AA (actually NA in this case) for Thai Nationals in the Khon Kaen Area

ChiFlyer

Another sad story of a younger person falling victim to a growing addiction to mood altering substances. As I understand things Ice in this case.

The oldest son of my wife has become a pretty sad story through years of drug abuse. I won't get into all the gruesome details, but he is 25 and a very bad bet to see 30.

I really detest the entitled shit, for the number of times he has made his mother cry. Ok, I made mine cry a few times as well.

Anyway, I Googled AA meetings for Thai Nationals in Isan, in case we can get him to one. I saw nothing listed for Khon Kaen. I am not paying for rehab for this guy. It just will not take at this time.

Anyway, if anyone has some suggestions as to Khon Kaen locations it would be appreciated. I doubt he will go on his own, but maybe we can get his GF to get him to a meeting.

• Sad 1

Try this number - 24 Hour Help Line Number: +66 (0) 600035635

There's loads of online meetings as well these days, can do they from a phone/tablet/laptop etc from his bedroom.

I do the odd Belfast NA meet online, where i got clean and sober, with me now living in London. 

The helpline should be able to direct you, but he has to want the help. Still, great of you to try and help.

Good luck!

• Great Info 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

https://na-thailand.org/contact/

Please feel free in contact us by email, phone, Line, or fill out the form below:

line-website.jpg

To contact Web Chair for changes to meetings on the website follow this link:

• Great Info 1

Thank you @Krapow

I spent 12 years in AA and it did me a lot of good. My larger problem (self-destructive wise was NA). Depressants in my case. I do thank God that I kicked before Oxytocin became an available alternative. I would not have survived the Statler assault on life.

I do drink a little Red Wine these days here in my dotage. It helps to kill the old age body pains. Yeah, famous last words of an alcoholic.

Take care.

CF

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Thank you @Krapow

I spent 12 years in AA and it did me a lot of good. My larger problem (self-destructive wise was NA). Depressants in my case. I do thank God that I kicked before Oxytocin became an available alternative. I would not have survived the Statler assault on life.

I do drink a little Red Wine these days here in my dotage. It helps to kill the old age body pains. Yeah, famous last words of an alcoholic.

Take care.

CF

Congratulations on getting to your dotage, i didn't know you were on the firm. There's sadly many of us who don't get to our dotage.

Love that word 'dotage' by the way. I was born in Northern Ireland, but my ethnicity would be an Ulster/Scot. My family on both my mum and dad's sides have for generations moved back and forward from Scotland to Ulster to Scotland following the work.

'Dotage' reminds me of the Ulster/Scots language i grew up listening to my grandparents speak, and to a lesser degree my parents. 

Like, doting would normally mean in English adoring, very fond of. But in Ulster/Scots is used to say someone is getting confused, usually with age. 'The Auld wan's started doting' . As in the elderly person is starting to get confused. 

And Rabbie Burns night on Thursday!

But you might already know all this, many many Ulster/Scots went to America, quite a few even become Presidents!

The red wine, sure you know yourself best by now. Me personally, only thing i miss is a joint of weed or hash to chill out with after a long day sometimes. But i don't because it would get me back smoking tobacco, and i definitely don't want to do that. I couldn't just do pipes, i'd need a joint, which would have me back on the tobacco, so i don't. Maybe a good thing anyway.

As for your wife's son. To me addiction is addiction. But alcohol and meth are completely different drugs. Because that's what ice is, crystal meth. So i'd definitely try and get him to use NA before AA if he's willing. The two drugs have completely different highs, and lows, so best to get him to listen to people where he can relate, hear something he's done or going through. I mean, if you take too much alcohol you'll fall about the place, pass out eventually. If you take too much meth, you'll not sleep for a week, run about mad wired to f**k, full of drug induced psychosis due to lack of sleep, food etc. 

I think it's rife in parts of Thailand, so if he will attend a Thai NA meet i'm pretty certain it'll mostly be meth users of some description, ice, ya baa or whatever other concoction they're making over the border in Myanmar. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

I was very fortunate as I was an alcoholic at a young age stopped drinking on my own at 25 and haven't had a drink in almost 42 years. It's not an easy thing to kick I must have stopped drinking 50 times before it finally took and I could actually leave it. Being in the bar business here for 15 years I guess many would probably wonder how I could stay away from it. But once the initial monkey was removed from my back it was never again an issue but it's not an easy road.

Years ago on the secrets forum a fairly new member asked if there was an AA meeting here in Pattaya. I saw the post come up I'm guessing before most and maybe before anyone and told anyone that criticized or gave a smart-ass remark would be removed from the forum it's not a funny thing it's a sickness. Nobody did in fact a few people posted about the meeting they have here in town.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Yesitisdakid said:

I was very fortunate as I was an alcoholic at a young age stopped drinking on my own at 25 and haven't had a drink in almost 42 years. It's not an easy thing to kick I must have stopped drinking 50 times before it finally took and I could actually leave it. Being in the bar business here for 15 years I guess many would probably wonder how I could stay away from it. But once the initial monkey was removed from my back it was never again an issue but it's not an easy road.

Years ago on the secrets forum a fairly new member asked if there was an AA meeting here in Pattaya. I saw the post come up I'm guessing before most and maybe before anyone and told anyone that criticized or gave a smart-ass remark would be removed from the forum it's not a funny thing it's a sickness. Nobody did in fact a few people posted about the meeting they have here in town.

I have a few friends in the Pattaya area who have given me the impression that there are quite a few meetings of "The Friends of Bill". I do not attend these, as I currently lack the one requirement needed to attend -> "A desire not to drink today". I do not believe that I have a problem at this time, as I have a few glasses of wine at night.

At the same time, I would be interested in attending an open meeting. I think the Mrs might get something out of this given the problems she has as a family member of an addict. In our case a Thai meeting would be best.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1