Anyone ever had a Bangkok Bank Credit Card Hacked ?

ChiFlyer

I just (minutes ago) had an unusual transaction hit my Bangkok Bank Credit Card.

It was for 0.03 GBP from a party I never heard of. I never have transactions against this card in anything but THB. I am very judicious in my use of this credit card, using it only for Lazada and a few restaurants. I run it (credit cards in Thailand are fixed deposit accounts) at a fairly low limit of 50,000.

In all likelihood this is a typeo that occurred somewhere along the line by someone. Still discretion remains the better part of valor, so I will call Bangkok Bank tomorrow. Obviously my main concern is this might be a hacker attempt in order to set up something more nefarious. 

Also, just as an fyi, in checking this out tonight the Bangkok Bank Mobile App is throwing a lot of "connection unstable" messages. It is Saturday night.

A small deposit like that is typical when setting up an ACH transfer between two accounts. Usually there will be two small amounts deposited. Then for the connecting account you enter those deposit amounts as part of the veryfication process (link).

---------------

Lately I have been getting text messages for a package delivery. Went to the friggen post office in blistering heat to find out it was a scam attempt. There were several of them but they stopped.

Guy at the post office confirmed it, he starts to chuckle says... "There is a lot of scamming going on in Thailand". I started to laugh, I said "Shit, there is a lot of scamming going on everywhere". We both busted out laughing. I think I made the guys day as he was sweating his balls off sorting packages.

I'd cut the balls off of any or these mother fcukers doing these scams. Despicable pieces of shit.

They take advantage of poor folks, vulnerable, etc. Really boils my blood.

Edited by Glasseye
  • Great Info 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

[...]

I'd cut the balls off of any or these mother fcukers doing these scams. Despicable pieces of shit.

Now you are making two possibly erroneous assumptions:

1. That they have balls, in my experience about half the scammers  are female
  2. That they have mothers to fcuk

1 minute ago, Freee!! said:

Now you are making two possibly erroneous assumptions:

1. That they have balls, in my experience about half the scammers  are female
  2. That they have mothers to fcuk

Funny...

After I posted that I thought to myself that it seems like many of the "alledged" scammers we see in the news are of the female species. 

But, I got too busy looking up Revenge of the Nerds to correct myself.

• Great Info 1

1 hour ago, Glasseye said:

A small deposit like that is typical when setting up an ACH transfer between two accounts. Usually there will be two small amounts deposited. Then for the connecting account you enter those deposit amounts as part of the veryfication process (link).

---------------

Absolutely right. Paypal used to charge £1 then re deposit to check the A/C was legit, Hargreaves Lansdown do (did) the exact same thing.

Any inward or outward charge that I know is not correct raises a red flag to me.

hopefully @ChiFlyer it's innocent and easily explained mate. Definitely worth checking though, as if it is a scammer , they may be of the belief and hope that 0.03 is such a small amount, it will go unnoticed, but in reality it's an underhand method of getting your CC verified for them to do their scam..

Edited by Butch
  • Thumbs Up 1

I notice anything i think might be dodgy, i freeze my bank cards via the app straight away, until i can get talking to the Bank.

Even if something did still happen, i can show i'm being proactive. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Glasseye said:

Funny...

After I posted that I thought to myself that it seems like many of the "alledged" scammers we see in the news are of the female species. 

But, I got too busy looking up Revenge of the Nerds to correct myself.

Bathing their genitals in battery acid should have a lasting affect for both sexes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Posted (edited)

Called Bangkok Bank this Morning.

Credit Card and the transaction in question are now blocked. They are sending out a new card and it should be here in about a week. Only problem is that they had my old address for the credit card even though I had changed said address on the main account. For this reason they have to send the replacement card to my Jomtien Bangkok Bank Branch. Not a big deal. I need to stop by there for something anyway.

hmmm - I see a vision of myself signing 25 pieces of paper.

We are leaving for Bangkok next Sunday, so looks like I may be making that trip without a Thai Bank Credit Card. Note to self -> extra stop for THB at the ATM.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Great Info 4