer.

Here ya go mate.......

On 7/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, Pumpuynarak said:

I understand what you say and i thought exactly the same but at the end of the day it was'nt that difficult to find out the info required just painstakingly lengthy due to being put on hold on the phone, what is more of an issue is getting the R43 form completed correctly every year, a Thai national with limited understanding of English and particularly forms would find completion virtually impossible without assistance.

HMRC are not making the process very easy/straightforward imo, i wonder why ???? Why for instance should the R43 form have to be completed every year to claim the personal allowance and tax refund ? does'nt make sense to me, once you complete one time that should be enough for future years.