Sailplane With A 31m Wingspan

forcebwithu

5 hours ago, Freee!! said:

It is a good thing that glider does have an engine, I doubt those wings can handle a standard winch start. With the way those wings flex, it will be inherently stable.

For those that might not know what a winch launch looks like and what can happen if you let a wing drop too far on takeoff.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

For those that might not know what a winch launch looks like and what can happen if you let a wing drop too far on takeoff.

I've flown (as a passenger) on ASK 21s (with Aeroclub Wolfsburg), they also use a winch. And I unfortunately also see one go down (in 1989 if memory serves), quite similar to what is shown in the video but from higher and without the wing dragging on the grass.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Freee!! said:

I've flown (as a passenger) on ASK 21s (with Aeroclub Wolfsburg), they also use a winch. And I unfortunately also see one go down (in 1989 if memory serves), quite similar to what is shown in the video but from higher and without the wing dragging on the grass.

I never experienced a winch launch. All my flights used aero tow. Pic of our club's (Wisconsin Soaring Society) Schweizer 2-32 on tow.

image.jpeg

My sailplane, an Open Cirus 17m ship.

image.jpeg

Edited by forcebwithu
  • Like 1