How Essential are the bars being open to your visit to Pattaya?

Jambo

We have to accept Thailand for what it is, otherwise we may not chose to live in or visit the Kingdom. 

That does not mean turning a blind eye to all we see and experience, but to be cautious of that which is not in our control or pose a threat to us. 

Of course there are other sides that tourists often ignore or do not see, but then again, they are there for a holiday. 

Expats and long stayers will undoubtably have a slightly different view which I have also experienced myself

One could argue that tourists are exploited to a degree, everywhere in the world, to more or lesser degree. 

I guess, i the case of Thailand, and the question posed in this topic, it really depends on whether you feel that bars and nightlife are essential for your visit. 

I am one, who enjoys the bars and nightlife, but I have spent enough time in Thailand to know and understand the way things work and what to do and what not to do, to enjoy my stay. Even with that knowledge, I am still capable of misjudgement after a number of alcoholic beverages. 

My most enjoyable times, were in the early days.my Naive period as I call it, when I saw what I wanted to see and believed in what I wanted to believe. 

Many years later, and far more cynical, I still enjoy the experience with a certain amount of adaptation. 

For those, who are not so concerned about the bars and nightlife, things are far more simpler and in some respects, more relaxing. 

Places like Pattaya offer us an escape or a refuge from our own environment, but with that, we have to also expect the conditions under which that alternative lifestyle operates. 

Just my twopence worth. But I will say, that we should also be careful, regarding rules etc as to how far we go in our criticism of the Thai establishment, if you know what I mean 😊

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

It is good that you live your life away from the underbelly of Thai life but please stop with the sanctimonious comments.

I seem to have missed something. What were the "sanctimonious" comments, please?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazle said:

I seem to have missed something. What were the "sanctimonious" comments, please?

Treating us like children by telling us all the legal charges we'd face which I then pointed out the reality of what could happen if any of us with families might face if we ever crossed the BIB.

EDIT: Like the bloke from Khao Talo a couple of years ago. Villified on the forums by people with no knowledge that he had little choice. He has since moved away with his family.

Edited by Derek Dangleberries
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Treating us like children by telling us all the legal charges we'd face which I then pointed out the reality of what could happen if any of us with families might face if we ever crossed the BIB.

EDIT: Like the bloke from Khao Talo a couple of years ago. Villified on the forums by people with no knowledge that he had little choice. He has since moved away with his family.

Rubbish....John Luke was just adding to the discussion with some good information.

The only one going on with the sanctimonious comments is yourself.

cheers 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, roobob said:

Rubbish....John Luke was just adding to the discussion with some good information.

The only one going on with the sanctimonious comments is yourself.

cheers 

Criticism accepted.

Sanctimonious = making a show of being morally superior to other people.

You obviously believe that being  "turned" into a Police snitch because of a minor misdemeanor is a morally good thing.

I don't have any problems with your opinion, nor with others that have it or express it.

Those that live here with their families permanently may think differently about breaking the law and the risks that go with it.

I won't be out drinking in a bar whether it be from a bottle, glass or paper cup so perhaps in that respect I am Sanctimonious but it has f**k all to do with morals. It is because it is the law!

2 hours ago, Derek Dangleberries said:

Criticism accepted.

Sanctimonious = making a show of being morally superior to other people.

You obviously believe that being  "turned" into a Police snitch because of a minor misdemeanor is a morally good thing.

I don't have any problems with your opinion, nor with others that have it or express it.

Those that live here with their families permanently may think differently about breaking the law and the risks that go with it.

I won't be out drinking in a bar whether it be from a bottle, glass or paper cup so perhaps in that respect I am Sanctimonious but it has f**k all to do with morals. It is because it is the law!

I never said anything about being a person being a police snitch was a good or bad thing...I said nothing....so please do not tell me what I believe there or not.

My comments were directed to you about your reply to Luke John and I still stand by what I said.

cheers