Cooking at Home

ChiFlyer

Posted (edited)

We kicked off Songkran by having the Mrs family over for a pool afternoon and supper to follow. The crew had a seafood lunch to get things started and then the younger people jumped into the pool armed with water guns. A good time was had by all.

I made a casual supper that consisted of Sloppy Jane Sandwiches (a version of Sloppy Joes but with ground chicken instead of beef). Sides were some frozen waffle fries and a seasoned corn dish (my creation on the corn dish).

Here is a link for the Sloppy Janes. This is written for ground turkey, but I have never seen that in the Pattaya area. This recipe is quite tasty IMO. I usually make a fair sized batch and freeze the leftovers for later use. I used a frozen leftover batch today.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sloppy-jane-sliders-1961874#communityReviews

Given the use of reheated components, supper was on the table in under an hour.

The spread.

Sloppy Janes.jpg

The hit of the day was the Hagen Daz Ice Cream for dessert. The 7 year old guest gave me some big repeated thumbs up gestures for the Hagen Daz.

Leftovers were one sandwich.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/2/2022 at 11:22 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Mongolian Beef to be served over Jasmin Rice

https://thewoksoflife.com/mongolian-beef-recipe/#recipe

I have made this recipe several times and very much like the taste. As the author points out one can tailor the recipe to their personal tastes. I did the following:

• I went much heavier on the minced ginger and garlic.
  • I changed the sauce components -> replaced 1 TBSP of soy sauce with 1 TBSP of fish sauce, added some heat (I hit it with a strong shot of Sriracha sauce, 1 TBSP of Sambal Olek might be better).
  • I used Sesame Oil for the marinade.

Only one pic.

Mongolian Beef.jpg

Mongolian Beef Revisited

I made this recipe tonight. I have changed it a bit since the last post.

• I backed down the Ginger and Garlic a little.
  • I continue to use Sesame Oil for the marinade.
  • I changed the sauce
    Reduced the Brown Sugar to 1 TBSP
    Added 1 TBSP Sambal Olek replacing the Sriracha
    Added 1 TBSP Hoisen Sauce to balance the Brown Sugar reduction
    I continued with the stated Fish Sauce -  Soy Sauce combo
    Added 1/2 tsp of freshly ground black pepper
  • I cut the Flank Steak into longer strips. I also used a very good Wagyu Flank that I had bought online for about 500. This alone made a huge difference. I buy my Flank from Sloane's. Sloane's goes out of stock frequently, so when I notice that they are available, I buy 3 or 4 and toss them into the freezer. Flank is my most often used medium cost beef steak for stir fries etc.
  • I finish the dish with Sesame Seeds.

Ready to serve

Mongolian Beef - A.jpg

Plated

Mongolian Beef - B.jpg

Lacking all humility, I will state that it was delicious.

• Thumbs Up 1