Restaurant Recomendations in the Hua Yai area?

ChiFlyer

Bang Saray - The Beach Restaurant

I noticed that this low key casual place was getting some complimentary reviews. We decided to give it a try,

https://www.thebeachbangsaray.com/

It is located on the North end of Bang Saray Beach Road directly on the Ocean. They have a parking lot. Unless you have additional stops to make, it is advisable to come into Bang Saray on the North exit road. This avoids a lot of traffic.

This is a pleasant inexpensive place with ok food. Service is well short of amazing. Still we are likely to go from time to time because it is laid back in a nice location.

The menu is deep and they have a surprisingly ok moderately priced wine list. We bought a bottle of a French Bordeaux for 1100 and it was not bad. Our total bill including the wine was close to 1800.

A few pics

The view from our table.

Beach Restaurant - A.jpg

Inside of the restaurant

Beach Restaurant - B.jpg

We ordered a few Spring Rolls as an appetizer. Not that great, but also not terrible.

Beach Restaurant - C.jpg

The Mrs ordered a Som Tom Salad, as she frequently does. She said the ingredients were fresh and good, but she boxed it up to work on the seasoning at home. This is not unusual.

Beach Restaurant - D.jpg

I wanted to order a Pocket Pita, but it was not available. I switched to a Pork Chop. Plenty to eat for sure and the sauce was quite good, but I find that the quality of Thai restaurant Pork Chops in general is not great. I will likely go with Thai food next time.

Beach Restaurant - E.jpg

All in all a pleasant enough place, which earned a minor spot in our restaurant rotation.

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We got a bit out of the thread's stated geographic boundaries last night. We went to the "Barrel House" over in Jomtien just South of the Thappraya and Phratamank intersection.

https://thebarrelhouse.co.th/

One of the Mrs long time mates is part of a new group ownership of the place, which was formerly called "Seeland Brewery".

We dined there last night. My impressions were largely favorable.

• Nice mostly wood (I think) decor.
  • Large TV with an NFL Game replay (Dallas-PHL (good game))
  • House wine list is a little pricey. We had a Merlot at 1590, but it was decent.
  • Large diverse menu with some unusual items, such as Suckling Pig. Food prices will seem a bit high to some, but there are a number of items around 300. There was a "Bavarian" section in the menu.
  • Huge beer list, but I do not drink beer. There is a medical reason for that.
  • There is some parking behind the restaurant, but it seems to fill up.
  • Service times need a little work. This was not terrible.
  • They had a decent crowd on a rainy Wednesday Night.

I ordered the Chicken Schnitzel and it was very good. Plenty of food and as I recall it was 320.

Barrel House - B.jpg

The Mrs ordered some kind of Thai Shrimp (Kung) dish and let's say she was less than thrilled with it.

Barrel House - A.jpg

Would I repeat? From my perspective yes, but it is a half hour drive for us and the Thai food would have to become better regarded by the Mrs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Na Jomtien - Drifters

Back when I first started investigating restaurants in this area, a few people recommended Drifters. We tried it tonight.

https://drifters-beach-cafe.business.site/

I felt there were some pluses and minuses with regard to Drifters.

Pluses

• Very laid back casual atmosphere directly on the beach
  • Decent enough Aussie bar food
  • Inexpensive
  • A good choice of beers.  Also wine is available
  • Friendly staff

Minuses

• Like I said Aussie bar food (just not my thing)
  • Car parking could be better
  • Narrow roads in and frequent large tour buses to deal with

We ordered a bottle of less than great Shiraz for 1100. The total bill was under 1600. 

All in all, I can see why some like the place, but it is just not our thing. If someone could recommend what are the better food choices at this place, I would be interested.

A few pics.

Drifters - A.jpg

The Mrs ordered Pad Thai Kung

Drifters - B.jpg

I ordered a Pastrami Sandwich and Fries. The sandwich was disappointing.

Drifters - D.jpg

Drifters - C.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 11:46 PM, ChiFlyer said:

Khao Chi Chan - Mum Aroi

https://moomaroi-restaurant.business.site/

The website is in Thai, but you can see some pics and there is a map. Also shows well on Google Maps for directions. The restaurant is about a 40 minute drive South of Jomtien. Still I would recommend that even the most hardened of Central Pats aficionados makes the trip to the area at least once in a lifetime. 

There are four of these places in the overall area (2 in or near Pattaya, one in Sriracha, and this one near Buddha Mountain that I am reporting on). I have never been to any of them before today. I had noticed that the Pattaya ones get some pretty decent reviews.

This is a Thai seafood place similar to Pupens and Preecha. I would rate the quality of the food as better than both of those. I will give reasons why in the food pics. The others have sea views and Mum Aroi does not, but it is very near Buddha Mountain and that area has some great inland views.

Food Pics

Fried Rice with Crab - look at the size of those crab chunks. Better than anywhere else that I have seen.

Mum Aroi - D.jpg

I have previously written a complementary review of the Mum Aroi out near Buddha Mt. We met up with a few of the Mrs' mates for a NY Eve lunch today. The compliments stand, but we tried a couple of items on the menu that were really good. I thought I would pass on a couple of recommendations.

I tried their Salmon roll. It was delicious.

Mum Aroi 2 - A.jpg

A few side dishes. Again observe the quality of the Fried Rice with Crab. Kaou Phat Poo.

Mum Aroi 2 - B.jpg

A gorgeous looking Som Tom Salad

Mum Aroi 2 - C.jpg

Two Fried Fish dishes

Mum Aroi 2 - D.jpg

Mum Aroi 2 - E.jpg

Edited by ChiFlyer

• 1 month later...

Rimpa Lapin - Na Jomtien

https://www.facebook.com/rimpalapinpattaya?_rdc=1&_rdr

The Mrs had been opposed to trying this place, but did a 180 on that for date night this week. It turned out that the previous time she was there was a packed night during high season. We gave it a try tonight and we were both pleased with both the food and the service.

A couple of words of warning.

• The entrance road from Sukhumvit is currently in terrible shape due to construction. Take it very slow through here or risk losing an oil pan.
  • The stairway down to the lower seating is a bit steep and older more wobbly legs might want to avoid them.

The food and service were both very good. The bill including a bottle of wine was close to 2000.

Some view shots.

Rimpa Lapin - A.jpg

Rimpa Lapin - B.jpg

I had fried pieces of Grouper in a Sweet and Sour Chili Sauce. Very tasty.

Rimpa Lapin - C.jpg

The Mrs ordered a fried Pork Knuckle and it was surprisingly good.

Rimpa Lapin - D.jpg

We will repeat, after the entrance road work is done. We will also make a reservation next time to sit a little higher up.