Sign in to follow this  
fygjam

Sometimes we forget the housekeeping.

It's been warming up in Perth and the computer has been starting to annoy me with the fans whirring away.

After installing the monthly hotfixes, during the reboot the system dropped into the BIOS, CPU over temperature.

CPU heatsink was clogged with dust and a fine layer of dust over the motherboard and other components.

A bit of judicious use with the air compressor and the dust was redistributed.

CPU - 20°C cooler

Motherboard - 7°C cooler

Disk drives - 5°C cooler

And no fan noise.

Temperatures measured with Speccy (from the people who brought you CCleaner).

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

i make the same mistake.  at work the untis are all in a sealed ac room, no dust so i always forget the one at home.  even the vents are clogged wit dust.  thanks for the reminder.  will be using the mini vacuum later

• Thumbs Up 1

When not using i always cover my com and keyboard, the amount of shit flying around in the air here when ya got windows open has to be seen to be believed. Its more like a black grit than just dust, i hate to think what its doing to me lungs, smoking's gotta be safer lol  

PS - I have to say my Pioneer DVD/CD player that is no more than 18 months old is f***** due to the temps here and it being in a confined space with little ventilation, be warned.....

Edited by Pumpuynarak

1 hour ago, Pumpuynarak said:

When not using i always cover my com and keyboard, the amount of shit flying around in the air here when ya got windows open has to be seen to be believed. Its more like a black grit than just dust, i hate to think what its doing to me lungs, smoking's gotta be safer lol  

PS - I have to say my Pioneer DVD/CD player that is no more than 18 months old is f***** due to the temps here and it being in a confined space with little ventilation, be warned.....

Trouble is most dirt gets in when it's going and the fans suck it in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’ve noticed that since I installed my new double glazed doors the dust and dirt in the bar has reduced considerably.

That includes fans and all electronic devices.

Sign in to follow this