Sign in to follow this  
Britboy

Does anyone do transfers into Bangkok bank?

I've successfully opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank and have online banking via an app on my iphone.

So I'm trying to set up my Thai account as a payee from my UK bank.

When I put in the SWIFT code, it's finding two alternatives. Not sure which one to choose - don't want to send money to the wrong one then have it get "lost" for a period.

The SWIFT code given on the paperwork the bank gave me is BKKBTHBK. My UK bank are giving the two alternatives where I need to choose one of them:-

BKKBTHBKTRD or BKKBTHBKXXX

Does anyone know which is the correct one to choose?

Thanks in advance for anyone who's come across this and got the right info.

4 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I've successfully opened a bank account at Bangkok Bank and have online banking via an app on my iphone.

So I'm trying to set up my Thai account as a payee from my UK bank.

When I put in the SWIFT code, it's finding two alternatives. Not sure which one to choose - don't want to send money to the wrong one then have it get "lost" for a period.

The SWIFT code given on the paperwork the bank gave me is BKKBTHBK. My UK bank are giving the two alternatives where I need to choose one of them:-

BKKBTHBKTRD or BKKBTHBKXXX

Does anyone know which is the correct one to choose?

Thanks in advance for anyone who's come across this and got the right info.

If you are not sending massive amounts then someone like Transferwise is a good way of sending money, cheaper than SWIFT and probably at a better rate. Just need your bank name and account number etc. I find it convenient for my needs.

For your info as well your question could be answered here:

Swift Code BKKBTHBKXXX Breakdown

No. meaningful digits:
8 - The short 8-letter swift refers to the PRIMARY Office of BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED
Institution / Bank Code:
BKKB - This is the institution / bank code assigned to BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED.
Country Code:
TH - This is the 2-letter country code associated with THAILAND (TH).
Location Code:
BK - This represents the location code and the second digit/character has a value of "K". See swift code general structure explanation above for details.
Branch Code:
XXX - This branch code value means this is the Primary Office (or Head Office) branch for BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (this branch code is optional).
Appears the XXX is optional, it's ommitance won't hinder your transfer as you will also be giving them your account number and name.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

If you are not sending massive amounts then someone like Transferwise is a good way of sending money, cheaper than SWIFT and probably at a better rate. Just need your bank name and account number etc. I find it convenient for my needs.

For your info as well your question could be answered here:

Swift Code BKKBTHBKXXX Breakdown

No. meaningful digits:
8 - The short 8-letter swift refers to the PRIMARY Office of BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED
Institution / Bank Code:
BKKB - This is the institution / bank code assigned to BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED.
Country Code:
TH - This is the 2-letter country code associated with THAILAND (TH).
Location Code:
BK - This represents the location code and the second digit/character has a value of "K". See swift code general structure explanation above for details.
Branch Code:
XXX - This branch code value means this is the Primary Office (or Head Office) branch for BANGKOK BANK PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED (this branch code is optional).
Appears the XXX is optional, it's ommitance won't hinder your transfer as you will also be giving them your account number and name.

Thanks very much for this HD, much appreciated.

Looks like I can use the XXX one then - wonder what the TRD option is though. Odd to have two options.

I'll take a look at Transferwise too - that's really useful, thanks.

I need something setting up, I'm getting hammered drawing out via ATM's. The exchange rate is pitiful, my UK bank have a fee and so does the local ATM. It's probably working out, taking account of the bank costs, I'm getting a little above 31 baht to the £ . . . 😫

Agree with Dave ref using Transferwise or similar.  For what it's worth, my UK bank (TSB) has the following on the page for setting up an international transfer:

Enter the BIC/SWIFT code to create a new recipient. We'll add 'XXX' to any codes that are 8 characters long.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Britboy said:

Thanks very much for this HD, much appreciated.

Looks like I can use the XXX one then - wonder what the TRD option is though. Odd to have two options.

I'll take a look at Transferwise too - that's really useful, thanks.

I need something setting up, I'm getting hammered drawing out via ATM's. The exchange rate is pitiful, my UK bank have a fee and so does the local ATM. It's probably working out, taking account of the bank costs, I'm getting a little above 31 baht to the £ . . . 😫

If you used transfer wise today for £1000 this is what you would receive. This is right now:

Today rate.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On Transfer wise you can stipulate how much you want the recipient to receive which is then calculated into GBP. The one above is GBP calculated into Thai baht with charge.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

If you used transfer wise today for £1000 this is what you would receive. This is right now:

Today rate.jpg

That's fantastic Dave, thanks. Wow, what a difference. HSBC can go f**k themselves . . . 😝

All you guys mentioning Transferwise, funny thing happened just now. I saw their home page, $1,000 CAD= xyz in foreign currency. I plug in THB, it was under 23k.

I thought “ isn’t this service supposed to be cheap with low fees” ???

Well it is, my dollar just slipped to its lowest in well over a decade. Not going to stop me from booking my flight for the winter, but damn! 25 or 26 earlier this year sounds much better

3 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

All you guys mentioning Transferwise, funny thing happened just now. I saw their home page, $1,000 CAD= xyz in foreign currency. I plug in THB, it was under 23k.

I thought “ isn’t this service supposed to be cheap with low fees” ???

Well it is, my dollar just slipped to its lowest in well over a decade. Not going to stop me from booking my flight for the winter, but damn! 25 or 26 earlier this year sounds much better

Absolute bummer mate, feel for you. Us Brits have got it worse though, if that's any consolation.

I'm really hoping Boris sorts us out. Was great to see him and Trump getting on well this morning at breakfast, before the G7 meeting. Massive Trade deal with US and Boris being tough with these Europeans is just what we need. Shame he wasn't in position at the time we voted to leave. Theresa May has a lot to answer for. Even some of the commentators today on Sky News were saying how comfortable Boris is in negotiating as opposed to how uncomfortable and how basically pathetic she was.

16 minutes ago, Britboy said:

That's fantastic Dave, thanks. Wow, what a difference. HSBC can go f**k themselves . . . 😝

I found out about Transfer wise when I was on Pattaya Live, a few of the guys were going on about it but it took me a while to move off Worldremit and check out Transferwise, I should have acted sooner.

My wife sends money to her family and it can be in Thailand in 12 hours, SWIFT can hang somewhere in Thailand for days and the charges are rediculous and you really don't know the rate until you look at your bank account when the money drops in. Transferwise tell you up front how much it is costing.

I feel safe using them, look at their website and reviews. 

Also as it is a Sunday it may only arrive on Tuesday but if doing the transaction tomorrow it should still be arriving Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, Britboy said:

Absolute bummer mate, feel for you. Us Brits have got it worse though, if that's any consolation.

I'm really hoping Boris sorts us out. Was great to see him and Trump getting on well this morning at breakfast, before the G7 meeting. Massive Trade deal with US and Boris being tough with these Europeans is just what we need. Shame he wasn't in position at the time we voted to leave. Theresa May has a lot to answer for. Even some of the commentators today on Sky News were saying how comfortable Boris is in negotiating as opposed to how uncomfortable and how basically pathetic she was.

My first trip in 2008 some lads I met were complaining that it already had gone from 72 to 48, don’t quote me on the exact rate and time frame. There’s no doubt the £ has been hit hardest of all the major expat home nations. Feel bad for all the pensioners on fixed income, some must have really had to adjust their lifestyle. Half the baht, plus many items doubling.....400% more that bites. I know nothing back home has jumped that much

3 minutes ago, Horizondave said:

I found out about Transfer wise when I was on Pattaya Live, a few of the guys were going on about it but it took me a while to move off Worldremit and check out Transferwise, I should have acted sooner.

My wife sends money to her family and it can be in Thailand in 12 hours, SWIFT can hang somewhere in Thailand for days and the charges are rediculous and you really don't know the rate until you look at your bank account when the money drops in. Transferwise tell you up front how much it is costing.

I feel safe using them, look at their website and reviews. 

I've just been on the site and have registered. Looks great. It's quoting if I do it today the funds will be in my account here tomorrow. That's really slick.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I've just been on the site and have registered. Looks great. It's quoting if I do it today the funds will be in my account here tomorrow. That's really slick.

That seems odd as on Dave's screen shot upthread it's showing 27th and I'm seeing the same.

13 minutes ago, Golfingboy said:

My first trip in 2008 some lads I met were complaining that it already had gone from 72 to 48, don’t quote me on the exact rate and time frame. There’s no doubt the £ has been hit hardest of all the major expat home nations. Feel bad for all the pensioners on fixed income, some must have really had to adjust their lifestyle. Half the baht, plus many items doubling.....400% more that bites. I know nothing back home has jumped that much

Close but I think more like 54thb to £1 in 2008. Still a lot more than nowc

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, KWA said:

That seems odd as on Dave's screen shot upthread it's showing 27th and I'm seeing the same.

Each individual will be advised as to when the money would likely be in their account, it might differ by country from/to or bank etc sent to etc.  Bangkok Bank is a clearing bank (merchant bank) for many others through Thailand as far as I am aware so maybe a quicker route for your money.

When I used to send my money by Swift to my Kasikorn bank account in Hua Hin I was told my money was delayed due to it going via a third party in Bangkok.

Edited by Horizondave

9 minutes ago, KWA said:

My bad, it was Euros I was looking at. Apologies.

Out of interest last time I used Transferwise when actually in Thailand the money ended up in SCB later the same day

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, RR007 said:

Out of interest last time I used Transferwise when actually in Thailand the money ended up in SCB later the same day

Yeah it’s the same for me. Sent money yesterday 1pm thai time will usually be in between 3/4pm today.

• Thanks 1

Follow up on Bangkok Bank, I sent a text message to the number they gave me for the branch asking which of the two SWIFT code choices I should pick. They told me BKKBTHBKXXX was the right one to use. That'll be irrelevant now as I'll be using Transferwise.

I had another query too, which they answered. The app on my iphone works great, but I want to use it on my laptop too, via ibanking website. I tried to register and login using the user ID number they generated on Friday when I opened the account, but it came back with user id not recognised. The text message from the branch said that the user id has now expired. WTF? I have to go back into the branch so they can generate another one. Bit of a pain, but at least I'll get it sorted.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Britboy said:

I had another query too, which they answered. The app on my iphone works great, but I want to use it on my laptop too, via ibanking website. I tried to register and login using the user ID number they generated on Friday when I opened the account, but it came back with user id not recognised. The text message from the branch said that the user id has now expired. WTF? I have to go back into the branch so they can generate another one. Bit of a pain, but at least I'll get it sorted.

I’m the same, never been able to log in on my laptop can only use the app on my iPhone. I need to go in and see about getting it sorted. 

2 minutes ago, JPK said:

I’m the same, never been able to log in on my laptop can only use the app on my iPhone. I need to go in and see about getting it sorted. 

Have you tried registering on line with your card number and PIN?  It may be easier than getting the bank to set you up based on problems I had.

• Great Info 1

I use HSBC and alway select the send GBP option.

I once forgot and sent TB the exchange rate was very poor.

JDM

Sign in to follow this